Tucker and Reynolds recalled

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I'm pretty impressed with Reynolds in general. He had pretty good plate discipline and pitch recognition.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I hope Tucker can get his bat going because his defense has been very good since he has been called up from the minors.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: The past two games Hurdle has batted Tucker 8th. I don’t think Tucker should be batting eighth. Either he should bat lead off with Frazier behind him or second behind Frazier. Tucker can steal bases so he should be at the top of the order. Since Cervelli has been struggling, he would be a good candidate to bat eighth.
Also, the 8th hitter doesn't see many good pitches to hit because the pitcher is not worried about the guy batting behind him. Not ideal for a rookie just getting his feet wet in MLB. 

Tucker did get an important hit in the 13th of the Sunday game, but he only has those 2 rbi from his debut. I wish that Hurdle would try a lineup starting with these 4 players. Tucker, Frazier, Marte and Bell. After those 4 he can shuffle as best he can. At leadoff Tucker will see better pitches, or bat Tucker second because I just recalled he had a perfect bunt a few games ago. If he is a good bunter the Bucs can refer back to the days when Jay Bell would bunt runners over in the second spot of the batting order. The eighth spot is not a good spot for Tucker.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

535F5E050C050D00071802350 wrote: The past two games Hurdle has batted Tucker 8th. I don’t think Tucker should be batting eighth. Either he should bat lead off with Frazier behind him or second behind Frazier. Tucker can steal bases so he should be at the top of the order. Since Cervelli has been struggling, he would be a good candidate to bat eighth.
Also, the 8th hitter doesn't see many good pitches to hit because the pitcher is not worried about the guy batting behind him. Not ideal for a rookie just getting his feet wet in MLB. 

Tucker did get an important hit in the 13th of the Sunday game, but he only has those 2 rbi from his debut. I wish that Hurdle would try a lineup starting with these 4 players. Tucker, Frazier, Marte and Bell. After those 4 he can shuffle as best he can.  At leadoff Tucker will see better pitches, or bat Tucker second because I just recalled he had a perfect bunt a few games ago. If he is a good bunter the Bucs can refer back to the days when Jay Bell would bunt runners over in the second spot of the batting order. The eighth spot is not a good spot for Tucker.
Tucker was 4 for 11 seeing better pitches batting leadoff. Batting 8th where he sees a lot of borderline pitches with the pitcher on deck, he's 3 for 25.
TBird

Post by TBird »

IMO I think CH puts Tucker in to see him fail at hitting so that way he has an excuse to send him down and put in a veteran player in place...

You know how loyal CH is with vets ( :P) and has very little patience with younger players.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Tucker’s average has dipped below.200, and I wonder if he continues to struggle if the Bucs return him to Indy. He has been very good in the field, but I doubt the Pirates would want him to struggle at the plate. Remember in 2001 they returned Jack Wilson to AAA after struggling at the Big League level, and when he returned he had more confidence and became a good hitter.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Tucker’s average has dipped below.200, and I wonder if he continues to struggle if the Bucs return him to Indy. He has been very good in the field, but I doubt the Pirates would want him to struggle at the plate. Remember in 2001 they returned Jack Wilson to AAA after struggling at the Big League level, and when he returned he had more confidence and became a good hitter.
They might prefer to do that but right now he and Newman are the only SSs on the team. If they gave the job to Newman (which they were so opposed to doing that they obtained Gonzalez) they would have no one other than Kang who ever played there and I doubt they want to make him the backup SS.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: The past two games Hurdle has batted Tucker 8th. I don’t think Tucker should be batting eighth. Either he should bat lead off with Frazier behind him or second behind Frazier. Tucker can steal bases so he should be at the top of the order. Since Cervelli has been struggling, he would be a good candidate to bat eighth.

Just heard Michael McHenry on his weekly visit on The Fan and when asked about Tucker batting eighth he agreed it is very difficult for a young player to bat in front of the pitcher. He said he struggled when Hurdle batted him eighth. Tucker lately has been hitting seventh and his hitting has improved. I think there is no way he should bat eighth. I really believe he would excel batting lead off.