Game Thread - July 30 - Bucs @ Cubbies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

075147535C46565D5047755258545C591B56350 wrote: They way Polanco has been playing Osuna should replace him as DH, or let him play first and let Bell DH. I also like it when Evans is in the lineup, but someone else would have to sit if Evans and Osuna both started.

I've seen articles and heard reports on radio and television about how impressive Polanco was throughout Spring Training and the workouts in July.  Now I realize why:  he was hitting against Pirates pitching.  Even with the DH I don't think he should be in the line-up, which might say more about the line-up than it does about Polanco.

He has to go.  The problem is that he isn't very good so it's not possible to get any worthwhile return for him.  BC has to pray Polanco goes on a 10-day tear soon while at the same time a team in contention has a couple of outfielders go down.  Otherwise, the club is stuck with him through the end of his contract.  Of course, they could simply release him and hope another team picks him up.  Nutting would then save nearly $600,000 over each of the next few years.  We know he'd be down with that.
I agree. it's absurd how much they overrate Polanco. I think they feel they have to do that because they previously hyped him so much as a 3rd of a "dream OF." So they keep acting as if he is a legit impact player. It just isn't true. He's a career .251 hitter whose BAs have ranged only from .235 to .258. His career high in HRs was 23. And although he got hurt that year, he played thru the 1st week of September. So maybe if he was lucky he might have hit 25. His next highest HR totals are 22 and 11. He's not an offensive force. He's poor in all other facets of the game. They paid him as if he's a star even though he isn't. He wouldn't make a lot of teams and would be a 4th OFer for most teams he could make. He's due 11.6 mil next year and at least 3 mil to get rid of him buy out his option in 2022. What other team wants that?

This new regime didn't sign him, didn't develop him, didn't hype him. So I hope they don't feel they need to play him. I think he's a wasted roster spot but I'd rather pay him not to play while taking a look at others.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Who do you mean by "they"?

There are those who will buy whatever the organization attempts to sell.

Fans on the two, now-defunct- boards that I was a member of used to crow on and on about the the guy, and just about every guy.

I said then that all this Polanco guy does is ride Cutch's and Marte's coat tails, and he's not a guy who can carry an outfield, let alone a club.  I used to get blasted for it.  Look what the guy's done since they've been gone.  Not a whole lot. 

In his defense, at least he's never gotten suspended for a drug violation.

If he's the best at his position, he should play. If there's anyone better, he shouldn't. Just my opinion.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: They way Polanco has been playing Osuna should replace him as DH, or let him play first and let Bell DH. I also like it when Evans is in the lineup, but someone else would have to sit if Evans and Osuna both started.

I've seen articles and heard reports on radio and television about how impressive Polanco was throughout Spring Training and the workouts in July.  Now I realize why:  he was hitting against Pirates pitching.  Even with the DH I don't think he should be in the line-up, which might say more about the line-up than it does about Polanco.

He has to go.  The problem is that he isn't very good so it's not possible to get any worthwhile return for him.  BC has to pray Polanco goes on a 10-day tear soon while at the same time a team in contention has a couple of outfielders go down.  Otherwise, the club is stuck with him through the end of his contract.  Of course, they could simply release him and hope another team picks him up.  Nutting would then save nearly $600,000 over each of the next few years.  We know he'd be down with that.
I agree. it's absurd how much they overrate Polanco. I think they feel they have to do that because they previously hyped him so much as a 3rd of a "dream OF." So they keep acting as if he is a legit impact player. It just isn't true. He's a career .251 hitter whose BAs have ranged only from .235 to .258. His career high in HRs was 23. And although he got hurt that year, he played thru the 1st week of September. So maybe if he was lucky he might have hit 25. His next highest HR totals are 22 and 11. He's not an offensive force. He's poor in all other facets of the game. They paid him as if he's a star even though he isn't. He wouldn't make a lot of teams and would be a 4th OFer for most teams he could make. He's due 11.6 mil next year and at least 3 mil to get rid of him buy out his option in 2022. What other team wants that?

[highlight]This new regime didn't sign him, didn't develop him, didn't hype him. So I hope they don't feel they need to play him.[/highlight] I think he's a wasted roster spot but I'd rather pay him not to play while taking a look at others.

This has been what I've been hoping for. After this weird baseball "season", it would help ease my frustration if the Pirates parted ways with him.

All of your points about his offense are factual and thus true. But what drives me the most crazy about him has been his inconsistency. He has rarely ever performed well for more than a week at a time before falling into a two-three week long funk. I realize that playing him in hopes that he goes on a streak is the only way to increase his trade value but, at this point, I've no problem with just releasing him and moving on.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

184E584C435949424F586A4D474B434604492A0 wrote: They way Polanco has been playing Osuna should replace him as DH, or let him play first and let Bell DH. I also like it when Evans is in the lineup, but someone else would have to sit if Evans and Osuna both started.

[highlight]This new regime didn't sign him, didn't develop him, didn't hype him. So I hope they don't feel they need to play him.[/highlight] I think he's a wasted roster spot but I'd rather pay him not to play while taking a look at others.

This has been what I've been hoping for.  After this weird baseball "season", it would help ease my frustration if the Pirates parted ways with him.

All of your points about his offense are factual and thus true.  But what drives me the most crazy about him has been his inconsistency.  He has rarely ever performed well for more than a week at a time before falling into a two-three week long funk.  I realize that playing him in hopes that he goes on a streak is the only way to increase his trade value but, at this point,[highlight] I've no problem with just releasing him and moving on.[/highlight]

Agree. Whatever direction they choose with him is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: They way Polanco has been playing Osuna should replace him as DH, or let him play first and let Bell DH. I also like it when Evans is in the lineup, but someone else would have to sit if Evans and Osuna both started.

This has been what I've been hoping for.  After this weird baseball "season", it would help ease my frustration if the Pirates parted ways with him.

All of your points about his offense are factual and thus true.  But what drives me the most crazy about him has been his inconsistency.  He has rarely ever performed well for more than a week at a time before falling into a two-three week long funk.  I realize that playing him in hopes that he goes on a streak is the only way to increase his trade value but, at this point, I've no problem with just releasing him and moving on.

I would not give up on Polanco just yet let's wait and see if this coaching staff can do with him first.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

342C2E29293E2F28353422470 wrote: They way Polanco has been playing Osuna should replace him as DH, or let him play first and let Bell DH. I also like it when Evans is in the lineup, but someone else would have to sit if Evans and Osuna both started.

All of your points about his offense are factual and thus true.  But what drives me the most crazy about him has been his inconsistency.  He has rarely ever performed well for more than a week at a time before falling into a two-three week long funk.  I realize that playing him in hopes that he goes on a streak is the only way to increase his trade value but, at this point, I've no problem with just releasing him and moving on.

I would not give up on Polanco just yet let's wait and see if this coaching staff can do with him first.

Perhaps that's prudent but I believe he is what he is after his years here. He's been a terribly inconsistent hitter, an awful base runner, and a below average defender. And worst of all, he has no instincts for, or understanding of, the game. And I just don't think any of that will change.