Could Musgrove Be A Closer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Someone will take a chance on him, and I'm OK if he's dealt. We've traded far better guys.

No way will Pittsburgh pay the going rate for a veteran fifth starter, so he'd want out, anyway.

It's not that I dislike him. I just don't like him enough to care if he's traded. Just another guy.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A5F4848437A48484344482D0 wrote: Someone will take a chance on him, and I'm OK if he's dealt.  We've traded far better guys.

No way will Pittsburgh pay the going rate for a veteran fifth starter, so he'd want out, anyway.

It's not that I dislike him.  I just don't like him enough to care if he's traded.  Just another guy.
I agree. But I also feel he could be a top reliever and that's how I'd use him next year. If he was a good closer it would enhance his trade value more than being a mediocre 5th starter.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree on the relieving part- seeing that our pitching coach is a bullpen coach.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: I agree on the relieving part-  seeing that our pitching coach is a bullpen coach.
The season before the Pirates got him he had a 6.12 ERA as a starter the 1st half of the season. The Astros moved him to the BP the 2nd half and he was great. As a reliever:

G-23

IP-31.1

H-22

ER-5

BB-5

K-31

Saves-2

ERA-1.44

WHIP-0.862

BA against-.196
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Middle relief? Closer?

They key questions are- what does the guy want to do, and where does he want to do it?

We already know what BOB does not want to do.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

If Jamo can't come back as a starter , he would be a guy I could see moving to a closer role. Make Musgrove an 8th inning guy and we could be looking at Rich Rod, Cederlind, Musgrove, Taillon 6,7,8,9

On paper sounds much better than Hartlieb, Howard, Stratton, Turley