Which Hitter Should The Bucs Pursue This Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The Pirates need two bats. At least one has to be "cheap".

My vote:

Matt Adams - big lefty bat, can play OF until Polanco is back and can then back up at 1st and OF. Cheap

Mike Moustakas - Big lefty bat to take over 3rd. I don't know what the mutual options really means, but he looks to be in the same position as a FA - One big splash for a run at the WS - EXPENSIVE!

Two big lefty bats and this team is very scary.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Can Matt Adams play the outfield? I think he has enough trouble at first. I don't think he's very quick, nor is he particularly mobile. He does hit well, though. I can see him for first (although he, like Bell, hits left handed); not so sure I buy him in the outfield.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I was thinking along the same lines as Iowa.

Bucs have traded a lot of their higher rated minor league talent. There are not a lot of jewels left in the system; with Keller and Hayes likely the best remaining players. I would be hesitant to deal either.

As Iowa also noted, not that much available via free agency. As such, if the Bucs want an impact bat, they likely need to trade for such. Frankly, most of the veteran players on the Pirate's roster don't have a lot of value, unless they trade good starting pitching or Marte, neither of which they really can afford to do.

Thought # 1 - Vasquez is the best talent that the Pirates have that they may have enough depth to trade. Not sure who to target by dangling Vasquez, but will give some further thought.

Thought # 2 - While he is not a sure thing, perhaps the Bucs pursue Greg Bird from the Yankees. Bird has had injuries and 2 down years, but he has 11 HR's (albeit playing in Yankee stadium) with only half as many AB's as Bell this year. Could be worth a flyer and not have a high cost.

Thought # 3 - Bucs go for Bellinger of the Dodgers. Is having a decent, but not a great year. I particularly like that he can play either the OF or 1st. He also has an insignificant salary. With Vasquez as a cost controlled pitcher, perhaps they would be interested in Vasquez (to go with Jansen) for Bellinger and some other talent. Dodgers lack a lock-down pen.

Thought # 4 - I know that he has tailed off as the season has worn on, and that he is no longer a premier player, but if one of the goals is to bridge the gap until Polanco returns, perhaps the Bucs could trade for Matt Kemp, provided the Bucs send little talent to the Dodgers and the Dodgers paying about half of his $21.5 mil salary. He has hit 20 HR this year and has an OPS slightly north of .800. Dodgers likely anxious to move him and as much of his salary as they can. He could play RF in Pittsburgh.

Too bad that Kang couldn't play this year to demonstrate if he had any real upside.

Would be really nice to see the Bucs take it to the Brewers this weekend.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Two other potential targets who are on the D-Backs:

Paul Goldschmidt who only has one year on his contract. Cost would be very high. But MLB Trade Rumors suggests he could be available. Not even sure where to begin on who to trade.

Secondly, although he has been injured for over half the year, Jake Lamb. Lamb can play 3B or perhaps 1st. Hit a boat load of HR's in 2016 and 2017. Again, no idea what it would take to get him. Also unsure where he is in his recovery.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Go after a young bat in the Rockies system they are loaded. Guys are blocked behind Arenado and Story. Or maybe go after Dahl guy is a player but has injury history.

Matt Adams would be nice
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

5E727A7D7651667060130 wrote: Two other potential targets who are on the D-Backs:

Paul Goldschmidt who only has one year on his contract.  Cost would be very high.  But MLB Trade Rumors suggests he could be available.  Not even sure where to begin on who to trade.

Secondly, although he has been injured for over half the year, Jake Lamb.  Lamb can play 3B or perhaps 1st.  Hit a boat load of HR's in 2016 and 2017.  Again, no idea what it would take to get him.  Also unsure where he is in his recovery.   

I shudder to even begin to think what it would cost to acquire Goldschmidt for even one year. I'd think probably Keller and Bell would be a start, but I'm sure Arizona would want more.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I'm not sold on Newman and Kramer as our keystone combo.Would love to get current Tiger Iglesias to be our SS. Give Kramer another year at AAA. Let Newman back up Frazier at 2nd and SS.

Need a lefty bat to play RF until Polanco returns. Granderson could be added as a FA, but I like current Indian Lonnie Chisenhall better. He used to play 3b - wonder if he still can.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

133932023523232F400 wrote: I'm not sold on Newman and Kramer as our keystone combo.Would love to get current Tiger Iglesias to be our SS. Give Kramer another year at AAA. Let Newman back up Frazier at 2nd and SS.

Need a lefty bat to play RF until Polanco returns. Granderson could be added as a FA, but I like current Indian Lonnie Chisenhall better. He used to play 3b - wonder if he still can.

former Bucco draft pick, he played one game at third in 2016 and none since then. He may be a possible target of Bucs as he shouldn't want a big deal (he really shouldn't get a raise over his 5,6 million this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... lo01.shtml

rucker59@gmail.com

4143595F492C0 wrote: Can Matt Adams play the outfield? I think he has enough trouble at first. I don't think he's very quick, nor is he particularly mobile. He does hit well, though. I can see him for first (although he, like Bell, hits left handed); not so sure I buy him in the outfield.

Adams can play the OF, not particuarly well perhaps, but certainly above last years' replacements by the Pirates waiting for Marte. I'm thinkinghe can be steady in RF.
rucker59@gmail.com

644840474C6B5C4A5A290 wrote: I was thinking along the same lines as Iowa.

Bucs have traded a lot of their higher rated minor league talent.  There are not a lot of jewels left in the system; with Keller and Hayes likely the best remaining players.  I would be hesitant to deal either.

As Iowa also noted, not that much available via free agency.  As such, if the Bucs want an impact bat, they likely need to trade for such.   Frankly, most of the veteran players on the Pirate's roster don't have a lot of value, unless they trade good starting pitching or Marte, neither of which they really can afford to do. 

Thought # 1 - Vasquez is the best talent that the Pirates have that they may have enough depth to trade.  Not sure who to target by dangling Vasquez, but will give some further thought.    

Thought # 2 - While he is not a sure thing, perhaps the Bucs pursue Greg Bird from the Yankees.  Bird has had injuries and 2 down years, but he has 11 HR's (albeit playing in Yankee stadium) with only half as many AB's as Bell this year. Could be worth a flyer and not have a high cost.

Thought # 3 - Bucs go for Bellinger of the Dodgers.  Is having a decent, but not a great year.  I particularly like that he can play either the OF or 1st.   He also has an insignificant salary.  With Vasquez as a cost controlled pitcher, perhaps they would be interested in Vasquez (to go with Jansen) for Bellinger and some other talent.  Dodgers lack a lock-down pen.

Thought # 4 - I know that he has tailed off as the season has worn on, and that he is no longer a premier player, but if one of the goals is to bridge the gap until Polanco returns, perhaps the Bucs could trade for Matt Kemp, provided the Bucs send little talent to the Dodgers and the Dodgers paying about half of his $21.5 mil salary.  He has hit 20 HR this year and has an OPS slightly north of .800.  Dodgers likely anxious to move him and as much of his salary as they can.  He could play RF in Pittsburgh. 

Too bad that Kang couldn't play this year to demonstrate if he had any real upside.

Would be really nice to see the Bucs take it to the Brewers this weekend.

My thoughts on yours:

I have three goals in mind, that must be addressed - 1) a replacement for Polanco for potentially half the season, 2) more power which is going to be really tough because Polanco is also a power bat, and 3) proven talent.

To your four points:

1) I can't see trading Vazquez; he is critical to a WS team. For that matter, I can't see trading anyone off the Major League team that has value: Marte, I would have been willing to trade until Polanco's injury, but not now; none of the Starting Pitching can be traded; Bell...maybe, but I'm thinking he can still be a 30 HR guy so I'm not likely to trade him unless blown away. No one else has any real value.

So trades involving ML players don't seem to offer much in the way of improving the team.

2) Greg Bird - looks like a Pirate move to me. Can almost certainly be added for little costs. Cheap. Unknown. I'd rather have Bell in the lineup.

So I would oppose trading Vasquez, Marte, Starting Pitching or Bell.

3) Bellingher is definitely an intriguing name. But he'll be too costly in the trade. I can't justify weakening the team to add him. He'll probably take a high end prospect, and I don't think the Pirate can tap many more, if any, decent prospects.

4) I don't know what the number would actually be, but lets say $10M - too much for Kemp.

This is one year the Pirates are going to have to spend money if they want to truly make the team better. They don't have enough trading pieces to solve their issues unless they want to create new issues on the ML team.

We need dependable power that can play OF, 1st and 3rd. FA is the only opportunity to pull this off.