Looking Ahead To The 40 Man Winter Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Due to the Cruz situation he will probably be removed from the 40 man roster as well.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I was looking at the current roster again, and there are at least 6 or 7 players to add from the IL such as Taillion, Evans, Alford, and Holmes. I believe the players on the IL must be added to the roster in 5 to 7 days after the World Series, so in the next couple weeks there is going to be some players designated for assignment, or possibly trades made to free up roster space to add IL players.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

During the next couple of days there should be news as to which players from the IL have been returned to the roster and which players have been designated for assignment.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F6362393039313C3B243E090 wrote: During the next couple of days there should be news as to which players from the IL have been returned to the roster and which players have been designated for assignment.

Holland and Kela are now free agents.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

3A36376C656C64696E716B5C0 wrote: I was looking at the current roster again, and there are at least 6 or 7 players to add from the IL such as Taillion, Evans, Alford, and Holmes. I believe the players on the IL must be added to the roster in 5 to 7 days after the World Series, so in the next couple weeks there is going to be some players designated for assignment, or possibly trades made to free up roster space to add IL players.

They have 11 players to make a decision on, which should be by this Sunday (5 days from the end of the WS).

Archer, Kela, Burdi, Taillon, Alford, Evans, Feliz, Holmes, Kramer, Maile, and Rios.

Kela is a no brainer, he's a FA. They have the same five days to make a decision on Archer's option.

Taillon and Evans are no doubters to keep. So that leaves Alford, Feliz, Holmes, Kramer, Maile, Burdi and Rios to make decisions on.

Feliz, Maile, and Burdi are arbitration eligible. No doubt this will come in to play on their decisions, because the Pirates may not feel they are worth paying whatever minimum they are guaranteed to get in a salary increase. I think that will mean Feliz and Maile are sure to be released.

Burdi and Holmes by now should have some sort of updated progress reports from their PRP injections. I'm certain that will weigh in on the Pirates decision. I think they would be the easiest to carry even if they may not pitch next season, it's not like they have any world beaters to jettison and then replace on the staff.

That leaves Alford, Kramer, and Rios. Who do you drop to keep them? Gonzalez and Murphy are arbitration eligible, no way can I see the Pirates wanting to give them a raise. I think that keeps Alford and Kramer on the roster. I think Rios will be kept over a guy like Turley.

My predictions are thus: Taillon, Evans, Burdi, Holmes, Alford, Kramer, Rios are added. Kela is a FA, Feliz and Maile will not be added, and I don't think they pick up Archer's extension.

To make room I believe Neverauskas, Murphy, Gonzalez,  Turley, Osuna, Bashlor, and Williams will be removed. Murphy, Gonzalez, Osuna, and Williams are all arb eligible, and Williams will be getting a big pay day regardless of the numbers exchanged. 

I modified to add, that Holland is a FA, and that leaves a spot open. I believe it will either remain open for Rule 5, or be taken if they surprisingly exercise their option on Archer.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

64424550595542545C370 wrote: I was looking at the current roster again, and there are at least 6 or 7 players to add from the IL such as Taillion, Evans, Alford, and Holmes. I believe the players on the IL must be added to the roster in 5 to 7 days after the World Series, so in the next couple weeks there is going to be some players designated for assignment, or possibly trades made to free up roster space to add IL players.

They have 11 players to make a decision on, which should be by this Sunday (5 days from the end of the WS).

Archer, Kela, Burdi, Taillon, Alford, Evans, Feliz, Holmes, Kramer, Maile, and Rios.

Kela is a no brainer, he's a FA. They have the same five days to make a decision on Archer's option.

Taillon and Evans are no doubters to keep. So that leaves Alford, Feliz, Holmes, Kramer, Maile, Burdi and Rios to make decisions on.

Feliz, Maile, and Burdi are arbitration eligible. No doubt this will come in to play on their decisions, because the Pirates may not feel they are worth paying whatever minimum they are guaranteed to get in a salary increase. I think that will mean Feliz and Maile are sure to be released.

Burdi and Holmes by now should have some sort of updated progress reports from their PRP injections. I'm certain that will weigh in on the Pirates decision. I think they would be the easiest to carry even if they may not pitch next season, it's not like they have any world beaters to jettison and then replace on the staff.

That leaves Alford, Kramer, and Rios. Who do you drop to keep them? Gonzalez and Murphy are arbitration eligible, no way can I see the Pirates wanting to give them a raise. I think that keeps Alford and Kramer on the roster. I think Rios will be kept over a guy like Turley.

My predictions are thus: Taillon, Evans, Burdi, Holmes, Alford, Kramer, Rios are added. Kela is a FA, Feliz and Maile will not be added, and I don't think they pick up Archer's extension.

To make room I believe Neverauskas, Murphy, Gonzalez,  Turley, Osuna, Bashlor, and Williams will be removed. Murphy, Gonzalez, Osuna, and Williams are all arb eligible, and Williams will be getting a big pay day regardless of the numbers exchanged. 

I modified to add, that Holland is a FA, and that leaves a spot open. I believe it will either remain open for Rule 5, or be taken if they surprisingly exercise their option on Archer.
You made some rather good predictions, but I think they will retain Maile unless they have a trade in the works which will add another catcher to the roster besides Stallings.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Some sites I looked at including MLB always seem to mention the Pirates biggest need is CF, I think it's catcher and any kind of impact bat(s).

I can see your point about Maile.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.
I am one fan who thinks it will be a very interesting offseason. There should be several moves involving players going and coming.
I am not expecting anything worth while.

I'd like to know what you mean by "interesting."  That's not meant to be harsh or sarcastic at all.  More out of curiousity.

I expect no significant change from what we've seen in off-seasons years past.  I don't expect anything of great significance in terms of external talent acquisition.  At most, we could see a Francisco Liriano-esque thing.  He turned out to be very good when we first landed him, and I would take a guy like that.  But, a top-shelf guy?  No.  That hasn't been the Pirates way in some time.

Anything less than mid-tier, I don't find all that interesting. 

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the chances of it happening are slim and none but picking up Hand and trading him for a prospect or two early in the season would make sense for the Bucs. Spend 3 million or so and get a couple players (who you did not have to pay a signing bonus) should make economic sense.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Use your Hand to pick up other guys.....hmmm