Cervelli - 57...errr...6

Frazier - 6

Moroff - 5

Meadows - 3

Rodriguez?
dmetz

Home Run Leader

Post by dmetz »

40415A4B5D1D1A2E0 wrote: Cool so we take the one outlier year and use that. Exactly what I said people are hoping. I'm taking bets.

What's the bet?  Are you saying Polanco won't hit over 16 HRs?
No he won't lead the team in HR's.

He's probably capable, but has to prove he can stay healthy, which I highly doubt he can. 

The "he's in the best shape of his life" narrative has been stuck on Polanco this year.   So he's the chosen one. The team PR and the blogosphere PR parrots have been pushing this narrative all offseason.      This is his year to put up, or bust

My expectation is that he will have a DL stint for a lower body injury by memorial day.  But If this guy can stay healthy, he will hit I think. 

If he puts together a really nice year, I would look to trade him ASAP and cash in.  (Because of the lower body injury history)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Home Run Leader

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E6F7465733334000 wrote: Cool so we take the one outlier year and use that. Exactly what I said people are hoping. I'm taking bets.

Yeah, I'd take the field and the odds too. 24 vs 1 is pretty good odds.
IABucFan

Home Run Leader

Post by IABucFan »

PEDs aside, I don't understand why Marte doesn't hit for more power. The ball just jumps off his bat. He seems to hit a lot of no-doubt homers, balls that you just know are gone as soon as they leave the bat. He always finished with less than McCutchen, but when Marte hit one, I always felt like I knew right away. Marte should be capable of being a consistent 20-20 player, and maybe throw in a few 30-30 seasons in great years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Home Run Leader

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5A5251667055727D130 wrote: PEDs aside, I don't understand why Marte doesn't hit for more power. The ball just jumps off his bat. He seems to hit a lot of no-doubt homers, balls that you just know are gone as soon as they leave the bat. He always finished with less than McCutchen, but when Marte hit one, I always felt like I knew right away. Marte should be capable of being a consistent 20-20 player, and maybe throw in a few 30-30 seasons in great years.

Agreed. Marte can hit for power and still have that speed. I feel Marte has all the tools to be a very special player. I though he would be better than he actually is right now. He's a player to me that his stats don't match his ability.
notes34

Home Run Leader

Post by notes34 »

6B626A7B750F0 wrote: Cool so we take the one outlier year and use that. Exactly what I said people are hoping. I'm taking bets.

He's probably capable, but has to prove he can stay healthy, which I highly doubt he can. 

The "he's in the best shape of his life" narrative has been stuck on Polanco this year.   So he's the chosen one. The team PR and the blogosphere PR parrots have been pushing this narrative all offseason.      This is his year to put up, or bust

My expectation is that he will have a DL stint for a lower body injury by memorial day.  But If this guy can stay healthy, he will hit I think. 

If he puts together a really nice year, I would look to trade him ASAP and cash in.  (Because of the lower body injury history)

I agree with most of what you wrote. If he puts it together even for a half season, I would move him too. He has to be razor sharp, as that swing is not going to be consistent.
skinnyhorse

Home Run Leader

Post by skinnyhorse »

1A1211263015323D530 wrote: PEDs aside, I don't understand why Marte doesn't hit for more power. The ball just jumps off his bat. He seems to hit a lot of no-doubt homers, balls that you just know are gone as soon as they leave the bat. He always finished with less than McCutchen, but when Marte hit one, I always felt like I knew right away. Marte should be capable of being a consistent 20-20 player, and maybe throw in a few 30-30 seasons in great years.
I felt the same way about Marte but I no longer believe he's going to get any better. I just don't think he has the smarts to every be what he should be. I'd trade him in a heart beat if we could get a real good return.
DemDog

Home Run Leader

Post by DemDog »

554D4F48485F4E49545543260 wrote: PEDs aside, I don't understand why Marte doesn't hit for more power. The ball just jumps off his bat. He seems to hit a lot of no-doubt homers, balls that you just know are gone as soon as they leave the bat. He always finished with less than McCutchen, but when Marte hit one, I always felt like I knew right away. Marte should be capable of being a consistent 20-20 player, and maybe throw in a few 30-30 seasons in great years.
I felt the same way about Marte but I no longer believe he's going to get any better.  I just don't think he has the smarts to every be what he should be.  I'd trade him in a heart beat if we could get a real good return.

You seem to be down on just about every Bucco yet if you trade them you always want a "real good" return. If these guys are the "bums" you say or imply they are how can you expect other teams to give you a "real good" return?
skinnyhorse

Home Run Leader

Post by skinnyhorse »

04252D042F27400 wrote: PEDs aside, I don't understand why Marte doesn't hit for more power. The ball just jumps off his bat. He seems to hit a lot of no-doubt homers, balls that you just know are gone as soon as they leave the bat. He always finished with less than McCutchen, but when Marte hit one, I always felt like I knew right away. Marte should be capable of being a consistent 20-20 player, and maybe throw in a few 30-30 seasons in great years.
I felt the same way about Marte but I no longer believe he's going to get any better.  I just don't think he has the smarts to every be what he should be.  I'd trade him in a heart beat if we could get a real good return.

You seem to be down on just about every Bucco yet if you trade them you always want a "real good" return.  If these guys are the "bums" you say or imply they are how can you expect other teams to give you a "real good" return?

He has every tool you can have in baseball but he just never produces when given the opportunity. I would not give him away, he will probably make a very good player for the right team, I don't expect to get a Trout but I would like a can't miss prospect or two. I felt the same way about Cole, he obviously had very good talent but was never going to be great with us. I really believe he wanted out of Pittsburg and he found a way out. I believe he will become a outstanding pitcher for Houston, and NH didn't get a very good return for him. He just doesn't seem to have any idea when evaluating talent. I would love to see Marte become what he should be with the Pirates but I've lost patience with him. There's lots of talent out there who are being blocked on many many teams but you have to do the hard work and be able to evaluate talent to find them. We have to get a great young outfielder who's being blocked by a team who has to many outfielders, if you do trade Marte, don't trade him for just anyone some GM wants to unload. It's call the art of the deal and NH doesn't seem to have any skills in this area.