Archer re-signs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Archer re-signs

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

103536362308353D3F285A0 wrote: If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky).

At least with Cherington (whether he can pull it off or not), they're going all out to blow it up and rebuild it.

Agree with you on Huntington. I like what Cherington has done.

Disagree on Hurdle. I would much rather have Hurdle at the helm than what I saw of Shelton
With the current club, Clint might have just quit
PMike

Archer re-signs

Post by PMike »

797C7B7D757F667B7261676A130 wrote: If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky)

That's an excellent point. If that's what it took to get Huntington out the door then it was worth it.

I am not sure it was worth it, but get your point. NH definitely needed to go. But that trade has the early look of being one of the worst not only in Pirates history, but MLB history, esp. given the current fiscal place of MLB and the value of upper level prospects.
Ecbucs

Archer re-signs

Post by Ecbucs »

120F2B2927420 wrote: If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky)

That's an excellent point. If that's what it took to get Huntington out the door then it was worth it.

I am not sure it was worth it, but get your point.  NH definitely needed to go.  But that trade has the early look of being one of the worst not only in Pirates history, but MLB history, esp. given the current fiscal place of MLB and the value of upper level prospects.

The Pirates have made a lot of bad deals in their history. the Doc Medich deal was a awful, Jim Bunning deal, and Bert Blyleven and Sangy to the Indians for Gary Alexander, Victor Cruz, Bob Owchinko and Rafeal Vazquez. Alexander played the last 21 games of his major league career with the Bucs in 1981, Cruz pitched 34 innings for them.

The Pirates traded Owchinko to the A's for Ernie Camacho who pitched 21 innings for Bucs before being dealt along with Vance Law to White Sox for Ross Baumgarten, and for Vasquez it was a return to the Pirates (he was part of deal to get Enrique Romo) but his only major league appearance was with Seattle.