9/25 vs Chicago

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by OrlandoMerced »

7275636B6572353940676D61696C2E636F6D000 wrote: Reyes ... wow.

And Dear Baseball Gods PLEASE let this be the Chris Archer we get next season.

Reyes - really exciting!  What can be expected over a season?  Can he replace Polanco?

I think he's ultimately a super-utility type guy. But he's definitely earned a roster spot for 2019 and should be given an opportunity for an everyday role. I think Frazier has won the 2B job for 2019, so that opens up a super utility spot on the bench that I think Reyes has earned.
CarolinaBucco

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm already excited about next year, but here's what I DON'T want to see happen during the offseason. I DON'T want to see the Pirates pull typical Pirates moves, which would be:

* Address Polanco's situation in RF by "SETTLING" for 3 months of Luplow. He's not the answer.

* Give the SS job to Newman. He's not ready. I recommend bringing in an elite-glove / weak-bat veteran to handle the job until when or if Newman is ready. I like Hechavarria.

* Let Nova go on the belief that the starting rotation is plenty deep. It is not, especially without Nova. Keep Nova and sign a legit LH starter. Do not rely on Kingham, Brault, etc.
Bobster21

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by Bobster21 »

69544A474842496B4354454342260 wrote: Reyes ... wow.

And Dear Baseball Gods PLEASE let this be the Chris Archer we get next season.

Reyes - really exciting!  What can be expected over a season?  Can he replace Polanco?

I think he's ultimately a super-utility type guy. But he's definitely earned a roster spot for 2019 and should be given an opportunity for an everyday role. I think Frazier has won the 2B job for 2019, so that opens up a super utility spot on the bench that I think Reyes has earned.
I think Reyes will go north out of ST next year in the Sean Rodriguez role. He began as an infielder. I have read that the Pirates always liked his bat but felt he wasn't good enough defensively to play the infield every day. It was only last year that he started getting a lot of work in the OF as they are grooming him for that super utility role. But that's how Harrison started. As well as Frazier who now looks like the 2019 2Bman. Reyes looks like he has the bat to eventually force them to play him regularly.
SyrBucco

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by SyrBucco »

5C7E6D707376717E5D6A7C7C701F0 wrote: I'm already excited about next year, but here's what I DON'T want to see happen during the offseason. I DON'T want to see the Pirates pull typical Pirates moves, which would be:

* Address Polanco's situation in RF by "SETTLING" for 3 months of Luplow. He's not the answer.

* Give the SS job to Newman. He's not ready. I recommend bringing in an elite-glove / weak-bat veteran to handle the job until when or if Newman is ready. I like Hechavarria.

* Let Nova go on the belief that the starting rotation is plenty deep. It is not, especially without Nova. Keep Nova and sign a legit LH starter. Do not rely on Kingham, Brault, etc.

I agree! I'll continue to beat the drum for Jose Iglesias, FA, at SS, and Lonnie Chisenhall, FA, in RF. We also need to pick up a lefty reliever. I want a lefty starter, too, but not before we've addressed these other needs.
notes34

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by notes34 »

331912221503030F600 wrote: I'm already excited about next year, but here's what I DON'T want to see happen during the offseason. I DON'T want to see the Pirates pull typical Pirates moves, which would be:

I agree! I'll continue to beat the drum for Jose Iglesias, FA, at SS, and Lonnie Chisenhall, FA, in RF. We also need to pick up a lefty reliever. I want a lefty starter, too, but not before we've addressed these other needs.

We absolutely need a 3B. Moran is not the answer. I would get a decent OF that can be the 4th OF when Polanco returns. A lefty for the pen would be nice. I keep Nova for sure. An above average glove for SS is another move that should be made.
Ecbucs

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by Ecbucs »

49485342541413270 wrote: I'm already excited about next year, but here's what I DON'T want to see happen during the offseason. I DON'T want to see the Pirates pull typical Pirates moves, which would be:

We absolutely need a 3B. Moran is not the answer. I would get a decent OF that can be the 4th OF when Polanco returns. A lefty for the pen would be nice. I keep Nova for sure. An above average glove for SS is another move that should be made.

Pablo Reyes started 25 games at third for Indy this season.
IABucFan

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by IABucFan »

I'm really worried about some injuries mounting up. I'd like to dangle Vazquez as trade bait for a legit 3Bman or RFer, assuming that the bullpen would still be plenty deep on the back end with Crick, Santana, Rodriguez, and Kela. However, Santana's injury complicates that situation. Hopefully, it's nothing serious. But anytime you hear "forearm and elbow discomfort," your mind immediately thinks TJ. With Kuhl already down for the year, I'm afraid the bullpen could be in jeopardy of moving from a strength to a potential liability.

Also, with Polanco, when they say 7-9 months, what does that mean? 7-9 months before he can begin any baseball activities, or 7-9 months until he's projected back in Pittsburgh, meaning he's like 5-7 months away from baseball activities, and 6-8 months from beginning an Indy rehab assignment? Because if it's 7-9 months until he's back in Pittsburgh at full strength, I think they'll be ok and can play it by ear. seven months from mid-September would put him at mid-April, only a couple of weeks removed from the start of the season. I'm ok with Luplow for two weeks and we can focus resources on other needs. But if it's 7-9 months before he can begin any baseball activities, then his 2019 season is essentially down the drain and they need to look outside the organization for help.

I'd think by the time the winter meetings roll around, they'd have a good idea with how his rehab is progressing, and whether or not he's ahead of or behind schedule.

I completely agree that they need to keep Nova now. Our rotation could be scary good next year. That would be sweet. But you can't just expect to get to October off a good rotation. The Mets have been doing that for five years. What's it gotten them? Even their 2015 team that went to the World Series (who the Pirates went 7-0 against in the regular season FWIW) had seven guys with ten or more homers on that team. They weren't devoid of offense.

But, a good rotation can cover a lot of holes in a lineup. If what we've seen from Taillon and Williams, and if good Archer shows up most of the time, and if Nova and Musgrove provide stability and consistency, giving the team a chance to win most nights, the Pirates could be quite good next year. But, we need some bats!
SCBucco

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by SCBucco »

2B2320170124030C620 wrote: I'm really worried about some injuries mounting up. I'd like to dangle Vazquez as trade bait for a legit 3Bman or RFer, assuming that the bullpen would still be plenty deep on the back end with Crick, Santana, Rodriguez, and Kela. However, Santana's injury complicates that situation. Hopefully, it's nothing serious. But anytime you hear "forearm and elbow discomfort," your mind immediately thinks TJ. With Kuhl already down for the year, I'm afraid the bullpen could be in jeopardy of moving from a strength to a potential liability.

Also, with Polanco, when they say 7-9 months, what does that mean? 7-9 months before he can begin any baseball activities, or 7-9 months until he's projected back in Pittsburgh, meaning he's like 5-7 months away from baseball activities, and 6-8 months from beginning an Indy rehab assignment? Because if it's 7-9 months until he's back in Pittsburgh at full strength, I think they'll be ok and can play it by ear. seven months from mid-September would put him at mid-April, only a couple of weeks removed from the start of the season. I'm ok with Luplow for two weeks and we can focus resources on other needs. But if it's 7-9 months before he can begin any baseball activities, then his 2019 season is essentially down the drain and they need to look outside the organization for help.

I'd think by the time the winter meetings roll around, they'd have a good idea with how his rehab is progressing, and whether or not he's ahead of or behind schedule.

I completely agree that they need to keep Nova now. Our rotation could be scary good next year. That would be sweet. But you can't just expect to get to October off a good rotation. The Mets have been doing that for five years. What's it gotten them? Even their 2015 team that went to the World Series (who the Pirates went 7-0 against in the regular season FWIW) had seven guys with ten or more homers on that team. They weren't devoid of offense.

But, a good rotation can cover a lot of holes in a lineup. If what we've seen from Taillon and Williams, and if good Archer shows up most of the time, and if Nova and Musgrove provide stability and consistency, giving the team a chance to win most nights, the Pirates could be quite good next year. But, we need some bats!

I don't think Vasquez/Rivero brings back the impact bat at 3B or OF that you are thinking. I think he brings back some nice prospects.
iabucco

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by iabucco »

66626A5D4B5B6E4946280 wrote: We're not going to win the it all this year, but knocking the Cubs into the wild card would be a pretty decent consolation prize.

I used to really dislike the Brewers but with Fielder and Gomez gone and Braun my dislike has been reduced. I respect what management has done with the team. It would be AWESOME here in the Des Moines area to see the Brewers take the central by having the Pirates beat the Cubs. It would also make my work area much more fun. I work with a HUGE cubs fan.
IABucFan

9/25 vs Chicago

Post by IABucFan »

7868695E4848442B0 wrote: I'm really worried about some injuries mounting up. I'd like to dangle Vazquez as trade bait for a legit 3Bman or RFer, assuming that the bullpen would still be plenty deep on the back end with Crick, Santana, Rodriguez, and Kela. However, Santana's injury complicates that situation. Hopefully, it's nothing serious. But anytime you hear "forearm and elbow discomfort," your mind immediately thinks TJ. With Kuhl already down for the year, I'm afraid the bullpen could be in jeopardy of moving from a strength to a potential liability.

I don't think Vasquez/Rivero brings back the impact bat at 3B or OF that you are thinking.  I think he brings back some bnice prospects.

With Santana done for the year, I don’t think he’s available now, if he ever was to begin with.