Bucs vs Brew Crew 9/23 . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

517D7572795E697F6F1C0 wrote: In looking at the JV team that pitched yesterday, it is becoming painfully apparent that the Bucs have little pitching depth at AAA that is ready to step up to the majors.

With Kuhl definitely out and Musgrove potentially out for the beginning of the season, the Bucs must either hold on to Nova or if he is traded, get someone who has a higher ceiling than Nova.  Further, the Bucs now likely need another starter to enter 2019; Kingham does not appear to be an option.

In several earlier posts I also spoke of the need for the Pirates to go get another reliever or two, particularly another lefty.  Brault looked like he may be coming around about 2+ weeks ago, but it now looks like he shouldn't be on a major league roster.  Feliz, Anderson, and Holmes are all a crap shoot.  I will give Bundi somewhat of a pass because of his return from surgery.  At this point, the Never Man looks like the best of the lot which is really scary.

In short, if the Bucs are to compete in 2019, the pitching staff, as well as the offense, needs more talent.   
Yikes! That's like saying we prefer to throw kerosene on the fire instead of gasoline. ;D
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0B363B3C2B2D366B6861590 wrote: Feliz should never again pitch for the Bucs. Hurdle stuck with NK for too long. Kingham hadn't pitched in two weeks and had command problem. Hurdle did not manage to try to win the game

You are stealing my thunder.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1D202D2A3D3B207D7E774F0 wrote: Feliz should never again pitch for the Bucs. Hurdle stuck with NK for too long. Kingham hadn't pitched in two weeks and had command problem. Hurdle did not manage to try to win the game
It's fair to say Hurdle didn't manage to win the game. But at this point of the season they are just taking a look at players. The lineup included Luplow, Reyes and Osuna. Threse games don't matter now, and Hurdle often didn't manage to win games even earlier in the season when it did matter. I've said many times I don't like Hurdle's managing but he was between a rock and a hard place when they found out a day or 2 earlier that Musgrove was out. That left slim pickin's of Kingham, Brault or Holmes. Pretty much a guaranteed loss. It may seem like he stuck with Kingham too long because he was so bad so fast but he only pitched 1.1 innings. The 3-run HR by Yelich with 1 out in the 2nd suddenly turned a 1-0 game into a 4-0 game. An argument could be made for pulling him at that point but Hurdle has no front end of the pen. Looking forward to about 5 innings of some combination of Brault, Holmes, Feliz, Anderson, Neverauskas or Burdi is pretty scary. It's a given that more runs will be surrendered by whoever of that crew pitches. So Hurdle tried to see if Kingham could get 2 more outs in the 2nd. An error didn't help especially when it was followed by another HR. And altho Kingham then gave up a hit and a walk before being lifted, those runners never scored. Anderson actually did pretty well in 3.2 IP other than a run scoring WP. But Brault and Feliz couldn't get thru the 6th. The BP gave up 7 runs in 7.2 IP.