State of the Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

State of the Season

Post by MaineBucs »

I have this sinking feeling that some folks within the Pirate organization may be thinking that when Hayes, Moran, and Evans return the line-up will suddenly be deeper and that we can crawl out of this current abyss and be a better team. While I believe that adding Hayes and Moran will help, and that Evans could clearly do more in RF than Polanco, the team and line-up will still come up short. Further, other players (like is happening on many teams), and perhaps even the better players like Frazier, Stallings or Reynolds, will come up ailing, and the line-up is basically remain where it is at today.

I desperately want to see a winner in Pittsburgh, and I am not all that up for watching games when I know the team isn't very good and that they are often going to lose. That said, I believe BC should start shopping his more desirable trading pieces now and see if someone may pay more because they get a decent to good player for longer. In a typical season, many teams seem to wait to the last minute to make a move, but with so many injuries this year that are hampering even the better teams, perhaps some teams would be open to making a move earlier. And, this could particularly be true for Pirate players because with the exception of Mr. Untradeable, Polanco, no one is making any money that would scare off most teams.

The two players I would particularly try shopping now to see what materializes are Frazier and Rodriguez, and I also would be floating Anderson out there. For example, with all of the injuries on the Mets,including McNeil and now Snydergard being out for longer, perhaps they would overpay to add Frazier. They have a minor league catcher, Alvarez, who is generally considered a top 50 prospect. Mets also appear to be in a win now mode. Would the Mets accept of package of Frazier and Anderson for Alvarez?

What would Rodriguez, who has generally been lights out and healthy, and who is cheap, command in a trade?

The Pirates have some nice prospects in the minors. The current team is going nowhere. It is time to add to the prospect base and hope that they, despite lousy ownership, can eventually lead this franchise out of its purgatory. The current team on the field will even be worse, but hey, I would rather have hope.
Bobster21

State of the Season

Post by Bobster21 »

Preseason predictions were pretty glum even before anyone got hurt. No doubt those guys will contribute to a few wins that wouldn't have happened without them,. But the overall weakness of the roster won't experience a turnaround with them returning. The biggest difference will likely be in run differential. Currently it is -82. The 30 losses have been lost by an average of 4.5 runs per game. The returning players should make the team a little better and reduce the run differential.
Ecbucs

State of the Season

Post by Ecbucs »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Preseason predictions were pretty glum even before anyone got hurt. No doubt those guys will contribute to a few wins that wouldn't have happened without them,. But the overall weakness of the roster won't experience a turnaround with them returning. The biggest difference will likely be in run differential. Currently it is -82. The 30 losses have been lost by an average of 4.5 runs per game. The returning players should make the team a little better and reduce the run differential. 

I expect the offense to get a little better, maybe average 4.0 a game, at least until Frazier is dealt. However, there is a good chance the pitching could get worse as season goes on. I don't see any help coming from pitchers in minors this season.
MaineBucs

State of the Season

Post by MaineBucs »

The Beatles popularized calling out Number 9, Number 9 ---

When it comes to evaluating Pirate starters, the refrain is Number 5, Number 5 ---.

Yajure looks like the best of the lot at AAA to have future success.

WildwoodDave2

State of the Season

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

49656D6A6146716777040 wrote: The Beatles popularized calling out Number 9, Number 9 ---

When it comes to evaluating Pirate starters, the refrain is Number 5, Number 5 ---.

Yajure looks like the best of the lot at AAA to have future success.

Colorado coming to town. Could be a battle for #1 pick- 2022
rucker59@gmail.com

State of the Season

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1F333B3C3710273121520 wrote: I have this sinking feeling that some folks within the Pirate organization may be thinking that when Hayes, Moran, and Evans return the line-up will suddenly be deeper and that we can crawl out of this current abyss and be a better team.   While I believe that adding Hayes and Moran will help, and that Evans could clearly do more in RF than Polanco, the team and line-up will still come up short.  Further, other players (like is happening on many teams), and perhaps even the better players like Frazier, Stallings or Reynolds, will come up ailing, and the line-up is basically remain where it is at today.

I desperately want to see a winner in Pittsburgh, and I am not all that up for watching games when I know the team isn't very good and that they are often going to lose.  That said, I believe BC should start shopping his more desirable trading pieces now and see if someone may pay more because they get a decent to good player for longer.  In a typical season, many teams seem to wait to the last minute to make a move, but with so many injuries this year that are hampering even the better teams, perhaps some teams would be open to making a move earlier.   And, this could particularly be true for Pirate players because with the exception of Mr. Untradeable, Polanco, no one is making any money that would scare off most teams.

The two players I would particularly try shopping now to see what materializes are Frazier and Rodriguez, and I also would be floating Anderson out there.  For example, with all of the injuries on the Mets,including McNeil and now Snydergard being out for longer, perhaps they would overpay to add Frazier.   They have a minor league catcher, Alvarez, who is generally considered a top 50 prospect.   Mets also appear to be in a win now mode.  Would the Mets accept of package of Frazier and Anderson for Alvarez?

What would Rodriguez, who has generally been lights out and healthy, and who is cheap, command in a trade?   

The Pirates have some nice prospects in the minors.  The current team is going nowhere.  It is time to add to the prospect base and hope that they, despite lousy ownership,  can eventually lead this franchise out of its purgatory.   The current team on the field will even be worse, but hey, I would rather have hope.

Add Moran to the trade list. He’s out preformed expectations and has no long term with the Pirates.
shedman

State of the Season

Post by shedman »

052921262D0A3D2B3B480 wrote: I have this sinking feeling that some folks within the Pirate organization may be thinking that when Hayes, Moran, and Evans return the line-up will suddenly be deeper and that we can crawl out of this current abyss and be a better team.   While I believe that adding Hayes and Moran will help, and that Evans could clearly do more in RF than Polanco, the team and line-up will still come up short.  Further, other players (like is happening on many teams), and perhaps even the better players like Frazier, Stallings or Reynolds, will come up ailing, and the line-up is basically remain where it is at today.

I desperately want to see a winner in Pittsburgh, and I am not all that up for watching games when I know the team isn't very good and that they are often going to lose.  That said, I believe BC should start shopping his more desirable trading pieces now and see if someone may pay more because they get a decent to good player for longer.  In a typical season, many teams seem to wait to the last minute to make a move, but with so many injuries this year that are hampering even the better teams, perhaps some teams would be open to making a move earlier.   And, this could particularly be true for Pirate players because with the exception of Mr. Untradeable, Polanco, no one is making any money that would scare off most teams.

The two players I would particularly try shopping now to see what materializes are Frazier and Rodriguez, and I also would be floating Anderson out there.  For example, with all of the injuries on the Mets,including McNeil and now Snydergard being out for longer, perhaps they would overpay to add Frazier.   They have a minor league catcher, Alvarez, who is generally considered a top 50 prospect.   Mets also appear to be in a win now mode.  Would the Mets accept of package of Frazier and Anderson for Alvarez?

The Pirates have some nice prospects in the minors.  The current team is going nowhere.  It is time to add to the prospect base and hope that they, despite lousy ownership,  can eventually lead this franchise out of its purgatory.   The current team on the field will even be worse, but hey, I would rather have hope.
________

I desperately want to see the Pirates be a winning club too, but I don't believe that the way to get there is to keep kicking the can down the road into a perpetual rebuild for a future that never arrives in Pittsburgh. We are the only team in the Division who has never won a Division Championship since the Division structure was created. For the past 20 years, the formula has been the same. Salary dump any major league player on your roster for suspects and kick the can down the road.

It is time to try something different. Instead of dumping Frazier, Rodriguez, and Moran, we should keep them and add some more Major League players to the roster. I would start by cutting bait on Polanco and replacing him with Yasiel Puig. Then find some sapp of a GM who would trade us their Major League ballplayers for our suspects playing in A ball. Stop giving away pitchers like Musgrove and Trevor Williams and instead pickup pitchers like that from some greedy owner who wants ti dump salary to enrich himself.
Bobster21

State of the Season

Post by Bobster21 »

554E43424B4748260 wrote: I have this sinking feeling that some folks within the Pirate organization may be thinking that when Hayes, Moran, and Evans return the line-up will suddenly be deeper and that we can crawl out of this current abyss and be a better team.   While I believe that adding Hayes and Moran will help, and that Evans could clearly do more in RF than Polanco, the team and line-up will still come up short.  Further, other players (like is happening on many teams), and perhaps even the better players like Frazier, Stallings or Reynolds, will come up ailing, and the line-up is basically remain where it is at today.

________

I desperately want to see the Pirates be a winning club too, but I don't believe that the way to get there is to keep kicking the can down the road into a perpetual rebuild for a future that never arrives in Pittsburgh.  We are the only team in the Division who has never won a Division Championship since the Division structure was created.  For the past 20 years, the formula has been the same.  Salary dump any major league player on your roster for suspects and kick the can down the road.

It is time to try something different.  Instead of dumping Frazier, Rodriguez, and Moran, we should keep them and add some more Major League players to the roster.  I would start by cutting bait on Polanco and replacing him with Yasiel Puig. Then find some sapp of a GM who would trade us their Major League ballplayers for our suspects playing in A ball.  Stop giving away pitchers like Musgrove and Trevor Williams and instead pickup pitchers like that from some greedy owner who wants ti dump salary to enrich himself.
Some of that I can agree with. They can't continue to look at every useful player on the roster as trade bait for more prospects. At some point they have to decide who can be kept to be productive veterans as talent from the minors makes it to the MLB roster. I would be in favor of extending Frazier, Rodriguez and Moran for several years if they believe they will be competitive by then with talent BC has added to the system since he arrived. And altho I would not want Puig, they need to look at other possible veteran additions to fill holes as needed. Not every prospect is going to pan out and they have to be willing to pay to adequately fill remaining holes. That doesn't mean becoming a top MLB spender. It only requires them to cease refusing to spend at all.
GreenWeenie

State of the Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

WARNING!  My PC has caught a virus, and it's under attack by some miscreants.  Right now, it's making up posts that say that we shouldn't be dumping guys anymore.  Please make sure that you're running AVS, and make sure that it's updated on a regular basis.  Regards.  ;)))))
bucs607179

State of the Season

Post by bucs607179 »

Don't know why anyone can complain about the BUCS, we were front page sport news plus national news just the other day. ;)