4 year deal with Rivero

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why would the Giants care about the Steelers?

I think this is a stretch. If the Steelers would have won, they wouldn't have traded McCutchen? They have to wait for bad news for the Steelers?

This Rivero deal is weird to me. What was he asking for in arbitration? I also assume there is a finance/contract team for the Pirates. Huntington didn't seem to know the details in his press conference and said it was still being worked on, but was happening.
SammyKhalifa

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If anything it pushed the Steelers out of the headlines.  People like to bitch about the Pirates much more than their beloved Futbahl team.  Nobody's talking about the game.

Rivero's 2 club options are hilarious.
Bobster21

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by Bobster21 »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Why would the Giants care about the Steelers? 

I think this is a stretch.  If the Steelers would have won, they wouldn't have traded McCutchen?  They have to wait for bad news for the Steelers?

This Rivero deal is weird to me.  What was he asking for in arbitration?  I also assume there is a finance/contract team for the Pirates.  Huntington didn't seem to know the details in his press conference and said it was still being worked on, but was happening. 
The Giants don't care. But last time I checked, it takes two to make a trade. The Pirates could have waited a day later to finalize the deal. But by the oddest of coincidences, they made it the day after the Steelers loss. Obviously, no matter when they announced trading Cutch, the city would be in an uproar. But it helps to have the city already focused on something else.
SammyKhalifa

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Why would the Giants care about the Steelers? 

I think this is a stretch.  If the Steelers would have won, they wouldn't have traded McCutchen?  They have to wait for bad news for the Steelers?

This Rivero deal is weird to me.  What was he asking for in arbitration?  I also assume there is a finance/contract team for the Pirates.  Huntington didn't seem to know the details in his press conference and said it was still being worked on, but was happening. 
The Giants don't care. But last time I checked, it takes two to make a trade. The Pirates could have waited a day later to finalize the deal. But by the oddest of coincidences, they made it the day after the Steelers loss. Obviously, no matter when they announced trading Cutch, the city would be in an uproar. But it helps to have the city already focused on something else. 

Come on, the timing was much more due to the Cole trade (which was in itself due timing after the Christmas/NY break) than anything else
BucAndEer

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by BucAndEer »

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but to me, the signing of this deal makes it even easier to trade Rivero.

The acquiring team gets the benefit of cost certainty for Rivero with his arb years bought out. As fungible as the Pirates have believed relievers to be over the years (Hanrahan/Grilli/Melancon/Watson), it makes zero sense to then lock one up with a long-term deal. Especially with this team around him. He's a Rolex watch on a Walmart wardrobe.

No coincidence that Cole was traded 2 days after he signed his deal for 2018. Trigger was pulled once the Astros knew how much they were going to have to pay him. Would not surprise me one bit to see Rivero go, too.
SammyKhalifa

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

685F496B444E6F4F582A0 wrote: Maybe I'm overly cynical, but to me, the signing of this deal makes it even easier to trade Rivero.

I don't know why you'd keep him.
Bobster21

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by Bobster21 »

556274567973527265170 wrote: Maybe I'm overly cynical, but to me, the signing of this deal makes it even easier to trade Rivero.

The acquiring team gets the benefit of cost certainty for Rivero with his arb years bought out. As fungible as the Pirates have believed relievers to be over the years (Hanrahan/Grilli/Melancon/Watson), it makes zero sense to then lock one up with a long-term deal. Especially with this team around him. He's a Rolex watch on a Walmart wardrobe.

No coincidence that Cole was traded 2 days after he signed his deal for 2018. Trigger was pulled once the Astros knew how much they were going to have to pay him. Would not surprise me one bit to see Rivero go, too.
Th Pirates signed Nate McLouth to a 3-year extension a few months before trading him to Atlanta.
mouse

4 year deal with Rivero

Post by mouse »

I had the same reaction to the Rivero extension. I would expect the trade to happen at the trade deadline, once they have a chance to see if any of the new guys can be satisfactory as closers.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4 year deal with Rivero

Addison Reed just signed for two years at $16 million.

Rivero will be rumored to be traded all year if he isn't traded this off season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4 year deal with Rivero

This just became official today. I thought this was a done deal a few days ago.

Rivero hired Boras, then fired Boras, then signed long term. Maybe Rivero didn't like Boras' advice?