Half-Full or Half-Empty?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by bucs607179 »

695C4B4B40794B4B40474B2E0 wrote: The "Half-Fullers" might point to the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers draft, when they took four eventual Hall-of-Famers en route to building a historical record of achievement 47 years ago.

The "Half-Emptiers" might point to "The Process" Philadelphia 76ers, who openly admitted to tanking so that they could accumulate top draft position from 2014 tbrough 2017.

One turned out historically well.  The other- so far- is widely considered disappointing.

2014- Joel Embiid, taken third.  One of the best players in the league, with some injury history.

2015- Jahil Okafor- Also taken third.  Good pick.  Most teams would have taken him higb.  Bust of busts.  Gone from the team long ago.

2016- Ben Simmons- Taken first.  Good pick.  Good, though faulty player.  One of the faults?  Didn't get it done in crunch time.

2017-Markelle Fultz- Taken first.  Good pick in the sense that several teams would have taken him high, but Bust of all Busts' Busts.  Gone from the team long ago.

And, those were only the Sixers' first picks in the first rounds.  They had some picks later in first rounds, and none are worth writing home about.

Here's an article that gives more details/explantions.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/it ... ar-AALJ5nf

"Sure Things" aren't as sure things that fans think they are.

The quesition to us is- is Ben and Company closer to the 1974 Steelers....or, The Sixers' "Process"?

Tune in to find out.

I think it was the right move for the Sixers. A lucky bounce in Toronto kept them out of the NBA finals few years back and I really thought they were going to be in finals this year. IMO a better team then ATL.
GreenWeenie

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by GreenWeenie »

I didn't write anything having to do with the time it takes to play.

I said "successful".  I didn't say how long it takes to become successful.  That has nothing to do with the point.

About half of blue chip athletes don't turn out to be all that much of a chip, over the course of time, at the highest level. Some of those who do, don't achieve with their original team.

Various reasons.  Various sports.  Various teams.

For every Ken Griffey, Jr., there's an offsetting Bullington.  Maybe even more.

Can't Misses often miss.  It's far from unusual. 

In any sport, any team.  I dnk how often I need to write it.  Ought to be obvious.  I guess it isn't.

Bobster21

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by Bobster21 »

6E5B4C4C477E4C4C47404C290 wrote: I didn't write anything having to do with the time it takes to play.

I said "successful".  I didn't say how long it takes to become successful.  That has nothing to do with the point.

About half of blue chip athletes don't turn out to be all that much of a chip, over the course of time, at the highest level.  Some of those who do, don't achieve with their original team.

Various reasons.  Various sports.  Various teams.

For every Ken Griffey, Jr., there's an offsetting Bullington.  Maybe even more.

Can't Misses often miss.  It's far from unusual. 

In any sport, any team.  I dnk how often I need to write it.  Ought to be obvious.  I guess it isn't.

Perhaps if you had explained it any way other than the way you explained it in the original post. You began by noting the NFL Steelers added 4 HOFers in one draft. Then mentioned a series of drafts by the NBA 76ers before posing the question "The question to us is- is Ben and Company closer to the 1974 Steelers....or, The Sixers' "Process?"

You didn't say that your point was that not all draft picks work out, which is a given regardless of the sport. You did compare the Pirates to the Steelers or Sixers "process". So it's easy to think you meant the process of building thru the draft, which is worlds apart in MLB than from the NFL or NBA. But if your point is that some high picks in the NFL and NBA who are expected to be impact players immediately don't work out while some high picks in MLB who are expected to receive several years of minor league seasoning before they get to MLB also don't work out, then we agree.
GreenWeenie

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by GreenWeenie »

One was used because it's well-known as an example of a team that drafted exceptionally well in one year.

The other was an example of a team that didn't care about winning so that they would accumulate a high number of early picks over time- four years. It was a good idea on paper, but the games are played on hardwood.

A lot can happen between 18 and 24 or 25. Sometimes, a lot of good happens. Unfortunately, bad happens, too. You never know.
Surgnbuck

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by Surgnbuck »

So you start a thread asking for opinions just to tell everyone they are wrong because they don't see things your way.

Good work.
GreenWeenie

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by GreenWeenie »

Thanks.

I'll thank you more after you point to where I asked for opinions.

I don't see it. Must number that mirage you're seeing again.
johnfluharty

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by johnfluharty »

The title of the threat has a question mark, it implies your asking for opinions.
Surgnbuck

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by Surgnbuck »

764354545F6654545F5854310 wrote: Thanks.

I'll thank you more after you point to where I asked for opinions. 

I don't see it.  Must number that mirage you're seeing again.
Surely, you must be kidding.
GreenWeenie

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by GreenWeenie »

This is your second time telling me what I wrote and you were picked off base.

When I'm wrong, I admit it and usually apologize.

You choose to go another route.

To each our own.

Must've been "good work" for as many times as you contributed to it.

Keep it friendly. It's only a game.
Javy

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Post by Javy »

WV Buccos already commented on the thread inviting opinion. Sorry, but your closing comment is also formed in the request for opinion.

[highlight]The quesition to us is- is Ben and Company closer to the 1974 Steelers....or, The Sixers' "Process"?

[/highlight]

Tune in to find out.

By inviting replies, you are asking for opinions. Every reply is someone's opinion, which you seem to disagree with.

My opinion is this - you are simply taking another swipe at Cherington and his staff using examples of two other franchises in different sports, from two completely different eras.

The Pirates cannot build completely through the draft. They'll never sign an expensive free agent. Without a very strong farm system, they can't make the type of trades where they are so deep they can offer impactful prospects for impactful players, even though that trend is declining because teams don't give up top prospects for short term gains.

The other management team never was good at drafting and developing players in 10+ years - they deserved the scorn they got. You continue to beat the same drum on this group after one - ONE - draft. Give it, and us, a break.