Buccos @ Braves - 6/11 -Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If the Pirates could just start scoring 8 runs a game they might win as many as they lose. Rumor has it the Braves are pulling the ineffective Gausman from their rotation. I'm thinking a trade of Keller, Tucker and Swaggerty just might be enough to put him next to Archer in the Pirates' formidable rotation. Heck, a deal like that would surely get Neal another extension.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Neverauskas: 2 batters, 2 hits. Gee, sure didn't see that coming. ::)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I saw Donaldson's homer then left to go watch Secret Life of Pets 2. Now that I see the score I'm glad I did that.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Chris Archer has now given up 16 homeruns this season which is just awful. I don’t know what they are gonna do with him once everybody is healthy but if the rotation is fully healthy there is no way he would still be in this rotation right now. It might be time to think about just buying this guy out at the end of the season. The Pirates are now 0-5 on this 10 game road trip, they are 6-16 in their last 22 games, they are now 7 games out of a 2nd wildcard and now have the worst run differential in the NL at -86. It’s about to a lot worse as well before it gets better. You knew this road trip had the potential to be a disaster and a season killer for the Pirates and so far that’s exactly what has happened.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Just saw a funny comment on the Post-Gazette game article. Someone said if Bell is in the all-star HR hitting contest he should select Archer to pitch to him. ;)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Taking a look at the Pirates schedule the next 7 games they have these 2 games left in Atlanta, 3 in Miami this weekend who have lost 6 games in a row, and then 2 at home next week against a bad Tigers team. The Pirates desperately need some wins in this stretch and realistically they need to go something like 5-2 or maybe even 6-1 if they want to begin to think about climbing back near .500 and not be completely and totally buried in the standings because it’s getting to the point right now with them currently 6 games under .500 and 7 games out of a 2nd wildcard spot that if this losing streak continues and the Pirates don’t start winning some games consistently here in the next week they are gonna find themselves both 10 games under .500 and 10 games out of a wildcard or worse. Assuming you can at least maybe split these last two in Atlanta the Pirates then play 5 winnable games in a row against the Marlins and Detroit that they almost HAVE to win and that they better win.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would not assume they can split these final 2 games in Atlanta.

I'm expecting them to lose both and drag a 7-game losing streak into Miami.

The season is on the brink of falling apart RIGHT NOW.

It'll be a minor miracle if this teams gets anywhere close back to the fringes of contention.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This is a 12-man pitching staff in which only 3 pitchers (all back end relievers--Liriano, Crick and Vazquez) have ERAs under 4.40. And Musgrove is the only other pitcher among the 12 with an ERA under 5.05. Four of the 12 have ERAs between 5 and 6, and 4 others have ERAs between 7.71 and 14.54.

In other words, the pitching is just not at a competitive level for MLB. Six of the relievers (Rodriguez, Holmes, Hartlieb, DuRapau, Neverauskas, Feliz) don't even belong in MLB but are thrust into roles above their abilities due to injuries and mgt's failure to acquire suitable replacements (Stratton was the only acquisition and he arrived from the Angels with an 8.59 ERA). Anyone can occasionally have a bad game. Or even a good game. But what these extraordinarily high ERAs show is the overall consistency of bad pitching. And that prevents any consistent winning while ensuring frequent losing. So it's tough to look at upcoming games and predict anything more than noncompetitive pitching efforts. And that, unfortunately, even includes an established starter like Archer, whose statistical decline since 2015 apparently went unnoticed by NH when he traded the farm to add this problematic starter to the rotation.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Archer will be bought out at 1.75 Mil this offseason.   And that's that. 

I think the move which makes the most sense now is to DFA Huntington and give the next man up a shot at fielding a better team.

His midas touch from 2013-2014 is beyond gone.   Riddled with bad trade returns and our inability to develop our prospects.   

When NH is picked up by another organization, maybe he will flourish too like our pitchers have?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

707971606E140 wrote: Archer will be bought out at 1.75 Mil this offseason.   And that's that. 

I think the move which makes the most sense now is to DFA Huntington and give the next man up a shot at fielding a better team.

His midas touch from 2013-2014 is beyond gone.   Riddled with bad trade returns and our inability to develop our prospects.   

When NH is picked up by another organization, maybe he will flourish too like our pitchers have?

Does that mean TB has to return at least part of that heist ?