Game Thread - 7/16 - Bucs @ Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

replays not going our way....lost a game on an overturn that didnt appear to have clear evidence; this double looked golden.

Just like with the NFL, I sometimes think those in "New York" favor certain officials calls
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6D53565E4D55555E7E5B4C5F083A0 wrote: What good is instant replay- Heineman was safe!!
I don't get it, seemed pretty clear he was safe
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Yoshi just isn't a power hitter anymore
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

actually, let me revise....Yoshi just isn't a hitter anymore
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

VanMeter is pathetic
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0A2C2B3E373B2C3A32590 wrote: VanMeter is pathetic
Only on the Pittsburgh Pirates would you see VanMeter with the

game on the line be used as a pinch hitter. Lifetime he is 1 for 28

as a PH
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wasted effort by Keller in another strong start.

In the 4th I switched to the Rockies broadcast, which is also produced by AT&T SportsNet. What a refreshing difference. PBP guy Drew Goodman focused on the game instead of trying to be funny. He offered no nicknames or catchphrases. And he enabled former MLB player Jeff Huson to focus on the game instead of often asking him about his own career. And I never saw a camera shot of them in the booth. They did go off on a tangent once in the 7th inning talking about Star Wars. It was "Star Wars Day" at the ballpark with some fans in costume. But otherwise a very professional, focused broadcast unlike all the foolishness the Pirates broadcasters try to entertain us with. This answered my question about whether AT&T SportsNet influences the style in which the announcers present the game. Maybe the producers of the Pirate broadcasts should confer with their Colorado counterparts and learn how to put on a game.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

042924353223347477460 wrote: Wasted effort by Keller in another strong start.

In the 4th I switched to the Rockies broadcast, which is also produced by AT&T SportsNet. What a refreshing difference. PBP guy Drew Goodman focused on the game instead of trying to be funny. He offered no nicknames or catchphrases. And he enabled former MLB player Jeff Huson to focus on the game instead of often asking him about his own career. And I never saw a camera shot of them in the booth. They did go off on a tangent once in the 7th inning talking about Star Wars. It was "Star Wars Day" at the ballpark with some fans in costume. But otherwise a very professional, focused broadcast unlike all the foolishness the Pirates broadcasters try to entertain us with. This answered my question about whether AT&T SportsNet influences the style in which the announcers present the game. Maybe the producers of the Pirate broadcasts should confer with their Colorado counterparts and learn how to put on a game.   
It's refreshing to know that there are some teams that have

professionals working the game unlike the clowns we have to listen to. Not referring to Walker ( who I like) and Young ( who can put you to sleep) but is professional
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Yhe lumber Company is closed for repairs :-/
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

A day game at Coors field that features all of 2 extra base hits (2 doubles) between the 2 teams.  In watching the game you'd think baseball may need to lower the mound to try and create more offense. 

It is past time for Cherington to move on from the players who have not worked out this year.  VanMeter and Tsutugo have no trade value, and there is no reason to trot them out on the field any longer this year.  Perhaps Vogelbach would yield a small return, as may a trade of Gamel or Marisnick, but I wouldn't expect much.  Newman could attract some interest from a team that is experiencing injury problems in the infield, but again, he was one of the 5 worst hitters in the NL last year.   

On the pitching front, Quintana may have some limited value, and none of the relievers (barring a trade of Bednar) is likely to draw much interest.

I am hoping for a noisy trade deadline period from the Pirates, meaning that there are a lot of moves, but like most noise, but when it stops, there is really nothing to talk about.

And of course, the best news over the All-Star break would be the dismissal of Shelton and Rabelo  He hasn't had a lot to work with, but he doesn't appear to get the most out of what he has had.   

The only part of the team that is now functioning much better than anyone would have believed is possible is the starting rotation.  Most have shown real improvement as the season has progressed, even though the weather is now hotter and is typically the time when some slumbering bats wake up. While there are no guarantees, perhaps Keller, Brubaker, Contreras, and Thompson can be a serviceable contingent of starters for next year.