The #7 prospect for 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by steve49 »

626760666E647D60697A7C71080 wrote: P2 ranks Thomas #5 and Martin #15 in their pre-season rankings. 

Yes , but I believe P2 is Pirates Prospects which I do subscribe to. While I screamed bloody murder over the Archer trade , they thought it was a greatest thing since sliced bread . So like I said Martin is a better prospect ?

I am a member at Pirates Prospects as well and I don't remember anyone over there saying anything remotely like the Archer trade being the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Maybe there were one or two guys in comments posts, but certainly not the writers.

I've done a little research and found one article by Tim Williams written on August 20th, 2018. This one is not the one I'm remembering as that one had player values and much more detailing why this was good for the Pirates . The one by Tim that I found is much less detailed and was no where as supportive of the one I'm thinking off. Maybe ask Tim and he will remember as he probably is the author of the other article also ?

I'm coping and pasting a remark from the 8/20/2018 one I found...

But the trades to bring in Chris Archer and Keone Kela, while sending out a lot of young talent in the process, were the right moves.

steve49

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by steve49 »

626760666E647D60697A7C71080 wrote: P2 ranks Thomas #5 and Martin #15 in their pre-season rankings. 

Yes , but I believe P2 is Pirates Prospects which I do subscribe to. While I screamed bloody murder over the Archer trade , they thought it was a greatest thing since sliced bread . So like I said Martin is a better prospect ?

I am a member at Pirates Prospects as well and I don't remember anyone over there saying anything remotely like the Archer trade being the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Maybe there were one or two guys in comments posts, but certainly not the writers.

Here's another by Tim I found. I still think even another is around. Just click on the link ?

Here's the first few lines....

"August 1st, 2018 was probably the best day for most Pirates fans in the last three years. The team had just made a splash at the trade deadline, landing the top available pitcher, Chris Archer, and one of the top available relievers, Keone Kela.

"In return, the Pirates traded some good talent, but no one they would really miss. Tyler Glasnow, Austin Meadows, and Shane Baz went to the Rays in the Archer deal."

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2019/0 ... plash.html
DemDog

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by DemDog »

If we go back to posts around the trade deadline in 2018 I think you will find many of us here on OBN were glad for the move. Most felt that Glasnow was going to be a disappointment and the Meadows would just be a run of the mill MLB OFer rather than the All-Star he could be. Only the Kela trade was questioned because of Baz being so highly rated and Apostel being a decent prospect but at a position, we seemed to be deep at.

In hindsight, myself along with most posters here would take back these deals. But whose to say that Glasnow, Meadows, etc would have turned out how they did with the Bucs. The deal is done and its time to just look forward and hope that BC and company will avoid those type of deals in the future.
Ecbucs

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by Ecbucs »

57767E577C74130 wrote: If we go back to posts around the trade deadline in 2018 I think you will find many of us here on OBN were glad for the move.  Most felt that Glasnow was going to be a disappointment and the Meadows would just be a run of the mill MLB OFer rather than the All-Star he could be.  Only the Kela trade was questioned because of Baz being so highly rated and Apostel being a decent prospect but at a position, we seemed to be deep at. 

In hindsight, myself along with most posters here would take back these deals.  But whose to say that Glasnow, Meadows, etc would have turned out how they did with the Bucs.  The deal is done and its time to just look forward and hope that BC and company will avoid those type of deals in the future.

one correction here, Baz went to Rays and Hearn went to Rangers along with Apostel.
DemDog

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by DemDog »

446263746272010 wrote: If we go back to posts around the trade deadline in 2018 I think you will find many of us here on OBN were glad for the move.  Most felt that Glasnow was going to be a disappointment and the Meadows would just be a run of the mill MLB OFer rather than the All-Star he could be.  Only the Kela trade was questioned because of Baz being so highly rated and Apostel being a decent prospect but at a position, we seemed to be deep at. 

In hindsight, myself along with most posters here would take back these deals.  But whose to say that Glasnow, Meadows, etc would have turned out how they did with the Bucs.  The deal is done and its time to just look forward and hope that BC and company will avoid those type of deals in the future.

one correction here, Baz went to Rays and Hearn went to Rangers along with Apostel.

Yeh, I messed up. But I have an excuse! I'm bald and on Medicare! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
steve49

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by steve49 »

3530373139332A373E2D2B265F0 wrote: P2 ranks Thomas #5 and Martin #15 in their pre-season rankings. 

Hmmm ... after I prove my statement , you come back with crickets ?
johnfluharty

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by johnfluharty »

3037263526777A430 wrote: P2 ranks Thomas #5 and Martin #15 in their pre-season rankings. 

Sorry about the delay.  I don't spend a lot of time here any more and haven't had the chance to reply.  I did read through all your refences and it made me think, for sure.  I still don't see Tim's initial support for the trade as being equal to thinking it was the 'best thing since sliced bread', but other than that minor difference, I will say that I stand corrected.  It is very interesting to me to see that, in retrospect, he went from supporting the trade to saying it is the worst trade in Pirates history.  So in terms of the shifting opinion, you are right, just perhaps the emphasis was a little strong for me.  Thanks for taking the time to look all that up.  I do appreciate it.
Ecbucs

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by Ecbucs »

maybe we should do a thread on worst Pirate deals.

Two that turned out awful were Doc Medich and George Hendricks.

steve49

The #7 prospect for 2020

Post by steve49 »

4D484F49414B524F4655535E270 wrote: P2 ranks Thomas #5 and Martin #15 in their pre-season rankings. 

Sorry about the delay.  I don't spend a lot of time here any more and haven't had the chance to reply.  I did read through all your refences and it made me think, for sure.  I still don't see Tim's initial support for the trade as being equal to thinking it was the 'best thing since sliced bread', but other than that minor difference, I will say that I stand corrected.  It is very interesting to me to see that, in retrospect, he went from supporting the trade to saying it is the worst trade in Pirates history.  So in terms of the shifting opinion, you are right, just perhaps the emphasis was a little strong for me.  Thanks for taking the time to look all that up.  I do appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply and yes , the "best thing since sliced bread " was an exaggeration on my part. Also I was defending my Martin over Thomas thread with "tongue in cheek" as Possum mentioned Pirates Prospect rated Thomas higher. I do like reading your site and no-one can be 100% right all the time. I just hated that trade so much when it was announced . They when they disclosed the 3rd piece was Baz , it put me so far over the edge that I'm still incensed at the Pirates for making this deal. As I stated many times , they did this to appease the fan base . They wanted to put an appearance that they really were trying to win and stop the bleeding with the attendance loss.

Anyway thanks for the reply . Also may I ask your feeling on the Pirates now trading Marte and then maybe Bell ? Looks to me like it's the smart thing to do.