About half the Marlins test positive

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/marl ... yer-cases/

This could all come crashing down pretty quickly.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Have to wonder how comfortable teams will be playing against Miami.

Curious thing is, the Marlins were playing the Braves before heading to Philadelphia if I remember correctly...it will be interesting to see if any Atlanta players come up positive. Georgia is another hot spot.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more players opting out afterthis.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

This has been my concern with not only baseball but with the hockey playoffs, too. If there's one team-wide infection that forces them into a quarantine situation, what happens to the schedule? It'll be a miracle if this season is completed.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

It’s interesting to me that the Marlins have adequate access to tests, like all in MLB. This is not at ALL like the general public. Personally, while I think the pandemic is real, I also think we are living through the most blown out of proportion response in human history. That said, to return to normal (and no, this isn’t the new normal), we have to have “adequate testing.” But the Marlins have adequate testing, and an outbreak STILL happened. In no universe will we EVER have enough testing to test 330 million Americans on even a semi-regular basis. Not now, not any time in the future.

I strongly believe that eventually society will have to come to grips with the fact that this virus is here to stay. And we can wear masks, and distance, and not shake hands, and all that from now until the end of time, but this virus will always be with us.

In other words, we will eventually have to learn to live with this, because there's no way I’m living the rest of my life like I’ve lived the last five months. The good news is the virus seems to be weakening. Scientists are developing more treatments. Hopefully, there will be a vaccine, but that’s no guarantee, and there’s no guarantee it will be 100% effective.

Bottom line...eventually, I think this is a risk we’re going to have to learn to accept as a part of life just like every other disease.

For the time being, I’m ok with MLB's response as it pertains to the Marlins. I’m just using this to point out the difficulties that exist in getting back to normal.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

444C4F786E4B6C630D0 wrote: It’s interesting to me that the Marlins have adequate access to tests, like all in MLB. This is not at ALL like the general public. Personally, while I think the pandemic is real, I also think we are living through the most blown out of proportion response in human history. That said, to return to normal (and no, this isn’t the new normal), we have to have “adequate testing.” But the Marlins have adequate testing, and an outbreak STILL happened. In no universe will we EVER have enough testing to test 330 million Americans on even a semi-regular basis. Not now, not any time in the future.

I strongly believe that eventually society will have to come to grips with the fact that this virus is here to stay. And we can wear masks, and distance, and not shake hands, and all that from now until the end of time, but this virus will always be with us.

In other words, we will eventually have to learn to live with this, because there's no way I’m living the rest of my life like I’ve lived the last five months. The good news is the virus seems to be weakening. Scientists are developing more treatments. Hopefully, there will be a vaccine, but that’s no guarantee, and there’s no guarantee it will be 100% effective.

Bottom line...eventually, I think this is a risk we’re going to have to learn to accept as a part of life just like every other disease.

For the time being, I’m ok with MLB's response as it pertains to the Marlins. I’m just using this to point out the difficulties that exist in getting back to normal.

I agree mostly, it is definitely way blown out of proportion. It is just ridiculous, healthy people should not be alarmed at all.

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

The hot rumor is that Marlins players were out partying.

Kids think they are bullet-proof.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Jose Gonzalez did, too.

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

332B292E2E39282F323325400 wrote: It’s interesting to me that the Marlins have adequate access to tests, like all in MLB. This is not at ALL like the general public. Personally, while I think the pandemic is real, I also think we are living through the most blown out of proportion response in human history. That said, to return to normal (and no, this isn’t the new normal), we have to have “adequate testing.” But the Marlins have adequate testing, and an outbreak STILL happened. In no universe will we EVER have enough testing to test 330 million Americans on even a semi-regular basis. Not now, not any time in the future.

I agree mostly, it is definitely way blown out of proportion.  It is just ridiculous, healthy people should not be alarmed at all.

Agreed. Now the new thing is mandatory vaccinations. First it was “15 days to slow the spread,” then it was mandatory masking, after they told us masks don’t work. Then it was more and more businesses going cashless, because cash is “dirty,” and “there’s a shortage on coins,” and “we have to keep people safe.” Now I’m seeing more and more about a mandatory vaccine...I’m not even opposed to getting vaccinated, in principle. But I’m very opposed to mandatory vaccines, or making a return to normal life (e.g. travel) contingent on presenting a “vaccination card,” or something. I’d rather die of COVID than watch every freedom in our land get eroded in the name of “personal safety.”
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'd support mandatory vaccinations before I'd support being infected and dying- or, seeing others die- because someone else chose not to be a team player. Could be part of the reason we're "in last place" with this mess.

I'm being safe to protect others. Why can't they extend the same courtesy?
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

446F7D476F72636965466568650A0 wrote: The hot rumor is that Marlins players were out partying.

Kids think they are bullet-proof.
I have said over and over. It's the 18-30 yr.olds who are killing us. They have no self discipline and just don't give a darn.