Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Do Free Agent Players Want To Play For The Pirates

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I think the more appropriate question is, "Do The Pirates Want Free Agents?"
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

In reading the Gonzalez article it is now clear to me that the Bucs believe that they do/did not need Galvis, Hechevaria, Iglesias or the like. They believe he has a great glove. If this is true, exactly how many good field light hitting shortstops do you need on the same team.

The trade allowed the Bucs to clear some roster space, and bring in a potential SS who is inexpensive. I sure hope that they are right in their assessment.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

466A62656E497E68780B0 wrote: In reading the Gonzalez article it is now clear to me that the Bucs believe that they do/did not need Galvis, Hechevaria, Iglesias or the like.   They believe he has a great glove.  If this is true, exactly how many good field light hitting shortstops do you need on the same team.

The trade allowed the Bucs to clear some roster space, and bring in a potential SS who is inexpensive.  I sure hope that they are right in their assessment.

I hope he isn’t another Ronnie Cedeno who was very erratic at shortstop.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

5F737B7C7750677161120 wrote: In reading the Gonzalez article it is now clear to me that the Bucs believe that they do/did not need Galvis, Hechevaria, Iglesias or the like.   They believe he has a great glove.  If this is true, exactly how many good field light hitting shortstops do you need on the same team.

The trade allowed the Bucs to clear some roster space, and bring in a potential SS who is inexpensive.  I sure hope that they are right in their assessment.

This off-season has been really typical of our off-seasons for the past few years. We go hard after what we want early, do nothing for months, and dumpster dive for deals come February (usually bench guys and relief pitchers).

I took how early that trade took place with the Indians that Gonzalez was the guy they wanted - not a trade for a bench piece. He's fairly young, he's controllable (which is always a key point with us) and he came through a good system. He's spent at least parts of three seasons in the majors. What does getting Galvis or Hech really accomplish? They are well-established with decent defensive reputations, but all-in-all, pretty ordinary.

I hope the assessment is right as well. They are putting a lot of faith in what their scouts have told them with this acquisition.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I think the situation at SS is not very appealing for guys looking to be starters. I hope that the FO and CH will make sure that Newman gets enough starts to have a real sense of what he will be as a MLer. I suspect we know, but still need to give the guy a chance. So, we're really talking about bringing in a guy that's willing to split the position. The guys we're talking about probably will settle for that but don't want to sign up for it. Tulo is an exception because he needs to prove himself and wants to be on a team with a real shot at the playoffs.

The same is true for next year. If Newman doesn't prove himself, and even if he does, Tucker may well be coming up with a need to see what he can do.
BenM

Post by BenM »

According to ESPN, Bryce Harper is going to talk with the P. . . . adres.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

785F54773A0 wrote: According to ESPN, Bryce Harper is going to talk with the P. . . . adres.

Makes some sense -- close to home in Vegas, becomes a generational face to the franchise, great weather and he can kick around in his flip-flops and shorts all the time, close to Vegas, did I mention it was close to his home and family in Vegas.

The money in these contracts is so ridiculous, just how rich is enough. Maybe there are other considerations that make the Padres a real option. Personally, I'd take a ton less than whatever Philly ever wanted to offer me to go to SD ... but I'll never be faced with that decision either (which emoji works best for that ;D? or :'(?)