Huntington on fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I agree with you on the Liriano contract. Good in year one, after that it sucked, especially since Huntington felt compelled to throw away two prospects just to get rid of it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A0F080E060C150801121419600 wrote: I agree with you on the Liriano contract.  Good in year one, after that it sucked, especially since Huntington felt compelled to throw away two prospects just to get rid of it.

But if two bad contract years helps build one 98 win season I'd do it every time.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

That's a good point, worth thinking about. Essentially, we traded two prospects for one year of Liriano and Drew Hutchinson.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Another thing that bothers me is not getting the answer you want, you assume it is a lie. And treating situations fairly no matter who is involved.

For example, Huntington was on the Cook and Filliponi show on The Fan (what this thread is about). Listening today, Filliponi keeps bringing up how Huntington didn't trade for an outfielder. Yet, Filliponi asked Huntington this numerous times and Huntington had the same answer (no one was available when Polanco got hurt). Why is Filliponi still bringing this up today? He had the opportunity to ask the man himself. Does Filliponi think he was lied to? He has no proof that Huntington was lying, but treating him unfairly in my opinion.

I try to treat criticism fairly. I defended Alvarez because he was the best option on the Pirates to play 1B. I didn't think he was a super star anymore, but he didn't deserve the criticism in my opinion. But I became an "apologist" and a "Pedro Lover". I defended Neil Walker over Josh Harrison too. But people like Harrison, so my opinion was questioned. I was just treating the situation fairly.

Some said they will follow the Indians now because they have a better owner. They rip on Nutting and his spending, but the Indians have been much worse with their current Owner for a longer time. Yeah, the Indians made a run last year and almost won. They are doing it again this year. How is that not like the Pirates in 2013-2015? The Indians have made the playoffs the same amount of time in many more years. The Indians have had better teams so many times, yet never put the effort or money to build upon that. Yet, people want to jump on their bandwagon. Sorry, saying how great the Indians owner is by bashing Nutting is not fair criticism in my opinion.

It just feels like it is anti-ownership no matter the situation.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have followed the Bucs since the 1960s and I will continue to follow them, but I am so tired of Bob Nutting not spending a little more on this franchise. I am in agreement that I believe Neal Huntington is a good GM, but as it has been stated he operates with one hand tied behind his back. If Nutting does not want to spend at the mid level like other franchises he should either fold his tent and sell or either bring in some additional investors to pump money into the club. Pittsburgh has a ballpark that is second to none, and its fans deserve to have a team that can have a successful playoff run.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Another thing that bothers me is not getting the answer you want, you assume it is a lie.  And treating situations fairly no matter who is involved.

For example, Huntington was on the Cook and Filliponi show on The Fan (what this thread is about).  Listening today, Filliponi keeps bringing up how Huntington didn't trade for an outfielder.  Yet, Filliponi asked Huntington this numerous times and Huntington had the same answer (no one was available when Polanco got hurt).  Why is Filliponi still bringing this up today?  He had the opportunity to ask the man himself.  Does Filliponi think he was lied to?  He has no proof that Huntington was lying, but treating him unfairly in my opinion.

That's just a little hard to believe. There are 29 other teams. Most teams carry 5 OFers. That's a lot of OFers. Yet not a single team was willing to trade a competent OFer? The Orioles carried 6 OFers most of the season. They couldn't find ways to use Hyun Soo Kim and traded him a week ago. Howie Kendrick and Scott Van Slyke were also traded in the past week. So NH is saying neither those 3 nor any other OFer was available a week earlier? I heard most of that interview. NH was asked the questions that are bothering most fans this year and his answers were not convincing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Yes, I believe the asking price was too high for players that were not better than what the team already has in place. That is what Huntington said. But since "we" don't like that answer, the assumption is that he is lying.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

What I'm starting to believe is that he thought the season was sunk the moment the Marte suspension was announced, and that using prospects to "fix" it was a waste of resources. And of course he won't say that in public as it would be a jerky thing to say about the current members of the team. I think he would have been much happier had the Cubs just run away with it early as everyone had expected.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2B20282421203B7E780F362E272020612C204F0 wrote: Yes, I believe the asking price was too high for players that were not better than what the team already has in place.  That is what Huntington said.  But since "we" don't like that answer, the assumption is that he is lying. 
You can't be serious. The Pirates were down to 2 actual OFers when Marte was suspended and again when Polanco got hurt. But you believe no OFer better than Jaso or Frazier was available? Or that the asking price for a reserve OFer was too high?
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

1F2D21213507242D20252A2D4C0 wrote: What I'm starting to believe is that he thought the season was sunk the moment the Marte suspension was announced, and that using prospects to "fix" it was a waste of resources.  And of course he won't say that in public as it would be a jerky thing to say about the current members of the team.  I think he would have been much happier had the Cubs just run away with it early as everyone had expected. 

Bingo. People are right to assume someone in Huntington's position is not always telling the truth. For this reason (and others), they can't.