Potential d backs trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Potential d backs trade

Post by Bobster21 »

6F4B5F57523E0 wrote: Ahmed won a gold glove and equaled Andrelton Simmons in defensive runs saved. 16 homers as well. Newman couldn't come close.
16 HRs would have been 3rd on the Pirates.

I love his defense, but I have my doubts whether he'd have close to the same power numbers with the Pirates. In his career, he's feasted on pitching at Coors and Dodger Stadium. At PNC Park he's slashed .205/.263/.364 (BA/OBP/SLG); which is a lot like Hechavarria's numbers there: .233/.277/.395- in a similar number of games. Not sure I'd be willing to give up assets for Ahmed when Hech is available as a FA signing.

Ahmed hit 16 HRs in 564 ABs last season and 6 in 178 ABs in 2017, which is comparable. If he can hit HRs, he could contribute offensively despite a low BA to the power deprived Pirates. Hit 7 of his 16 HRs at Chase Field even tho the D-backs were only league average in HRs. Only hit 2 each at Coors and in LA. And Chase Field was only 19th in HRs hit last season.
Roberto218

Potential d backs trade

Post by Roberto218 »

Dodger Stadium is a pitcher's park.
Quail

Potential d backs trade

Post by Quail »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Ahmed won a gold glove and equaled Andrelton Simmons in defensive runs saved. 16 homers as well. Newman couldn't come close.

I love his defense, but I have my doubts whether he'd have close to the same power numbers with the Pirates. In his career, he's feasted on pitching at Coors and Dodger Stadium. At PNC Park he's slashed .205/.263/.364 (BA/OBP/SLG); which is a lot like Hechavarria's numbers there: .233/.277/.395- in a similar number of games. Not sure I'd be willing to give up assets for Ahmed when Hech is available as a FA signing.

Ahmed hit 16 HRs in 564 ABs last season and 6 in 178 ABs in 2017, which is comparable. If he can hit HRs, he could contribute offensively despite a low BA to the power deprived Pirates. Hit 7 of his 16 HRs at Chase Field even tho the D-backs were only league average in HRs. Only hit 2 each at Coors and in LA. And Chase Field was only 19th in HRs hit last season.

While Ahmed hit only 4 home runs at Coors and Dodger Stadium combined, it still accounts for 25% of his total home run output for 2018. Add that to the 7 home runs he hit at home at Chase Field and 68% of his home runs came in only 3 parks. As you mentioned, Chase Field ranked 19th in home runs hit, while Coors ranked 2nd and Dodger Stadium (a pitcher's park??)was 11th. By comparison PNC Park ranked 26th which is the reason I have my doubts about Ahmed's power translating well if the Pirates acquire him.

Having said that, his defense is truly outstanding and would make him a great acquisition even if the PNC effect reduced his home run output by half.
Ecbucs

Potential d backs trade

Post by Ecbucs »

012531393C500 wrote: Ahmed won a gold glove and equaled Andrelton Simmons in defensive runs saved. 16 homers as well. Newman couldn't come close.

While Ahmed hit only 4 home runs at Coors and Dodger Stadium combined, it still accounts for 25% of his total home run output for 2018. Add that to the 7 home runs he hit at home at Chase Field and 68% of his home runs came in only 3 parks. As you mentioned, Chase Field ranked 19th in home runs hit, while Coors ranked 2nd and Dodger Stadium (a pitcher's park??)was 11th. By comparison PNC Park ranked 26th which is the reason I have my doubts about Ahmed's power translating well if the Pirates acquire him.

Having said that, his defense is truly outstanding and would make him a great acquisition even if the PNC effect reduced his home run output by half.

I believe someone at Bucs Dugout posted that at least a few of his homers would have been outs in PNC. Hitting homers every 35 at bats or so isn't that great if the hitter has a low average and doesn't draw walks either.

Ahmed's best season isn't as good as what Mercer put up in 2017. One question is whether Ahmed is improving.

His stats last year were about the same whether home or road. He did much better against lefties. 12 of his homers came in the first half (302 at bats) He hit over 250 every month but May and Sept/Oct.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... r=2018&t=b
BucsFaninGA

Potential d backs trade

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Ahmed or Galvis are better than Newman. Hechevarria or Iglesias as well. Anxious to see Bucs fill the need at SS! I hope they get it done before Christmas!!! Beat'em Bucs 8-)
notes34

Potential d backs trade

Post by notes34 »

4C6A6B7C6A7A090 wrote: Ahmed won a gold glove and equaled Andrelton Simmons in defensive runs saved. 16 homers as well. Newman couldn't come close.

I believe someone at Bucs Dugout posted that at least a few of his homers would have been outs in PNC.  Hitting homers every 35 at bats or so isn't that great if the hitter has a low average and doesn't draw walks either. 

Ahmed's best season isn't as good as what Mercer put up in 2017.  One question is whether Ahmed is improving.

His stats last year were about the same whether home or road.  He did much better against lefties. 12 of his homers came in the first half (302 at bats) He hit over 250 every month but May and Sept/Oct.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... r=2018&t=b

UMM except that he has +21 runs defensively and won a gold glove?