Eduardo Escobar

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Eduardo Escobar

Post by Quail »

4959586F7979751A0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I like the idea of adding to the offense, but Escobar may not be the best target.  Also, I an not that sold on Moustakas.   

After taking a gander at pending FAs at 3B, the options suck absent the ones that are above out pay grade (Donaldson, Beltre, Escobar).  Unless Mark Reynolds is the answer, you take Moustakas and run.  I'm not convinced Milwaukee will let him walk based on the options here.  I'm sold on Moustakas because he is better than Moran.  Kang won't do anything.

Something to consider concerning the Pirates ability to spend in free agency this off season is their possible payroll status. Right now the Pirates total payroll stands at approximately $99.5M. They have $16.7M in retained salary that will be coming off the books at the end of the season for players like SRod, McCutchen, Freese, Hechavarria, Hudson, etc. If they let Harrison and Mercer walk that will take another $17M off of the books. If they trade Nova for a package of prospects payroll is reduced by another $9.1M. So theoretically the Pirates could be looking at a base payroll going into free agency of about $57M. Adding $35M in free agents would still only raise payroll to $92M which would place the Pirates comfortably in the bottom 20% of teams for MLB payroll. Other than maybe Bryce Harper there wouldn't be any free agent above the Pirates affordable pay grade.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
mouse

Eduardo Escobar

Post by mouse »

With attendance declining, don't you think there will be a corresponding decline in payroll? I would expect it to top out at $75MM to maybe $80MM at most. That would still leave some space to add some players to get to that level, but they would be NH type players, not the names people would like to get.
Ecbucs

Eduardo Escobar

Post by Ecbucs »

66647E786E0B0 wrote: With attendance declining, don't you think there will be a corresponding decline in payroll? I would expect it to top out at $75MM to maybe $80MM at most. That would still leave some space to add some players to get to that level, but they would be NH type players, not the names people would like to get.

One of the best writers on Bucs Dugout is also concerned that payroll is going to be slashed next year. Maybe into the 70 -75 million range.
SCBucco

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SCBucco »

5571656D68040 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I like the idea of adding to the offense, but Escobar may not be the best target.  Also, I an not that sold on Moustakas.   

After taking a gander at pending FAs at 3B, the options suck absent the ones that are above out pay grade (Donaldson, Beltre, Escobar).  Unless Mark Reynolds is the answer, you take Moustakas and run.  I'm not convinced Milwaukee will let him walk based on the options here.  I'm sold on Moustakas because he is better than Moran.  Kang won't do anything.

Something to consider concerning the Pirates ability to spend in free agency this off season is their possible payroll status. Right now the Pirates total payroll stands at approximately $99.5M. They have $16.7M in retained salary that will be coming off the books at the end of the season for players like SRod, McCutchen, Freese, Hechavarria, Hudson, etc. If they let Harrison and Mercer walk that will take another $17M off of the books. If they trade Nova for a package of prospects payroll is reduced by another $9.1M. So theoretically the Pirates could be looking at a base payroll going into free agency of about $57M. Adding $35M in free agents would still only raise payroll to $92M which would place the Pirates comfortably in the bottom 20% of teams for MLB payroll. Other than maybe Bryce Harper there wouldn't be any free agent above the Pirates affordable pay grade.

Nice job, but Machado would be above our pay grade too. I'm curious if both Harrison and Mercer are gone, if they go full kids (Frazier and Kramer/Newman). Frazier's bat could be productive over the long haul, so there is an instant power source of sorts.

Not convinced they deal Nova as enigmatic as he is.
Quail

Eduardo Escobar

Post by Quail »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

Nice job, but Machado would be above our pay grade too.  I'm curious if both Harrison and Mercer are gone, if they go full kids (Frazier and Kramer/Newman).  Frazier's bat could be productive over the long haul, so there is an instant power source of sorts.

You're right about Machado. Quite frankly I have no idea what the Pirates will do about Mercer, Harrison or Nova. I could see all three returning or none of the three. I believe their biggest need is an impact bat, and my hope is that they will seriously kick the tires on Josh Donaldson, but payroll concerns and personnel priorities (as you mentioned- trusting Frazier, Newman and Kramer to be ready) by the front office may render that hope simply a pipe dream.
SCBucco

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SCBucco »

4C687C74711D0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

Nice job, but Machado would be above our pay grade too.  I'm curious if both Harrison and Mercer are gone, if they go full kids (Frazier and Kramer/Newman).  Frazier's bat could be productive over the long haul, so there is an instant power source of sorts.

You're right about Machado. Quite frankly I have no idea what the Pirates will do about Mercer, Harrison or Nova. I could see all three returning or none of the three. I believe their biggest need is an impact bat, and my hope is that they will seriously kick the tires on Josh Donaldson, but payroll concerns and personnel priorities (as you mentioned- trusting Frazier, Newman and Kramer to be ready) by the front office may render that hope simply a pipe dream.

I think we have a decent sample size from Frazier now.  Granted, not a full year, but we know he can hit.  I have confidence that he can provide more offense than Harrison could.  SS is a different story.  This is why I thought Hechavarria had a chance to stick.  He gives you Mercer type numbers with a better glove.  Absent Machado, the SS FA pool sucks.  They are all the same to me ... Galvis, A. Escobar, Iglesias, Jose Reyes. As far as Donaldson, no one is giving him a hefty contract after this year. He might need a prove it type of year.
Quail

Eduardo Escobar

Post by Quail »

5343427563636F000 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I think we have a decent sample size from Frazier now.  Granted, not a full year, but we know he can hit.  I have confidence that he can provide more offense than Harrison could.  SS is a different story.  This is why I thought Hechavarria had a chance to stick.  He gives you Mercer type numbers with a better glove.  Absent Machado, the SS FA pool sucks.  They are all the same to me ... Galvis, A. Escobar, Iglesias, Jose Reyes.  As far as Donaldson, no one is giving him a hefty contract after this year.  He might need a prove it type of year.

I think the idea of bringing Hechavarria back makes good sense. He'd probably be a reasonably priced insurance plan for Newman at short with a plus glove and Mercer-like offense. Would still leave enough payroll money to try for Donaldson.