Is It Time For Kingham To Go

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I'm not at all ready to give up on Kingham. Maybe it's sentimentality on my part. Five years ago, I was pushing him as being a future #3 starter. I think that's probably his ceiling at this point, but I do believe there is talent there, and I do believe that he is capable of being an effective MLB starter. This might sound crazy, but perhaps they should try him for one inning. Wasn't Vazquez at one point thought to be a failed starter? Look at him now. I'm not saying Kingham will become another Vazquez. But, the guy at one time had decent control with good stuff. I think he throws four pitches. Try him for an inning. He doesn't have to worry about pacing himself. Just go out and get three outs. Maybe even use him as a true "opener," and just tell him that he's just pitching the first inning. I just think it's way too premature and too reactionary based on his recent track record to cut bait on Kingham.

Remember, we said the same thing about Morton, Cole, and Glasnow.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

575F5C6B7D587F701E0 wrote: I'm not at all ready to give up on Kingham. Maybe it's sentimentality on my part. Five years ago, I was pushing him as being a future #3 starter. I think that's probably his ceiling at this point, but I do believe there is talent there, and I do believe that he is capable of being an effective MLB starter. This might sound crazy, but perhaps they should try him for one inning. Wasn't Vazquez at one point thought to be a failed starter? Look at him now. I'm not saying Kingham will become another Vazquez. But, the guy at one time had decent control with good stuff. I think he throws four pitches. Try him for an inning. He doesn't have to worry about pacing himself. Just go out and get three outs. Maybe even use him as a true "opener," and just tell him that he's just pitching the first inning. I just think it's way too premature and too reactionary based on his recent track record to cut bait on Kingham.

Remember, we said the same thing about Morton, Cole, and Glasnow.

Notwithstanding the recent results, I agree with you.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0C2B20034E0 wrote: Oh, gosh, if Nutting hears that, Bobster, I can just see the new promotion for next year. Forget bobbleheads -- they call your ticket in the fifth inning, you have to be in the stands, you come out to start the 6th, and you get a commemorative tape of the appearance.

I imagined it going the other way. The person who throws out the first pitch stays on the mound and becomes the "opener".

GREAT line! ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I had heard all the hype for Kingham when he was in the minors but knew nothing more than that. I expected him to become a good starter for the Pirates. But now when I go back and review his minor league stats, it seems like the hype was not in line with performance.

He began AA in 2013 and had a nice ERA of 2.70. But the WHIP (1.364) was not exceptional as he gave up nearly a hit per innings and nearly 4 walks per 9 IP. His AA stats were very similar in 2014. His career ERA in AAA is almost 4 runs per game (3.87) although his control improved there. But he was so often dealing with injuries that it's difficult to ascertain if his lack of dominating stats was due to being less than 100% or because his stuff just isn't that good. He's been healthy in the majors and can't seem to get guys out.

I saw a scouting report that said his best pitch was his curve and that he had a good changeup that supposedly was effective vs LH batters. But LH batters have hit .324 with 15 HRs in 219 career ABs against him. He's supposed to have good control but this season walked 17 in 34 IP. If he clears waivers, fine. Maybe he can restart his career in AAA. I just don't know if he's got much to offer.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

He’s not the same pitcher as before his TJ. He used to throw a 95 mph 4-seamer deep into games which was complemented by his breaking stuff. Now his 4-seamer sits at 91 mph and his 2-seamer is around 87-88 mph. He cannot make mistakes in the middle of the plate. So, he nibbles on the edges much more leading to more walks and being behind in counts.

Unless he can miraculously regain 5 mph on his fastballs, his only path forward is to become Trevor Williams II. But those guys are rare.