Pirates vs Padres 5/19 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

020A093E280D2A254B0 wrote: Would it make sense to hit the “opener” at the top of the order at home? You’re taking him out anyway. Hit him third intending to use a PH? It obviously burns a bench bat right off the bat.

And sheesh...can we please have electronic umps? Two of those strike calls on Polanco weren’t even close.

That reminds me of an old Earl Weaver ploy. He didn't see the sense of naming his DH until that spot in the batting order came up just in case there had been a 1st or 2nd inning pitching change before the DH came to bat. So he was naming the previous day's starting pitcher as his DH and then PHing for him when that spot came to bat. On 1 or 2 occasions, the DH in the batting order was a pitcher who had already flown on to the next city to prepare for his next start on the road. Rival mgrs complained that Weaver's DHs weren't always even in the same city where the game was being played. So MLB made a rule that the DH has to bat at least once before being replaced. Weaver was quite a character. :)
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Bell is just a beast right now.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I don't know if he can keep up the pace, but Josh Bell really is making an MVP case.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

JOSH!!!

This is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

And the Bucs need to put this game away.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Josh Bell MVP!!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Bell is just locked in right now and is just crushing everything he hits. I let DuRapau go out and at least pitch the 3rd maybe even the 4th inning. What are they saving him for in all honesty??
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

51766763667B44706766667B020 wrote: Bell is just locked in right now and is just crushing everything he hits. I let DuRapau go out and at least pitch the 3rd maybe even the 4th inning. What are they saving him for in all honesty??

They’re not saving him “for” anything, but saving him from an arm injury if he isn’t stretched out to go that long.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Typical Brault...spotted a five run lead and promptly walks two guys in front of Machado.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Brault walks 2 of his 1st 3 batters. He's utterly useless. Can't throw strikes. >:(