68M Opening day salary

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

68M Opening day salary

Post by BenM »

677A5E5C52370 wrote: Geez --- That conclusion really makes me feel really giddy about the upcoming season. 

I feel myself trending toward being a more frequent management basher.    

It's not a management thing.  It's a ownership thing.  This all lies on Bob Nutting and the others in the investment group.  This article is just another piece that articulates that distinction.

I believe that part of the reason Hurdle and Huntington got extensions is because they are willing to take a beating in public for their owner and will enthusiastically spin things as better. Just look at this interview with Neal the PG just posted.

“We have the ninth-best record in baseball over the last six years,” Huntington said. “We are one a few teams that have made the postseason three times in the last seven years. However, we haven’t brought a World Series home. There’s a tremendous group of people whom I’m honored to work with and they’re committed to bringing a championship here. We have a strong group of young players who can develop and get better. We have an ownership group fully committed to bringing a title to Pittsburgh.”
PMike

68M Opening day salary

Post by PMike »

193E35165B0 wrote: Geez --- That conclusion really makes me feel really giddy about the upcoming season. 

It's not a management thing.  It's a ownership thing.  This all lies on Bob Nutting and the others in the investment group.  This article is just another piece that articulates that distinction.

I believe that part of the reason Hurdle and Huntington got extensions is because they are willing to take a beating in public for their owner and will enthusiastically spin things as better. Just look at this interview with Neal the PG just posted.

“We have the ninth-best record in baseball over the last six years,” Huntington said. “We are one a few teams that have made the postseason three times in the last seven years. However, we haven’t brought a World Series home. There’s a tremendous group of people whom I’m honored to work with and they’re committed to bringing a championship here. We have a strong group of young players who can develop and get better. We have an ownership group fully committed to bringing a title to Pittsburgh.”

I'm sure they are. They have been. There are only 30 of those jobs in baseball. They probably figure it is better to have one where you are hamstrung but given a unique challenge than not have one at all.
Ecbucs

68M Opening day salary

Post by Ecbucs »

1D002426284D0 wrote: Geez --- That conclusion really makes me feel really giddy about the upcoming season. 

I'm sure they are.  They have been.  There are only 30 of those jobs in baseball.  They probably figure it is better to have one where you are hamstrung but given a unique challenge than not have one at all.

yet Neal supposedly told the Giants he wasn't interested. I doubt if Clint would get a shot at managing any other team.

Perhaps he stays with Pirates because of family reasons or the security but I don't think it is because of the challenge (maybe before 2016 but from then on it appears they are not trying to win but to get lucky).
steve49

68M Opening day salary

Post by steve49 »

64454D644F47200 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

Besides, does Machado put is over the top and make us an instant top contender not just for the NL Central but the whole WS shebang?  Not in the least.  I pass on Machado and Harper and go after some other top line FA or 2 first.

Did you actually write "say the Bucs sign Machado ?" You have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than seeing Machado in a Pirate uniform.
mouse

68M Opening day salary

Post by mouse »

Ha! Don't ever underestimate Possum!
DemDog

68M Opening day salary

Post by DemDog »

6562736073222F160 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

Besides, does Machado put is over the top and make us an instant top contender not just for the NL Central but the whole WS shebang?  Not in the least.  I pass on Machado and Harper and go after some other top line FA or 2 first.

Did you actually write "say the Bucs sign Machado ?" You have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than seeing Machado in a Pirate uniform.

I have a comeback for that remark but it is NSFW! ;D
wtmjkj@verizon.net

68M Opening day salary

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

Well, I discovered my login still works.

The fact is, you can pretty much get their payroll by starting from a $30M profit every year and working backward. Every time profit figures get reported or estimated (or operating income when it's Forbes, which isn't quite the same as profit but shouldn't be too far off), it comes out at $30M minimum.

It's just bizarre to see that nice, smooth graph line with the Pirates when everybody else's zigzags based on where they are in the success cycle. The Pirates' motto under McClatchy/Littlefield should have been "The Drive for 75." Now it should be ".500 Forever."
Bobster21

68M Opening day salary

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6B7A697A2B261F0 wrote: One question about this payroll stuff.  Say the Bucs sign Machado for #30 mil a year.  With cheapskate Nutting pull the purse strings what does that mean to the good Bucs players that will become FAs or have salary increases due to arbitration in the future?  With all the money going to Machado I would bet that Nutting will not spend on anything else.

I believe Possum has made it very clear to Kate that he's not interested! No means no!
IABucFan

68M Opening day salary

Post by IABucFan »

Just my two cents, but I always think of this article when the subject of ownership comes up. I'm glad it's still archived at the Trib.

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates/376 ... ting-money

If what this article states is true. then we really have no hope as fans, because Nutting isn't interested in winning, just turning a profit, and he isn't interested in selling. We're stuck. The best we can hope for is that the annual dumpster diving turns up a gem that everybody else missed, ala Liriano, Burnett, and Martin. If a good deal (Dickerson) falls into our laps, then Neal will jump on it, but short of that, the Pirates are going to be perpetually content to be mediocre.
mouse

68M Opening day salary

Post by mouse »

I think that article pretty much sums it up. We all want that Illich guy who poured money into the Tigers, willing to lose his own money year after year as he chased a winning team, but that's not Nutting, and never will be.