Huntington on the fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

71564743465B64504746465B220 wrote: Did anybody listen to his interview today?? It was very discouraging to hear if anybody did in terms is of moves for next season. Huntington said the Bucs are pretty much going to operate on a "tight" budget once again next year and watch what they spend. He hinted toward an all young pitching rotation next season as well if they can't sign a veteran starter. I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable with the kind of year they just had. For Huntington to come on and say they have very little money to spend when they just got rid of both Melancon and Liriano's contracts which were pretty substantial is simply ridiculous. I've so had it with this organization not taking the necessary steps in order to get to the next level. This owner and his puppet GM have no desire to do so and the comments today prove that point totally.

Just read this morning that the upcoming (Dec. 1st) MLB collective bargaining negotiations will include a possible 'salary floor'. In other words a designated minimum payroll for all teams. The comment by Huntington about watching what they spend may be in response to this. If there is a salary floor established it will probably be linked in a specific way to revenue sharing. The Pirates probably want to be as close as possible to the salary floor so as to be assured of not to losing any revenue sharing money.
mouse

Post by mouse »

A new CBA may well change a lot of things. I hadn't heard about a floor for spending but have heard a lot of complaining by wealthier about how the revenue sharing money is being used (and not used). The other possible change I've heard is the DH for the National League. I find it hard to think of that sort of arrangement as real baseball but I may have to adjust. And then there is talk of changing how the draft works. Should be an interesting winter.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

How do these people get away with this?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5676657879170 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

What pitcher would you sign?  As it stands Ivan Freaking Nova is going to get something like 5/70 million dollars from someone.  Ivan Nova. I'd have just kept Liriano--no argument for me on that one.

I'd love them to make a signing as well.  If not a trade though I'm hoping they don't do something stupid for the sake of proving to people like you that they are not trying to "get away with this."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

4A7874746052717875707F78190 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

What pitcher would you sign?  As it stands Ivan Freaking Nova is going to get something like 5/70 million dollars from someone.  Ivan Nova.  I'd have just kept Liriano--no argument for me on that one. 

I'd love them to make a signing as well.  If not a trade though I'm hoping they don't do something stupid for the sake of proving to people like you that they are not trying to "get away with this."

My post wasn't about how they should spend or who they should sign......but rather the apparent cry of being poor almost immediately after dumping 13 million and two prospects for financial flexibility.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

6040534E4F210 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

What pitcher would you sign?  As it stands Ivan Freaking Nova is going to get something like 5/70 million dollars from someone.  Ivan Nova.  I'd have just kept Liriano--no argument for me on that one. 

My post wasn't about how they should spend or who they should sign......but rather the apparent cry of being poor almost immediately after dumping 13 million and two prospects for financial flexibility.

It gave them the flexibility to sign 34 year old, .270 13 hitting David Freese to a 3yr contract to either 1) Back up Kang 2) platoon at 1b. 3) start at first base inadequately, which is the Pirate way with 1st base.

Flexibility!   The immense COST of starting pitching and their financial reasons for why they can't acquire someone is the exact same reason they shouldn't have salary dumped Liriano.   

We can't salary dump a very talented, very successful LH starting pitcher who needs to rebound... for 17 million dollars and then turn around and say 17 million dollars doesn't buy us starting pitching.  It makes no sense. (not that it matters)

We gave starting pitching away. 
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F3F2C31305E0 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

Yeah, sorry misunderstood there. I am pretty sure nobody likes that "deal" then or now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7D747C6D63190 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

It gave them the flexibility to sign 34 year old, .270 13 hitting David Freese to a 3yr contract to either 1) Back up Kang 2) platoon at 1b. 3) start at first base inadequately, which is the Pirate way with 1st base.

Flexibility!   The immense COST of starting pitching and their financial reasons for why they can't acquire someone is the exact same reason they shouldn't have salary dumped Liriano.   

We can't salary dump a very talented, very successful LH starting pitcher who needs to rebound... for 17 million dollars and then turn around and say 17 million dollars doesn't buy us starting pitching.    It makes no sense.  (not that it matters)

We gave starting pitching away. 

Liriano was terrible. Why do you want him back? What were you supposed to do with him in 2016? He was terrible. They were still in the 2016 hunt when he was traded. Liriano was hurting their 2016 chances. He wasn't going to the minors, he wasn't going to the bullpen. He was traded. Gone. He was awful.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

414A424E4B4A511412655C444D4A4A0B464A250 wrote:

Liriano was terrible.  Why do you want him back?  What were you supposed to do with him in 2016?  He was terrible.  They were still in the 2016 hunt when he was traded.  Liriano was hurting their 2016 chances.  He wasn't going to the minors, he wasn't going to the bullpen.  He was traded.  Gone.  He was awful. 

But looking at the upcoming FA class, do you see a better option to take a chance on rebounding? Because rebound candidates are about the only ones there.

I understand the reason for the trade (which is different than liking the trade itself) but I would have held on.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1B3B2835345A0 wrote: So after an arguably horrible salary dump trade all we heard about was "financial flexibility". But we're not even a week into the off season after a terribly disappointing losing year and the Pirates are already crying poor claiming how "tight" the budget is?

They can get away with it because people still buy tickets. People could see this coming a while ago. SOP ... Same old Pirates.