Tony Watson just hired Scott Boras

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

With our luck lately it will be Hansel Robles.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0F2A29293C172A222037450 wrote: Consider Watson gone by 7/31 or sooner. Cutch and Watson for Robles?

They aren't giving up Robles for that, a shaky closer and a .221 hitter.

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

If we could get a guy like Taylor Hearn for Watson we should consider it a win.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: Boras means nothing.  I don't underdstand why teams, people are afraid of him.  The player still makes the final decision.  The market will be known or set. 

The draft slotting lost all of Boras's power.  That's where he was good.  The Pirates have dealt with him before and have never not drafted or offered a player a contract because of Boras.
Really? And how do you know they've never declined to draft a player represented by Boras? And representing players in the draft is only part of what Boras does. Teams have to deal with him in free agency and contract extensions. And for a team not concerned about Boras, isn't it a coincidence that in recent years the only clients of his on the team have been Alvarez, Cole and now Watson? I've lost track of all the Boras clients the Pirates have either signed as FAs or extended. But I think the total is somewhere between 0 and 0.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

This is basically a no news story...he's gearing up to get paid...I just hope he keeps the ERA down so we can unload him for another Rivero.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

013736212A2B3123002D3131420 wrote: This is basically a no news story...he's gearing up to get paid...I just hope he keeps the ERA down so we can unload him for another Rivero.
Oh sure. He'll be gone regardless of the agent. I just found Dog's comment rather unrealistic.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Watson keeps pitching like he has tonight and I doubt Boras or whoever his agent is won't be able to get him a sizable deal.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Boras had better figure out a way for Watson to jack that 92 mph fastball up to 93 mph. The guy was good when he threw 95 plus but his 92 ain't getting it done.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Boras means nothing.  I don't underdstand why teams, people are afraid of him.  The player still makes the final decision.  The market will be known or set. 

The draft slotting lost all of Boras's power.  That's where he was good.  The Pirates have dealt with him before and have never not drafted or offered a player a contract because of Boras.
Really? And how do you know they've never declined to draft a player represented by Boras? And representing players in the draft is only part of what Boras does. Teams have to deal with him in free agency and contract extensions. And for a team not concerned about Boras, isn't it a coincidence that in recent years the only clients of his on the team have been Alvarez, Cole and now Watson? I've lost track of all the Boras clients the Pirates have either signed as FAs or extended. But I think the total is somewhere between 0 and 0.

Remember the MO of who you are responding to. Maybe we should update that Watson ERA now after tonight's gem.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0B3D3C2B20213B290A273B3B480 wrote: This is basically a no news story...he's gearing up to get paid...I just hope he keeps the ERA down so we can unload him for another Rivero.

You aren't getting another Riveiro for him. Watson isn't Melancon. You might be Brian Goodwin, who is nothing special.