Pirates broadcaster Steve Blass to retire at end of 2019

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I appreciate the stories about Blass. I enjoy his commentary and he just seems like such a good guy with a positive take on things. I will miss him in the booth.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Report today that Marty Brennaman is retiring too.
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

Timing was such that I got to spend some time with Steve Tuesday evening and Wednesday.

He is genuinely funny and has a great sense of comedic timing. He has always struck me as a guy you would like to meet at the tavern for a beer, because you knew it would be a great night.

One thing he mentioned during his announcement was how the fans reacted to his struggles in 73 and 74. He said when he was on the mound, and missing the zone, the fans were quiet. They didn't boo him or become frustrated, although you knew you they had to be.

I cannot see that happening anywhere...including Pittsburgh...these days. The boos would start in the 1st inning at Ball Two.

One might say he struggled at the right time and in the right place.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

At one of the fantasy camps, Steve showed up for the end of week banquet dressed in a very nice blue suit with a nice shirt and tie......until you saw him from the back. The back of the jacket, shirt and pants were completely cut away so that from the shoulders to the waist there was nothing but bare back and from the waist down there was nothing but his boxers, bare legs and socks. The pants legs were held together by a strap behind the knees so they wouldn't flare out. It was a riot. And throughout the night he never mentioned the suit and acted as if nothing was wrong. Dave Giusti's wife had done the alterations. The Blasses and Giustis are good friends.

Here's how I became the first person he pitched to after his career ended. Everyone was kidding around with him the entire week. Most campers had baseball cards of those Pirates to get autographed and were constantly approaching the Pirate alumni for that. I had been to an Oriole camp previously and they make a baseball card of the campers (as do the Pirates). So I took about 10 cards of me and autographed each one, "To Steve, best wishes, Bob." So when I approached him with a card he expected to see a Steve Blass card to autograph for me but instead I presented him with a card of me autographed to him. Nellie Briles was in on it with me so he teased Steve until he ripped my card up. So I went back to Steve and handed him an identical Bob card autographed to him. As fast he he could tear them up I was pulling another from my pocket until he gave up and accepted his autographed Bob card. Afterwards he vowed, "You're a dead man. I'm going to pitch to you tomorrow." Everyone teased him by telling me to stand on the plate because he couldn't throw it there. He wasn't going to pitch but when I came up to bat they stopped the game and he entered and pitched to me. The 1st pitch nearly hit me and I grounded out on the next one. Then he left the game. He said in his book that that was the first time he pitched since his career ended because he had always been afraid of hitting the batter. (Altho in his book I struck out. I guess that was dramatic license. :))
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: At one of the fantasy camps, Steve showed up for the end of week banquet dressed in a very nice blue suit with a nice shirt and tie......until you saw him from the back. The back of the jacket, shirt and pants were completely cut away so that from the shoulders to the waist there was nothing but bare back and from the waist down there was nothing but his boxers, bare legs and socks. The pants legs were held together by a strap behind the knees so they wouldn't flare out. It was a riot. And throughout the night he never mentioned the suit and acted as if nothing was wrong. Dave Giusti's wife had done the alterations. The Blasses and Giustis are good friends.

Here's how I became the first person he pitched to after his career ended. Everyone was kidding around with him the entire week. Most campers had baseball cards of those Pirates to get autographed and were constantly approaching the Pirate alumni for that. I had been to an Oriole camp previously and they make a baseball card of the campers (as do the Pirates). So I took about 10 cards of me and autographed each one, "To Steve, best wishes, Bob." So when I approached him with a card he expected to see a Steve Blass card to autograph for me but instead I presented him with a card of me autographed to him.  Nellie Briles was in on it with me so he teased Steve until he ripped my card up. So I went back to Steve and handed him an identical Bob card autographed to him. As fast he he could tear them up I was pulling another from my pocket until he gave up and accepted his autographed Bob card. Afterwards he vowed, "You're a dead man. I'm going to pitch to you tomorrow." Everyone teased him by telling me to stand on the plate because he couldn't throw it there. He wasn't going to pitch but when I came up to bat they stopped the game and he entered and pitched to me. The 1st pitch nearly hit me and I grounded out on the next one. Then he left the game. He said in his book that that was the first time he pitched since his career ended because he had always been afraid of hitting the batter. (Altho in his book I struck out. I guess that was dramatic license. :))

So now I need to beg you for an autographed "Bob" card and get you to autograph my copy of Steve's book right next to his!   ;D ;D ;D Oh guys, as old as I am I do not have an autographed "Honus" card. Sure wish I did though. Now that would make all you guys jealous of Possum.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

1E37382D2A1C203C35382A31590 wrote: Timing was such that I got to spend some time with Steve Tuesday evening and Wednesday.

He is genuinely funny and has a great sense of comedic timing.  He has always struck me as a guy you would like to meet at the tavern for a beer, because you knew it would be a great night. 

One thing he mentioned during his announcement was how the fans reacted to his struggles in 73 and 74.  He said when he was on the mound, and missing the zone, the fans were quiet.  They didn't boo him or become frustrated, although you knew you they had to be.

I cannot see that happening anywhere...including Pittsburgh...these days.  The boos would start in the 1st inning at Ball Two.

One might say he struggled at the right time and in the right place.

The fans were very supportive of Derek Bell during his struggles up till his 'operation shutdown' comment.