Bucs @ Brewers - 6/7 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

73565555406B565E5C4B390 wrote: Kingham!!!

Kills our comeback by immediately giving up a 3 run bomb by Braun.

It is absolutely inexcusable that he is still on the roster and there has not been any quality pitching brought in by the FO
At first, the FO seemed truly invested in building a winning team. But after 2015 with 98 wins and record attendance, the FO clearly did an about face. There is no longer even a pretense of trying to build a legitimate candidate for post season play. The only priority is saving money. The needs of the team are irrelevant. The obvious strategy is now is to do the best they can with whatever they've got. The excuse for past deflating moves that it gave them "financial flexibility" has been revealed to be nothing more than BS. They have one of MLB's lowest payrolls which, presumably, does indeed give them the financial flexibility to makes moves as needed. Instead, they sit on their pile of cash and watch the team flounder without doing anything more than shuttling minimum salaried AAA pitchers up and down. This owner and his hamstrung FO are embarrassments to MLB and to competitive sports in general. 

And to make matters worse , they tried suck the fan base into thinking they were a contender last year. They were hoping that Kela and Archer would bring enough help to trick fans into returning to the ball park. The Archer trade was silly to begin with but if you do that and are serious about contending , you spend a little money and truly go for it. Instead they got what they deserved . The fan base never bought into it , the team stinks and Meadows , Glasnow and Baz will torture the Pirates for many years. Many on this board bought into this ploy but in all fairness , I would think most would have had a different opinion if they knew how management would follow up with shier spending .

The truly sad part is that this team is easy to root for and could potentially be a contender if only an investment in quality pitching had been made.

Bell is having a breakout MVP caliber season.

Reynolds could be the 2019 Rookie of the Year.

Cabrera has been an incredible addition.

Newman is becoming a solid 2 way player

Even Moran is putting up solid numbers

Diaz has proven to be the #1 catcher

The club has had well over 20 players on the IL and still is within striking distance

This in my opinion has been Hurdle’s best managed season so far

And yet with all of these positives ownership refused to get quality pitching help to compensate for all of the injuries

That is a travesty and by not trying to compete and put the best team that you can on the field you are not playing a sport but merely trying to glean the most money you can from an investment

I agree with every single point you made.  No, I will go further - it’s not just my opinion that you make good points, you’re points are all defensible as being correct.  And here’s one more: if the Pirates were truly competitive in even the most marginal way with respect to payroll then we would all have to say they did the best they could with the resources they have.  But there is absolutely no, zero, nana, doubt that there is plenty of money sitting in Nutting’s desk drawer to help this team remain competitive.

They have a very good, cheap, team that ownership and FO have simply abandoned. They have weighed the cost of winning with this very competitive team and said “we’re not interested”, regardless of available/horded resources.  THIS is why MLB should be investigating. 

MLB should follow the NFL blueprint IMO. Teams have a cap and have to spend a certain % of it. Teams that fail to compete year after year usually draft poorly. Thing about football is you can turn things around quickly in 1 to 3 years. What baseball and the NBA employ is crap for fans of small market teams with cheap owners. "Investigate" is a great idea but forget about that one. The large market teams are so powerful .. they just crush anything that might shift the balance of power. I'm still amazed that they were able to kill teams like the Pirates and Royals from doing Josh Bell type deals.

Steve: You make an excellent point about the Bell bonus. It was one of the few chances a small market team could lock up new talent by offering a large bonus to a player in the draft. I can’t believe MLB could get that change in place and have it agreed upon by the players union.

Another absolute ridiculous aspect of the draft is the Major Market teams just by participating in free agency can gain compensatory picks. IIRC a couple of years ago Boston signed a few high profile free agents but also lost players to free agency. They were awarded extra picks for the players they lost and had a few more picks in the draft than the Bucs.

MLB really needs to think about making the playing field more level when the next labor negotiation is underway.

One of the things I wish they would consider is continue to allow Large Markets to keep their local revenue however when it comes to national revenue they need to allocate a higher percentage to the smaller markets instead of splitting it evenly among all clubs.

Finally they absolutely need to have a minimum salary floor to keep owners like Nutting from failing to invest at the ML level.

It took this ol' fart brain of mine to process your last sentence. I believe you mean a minimum payroll floor. Is that correct?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

0C2D250C272F480 wrote: Kingham!!!

It is absolutely inexcusable that he is still on the roster and there has not been any quality pitching brought in by the FO
At first, the FO seemed truly invested in building a winning team. But after 2015 with 98 wins and record attendance, the FO clearly did an about face. There is no longer even a pretense of trying to build a legitimate candidate for post season play. The only priority is saving money. The needs of the team are irrelevant. The obvious strategy is now is to do the best they can with whatever they've got. The excuse for past deflating moves that it gave them "financial flexibility" has been revealed to be nothing more than BS. They have one of MLB's lowest payrolls which, presumably, does indeed give them the financial flexibility to makes moves as needed. Instead, they sit on their pile of cash and watch the team flounder without doing anything more than shuttling minimum salaried AAA pitchers up and down. This owner and his hamstrung FO are embarrassments to MLB and to competitive sports in general. 

And to make matters worse , they tried suck the fan base into thinking they were a contender last year. They were hoping that Kela and Archer would bring enough help to trick fans into returning to the ball park. The Archer trade was silly to begin with but if you do that and are serious about contending , you spend a little money and truly go for it. Instead they got what they deserved . The fan base never bought into it , the team stinks and Meadows , Glasnow and Baz will torture the Pirates for many years. Many on this board bought into this ploy but in all fairness , I would think most would have had a different opinion if they knew how management would follow up with shier spending .

The truly sad part is that this team is easy to root for and could potentially be a contender if only an investment in quality pitching had been made.

The club has had well over 20 players on the IL and still is within striking distance

And yet with all of these positives ownership refused to get quality pitching help to compensate for all of the injuries

That is a travesty and by not trying to compete and put the best team that you can on the field you are not playing a sport but merely trying to glean the most money you can from an investment

I agree with every single point you made.  No, I will go further - it’s not just my opinion that you make good points, you’re points are all defensible as being correct.  And here’s one more: if the Pirates were truly competitive in even the most marginal way with respect to payroll then we would all have to say they did the best they could with the resources they have.  But there is absolutely no, zero, nana, doubt that there is plenty of money sitting in Nutting’s desk drawer to help this team remain competitive.

They have a very good, cheap, team that ownership and FO have simply abandoned. They have weighed the cost of winning with this very competitive team and said “we’re not interested”, regardless of available/horded resources.  THIS is why MLB should be investigating. 

MLB should follow the NFL blueprint IMO. Teams have a cap and have to spend a certain % of it. Teams that fail to compete year after year usually draft poorly. Thing about football is you can turn things around quickly in 1 to 3 years. What baseball and the NBA employ is crap for fans of small market teams with cheap owners. "Investigate" is a great idea but forget about that one. The large market teams are so powerful .. they just crush anything that might shift the balance of power. I'm still amazed that they were able to kill teams like the Pirates and Royals from doing Josh Bell type deals.

Steve: You make an excellent point about the Bell bonus. It was one of the few chances a small market team could lock up new talent by offering a large bonus to a player in the draft. I can’t believe MLB could get that change in place and have it agreed upon by the players union.

Another absolute ridiculous aspect of the draft is the Major Market teams just by participating in free agency can gain compensatory picks. IIRC a couple of years ago Boston signed a few high profile free agents but also lost players to free agency. They were awarded extra picks for the players they lost and had a few more picks in the draft than the Bucs.

MLB really needs to think about making the playing field more level when the next labor negotiation is underway.

One of the things I wish they would consider is continue to allow Large Markets to keep their local revenue however when it comes to national revenue they need to allocate a higher percentage to the smaller markets instead of splitting it evenly among all clubs.

Finally they absolutely need to have a minimum salary floor to keep owners like Nutting from failing to invest at the ML level.

It took this ol' fart brain of mine to process your last sentence.  I believe you mean a minimum payroll floor.  Is that correct?

Possum: Your brain appears to be working better than my old fart brain. Correct; I meant payroll floor
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5E7B78786D467B737166140 wrote: Kingham!!!

It took this ol' fart brain of mine to process your last sentence.  I believe you mean a minimum payroll floor.  Is that correct?

Possum: Your brain appears to be working better than my old fart brain. Correct; I meant payroll floor

What a tandem! Two ol' fart brains looking after each other! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D