Pirates vs. Cards - 7/23 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

That is on NH and his scouts. They should have known he was trending downwards based on analytics that they so praise themselves on.

Honestly, I thought we were getting a #2 starter out of Archer. Changing leagues, pitching at PNC park (a pitchers park) and working under the tutelage of Uncle Ray it was a slam dunk in my mind.

Clearly I was wrong and so was NH. You can't give up the three players we gave up for a #4 starter. But they did and there is nothing that they can do outside of pitching him every 5th day.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3C32373E28213E3E5B0 wrote: That is on NH and his scouts.  They should have known he was trending downwards based on analytics that they so praise themselves on.

Honestly, I thought we were getting a #2 starter out of Archer.  Changing leagues, pitching at PNC park (a pitchers park) and working under the tutelage of Uncle Ray it was a slam dunk in my mind.

Clearly I was wrong and so was NH.  You can't give up the three players we gave up for a #4 starter.   But they did and there is nothing that they can do outside of pitching him every 5th day.
Yes, at the time of the trade I could look at Archer's stats and see he had noticeably declined in 2016, 2017 and had a career worst 4.31 ERA at the time of the deal. But I gave NH and his staff credit and assumed there must be more to Archer than meets the eye and that the Pirates made that trade because Archer was better than his recent 2.5 year's stats suggested. But he wasn't better at all and has declined even more. So this is on NH for trading for a declining pitcher while acting like he was acquiring a premier pitcher. And now they're stuck with essentially a #4 starter certainly doesn't dominate. In 14 of his 18 starts he has given up at least half as many runs as innings pitched. And in 10 of those games he gave up more than half as many runs as innings. His weak performances have been fairly consistent. His ERA per month is 4.33 for March/April, 7.40 for May, 5.19 for June and 5.09 for July. Shame on NH for trading quality prospects for a declining pitcher.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

745954454253440407360 wrote: That is on NH and his scouts.  They should have known he was trending downwards based on analytics that they so praise themselves on.

Honestly, I thought we were getting a #2 starter out of Archer.  Changing leagues, pitching at PNC park (a pitchers park) and working under the tutelage of Uncle Ray it was a slam dunk in my mind.

Clearly I was wrong and so was NH.  You can't give up the three players we gave up for a #4 starter.   But they did and there is nothing that they can do outside of pitching him every 5th day.
Yes, at the time of the trade I could look at Archer's stats and see he had noticeably declined in 2016, 2017 and had a career worst 4.31 ERA at the time of the deal. But I gave NH and his staff credit and assumed there must be more to Archer than meets the eye and that the Pirates made that trade because Archer was better than his recent 2.5 year's stats suggested. But he wasn't better at all and has declined even more. So this is on NH for trading for a declining pitcher while acting like he was acquiring a premier pitcher. And now they're stuck with essentially a #4 starter certainly doesn't dominate. In 14 of his 18 starts he has given up at least half as many runs as innings pitched. And in 10 of those games he gave up more than half as many runs as innings. His weak performances have been fairly consistent. His ERA per month is 4.33 for March/April, 7.40 for May, 5.19 for June and 5.09 for July. Shame on NH for trading quality prospects for a declining pitcher.

throw in the Kela deal and both of his deals that were supposed to help the team in 2019 and beyond are failures.