Less Than 3 Hours To Decide Options

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

By midnight the Bucs should decide on the options for Marte and Archer. I am surprised nothing has been announced yet. With all the changing of the guard, I hope this didn’t slip their mind.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: By midnight the Bucs should decide on the options for Marte and Archer. I am surprised nothing has been announced yet. With all the changing of the guard, I hope this didn’t slip their mind.
I don't think there's any doubt that they pick up those options. It could be that they've already done so but neglected to announce it due to all the changes.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I read somewhere yesterday that they'd already picked up Mare's option, but I can't remember where I read it.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am a little surprised they have not issued a press release on these player options. As of now we can assume they picked up the Marte, and Archer options, but it would be a surprise if somehow we heard they did not pick up the Archer option. Sometimes the Pirates “ close to the vest “ attitude is a little ridiculous.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I just wonder if Nutting considers this at all when he talks of communicating better. They don't keep this from other teams with this cloak of secrecy, only their own fans.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Spotrac, the sports contract site, lists the Pirates as having exercised their option on Marte today.

There is no mention of Archer.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

694E45662B0 wrote: Spotrac, the sports contract site, lists the Pirates as having exercised their option on Marte today.

That is interesting if they did not exercise the Archer option. That would really make that trade one of the worsts in team history, by just releasing Archer.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: Spotrac, the sports contract site, lists the Pirates as having exercised their option on Marte today.

That is interesting if they did not exercise the Archer option. That would really make that trade one of the worsts in team history, by just releasing Archer.

and they could use the money that would have gone to Archer to bring Ivan Nova back.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm sure they exercised the option. They just haven't bothered to mention it. They wouldn't just let him walk. Someone on a trade would give them something for him. I suspect this is all part of Nutting's new transparency move.
BenM

Post by BenM »

0D0F151305600 wrote: I'm sure they exercised the option. They just haven't bothered to mention it. They wouldn't just let him walk. Someone on a trade would give them something for him. I suspect this is all part of Nutting's new transparency move.

The team has to notify MLB (and Archer) if they exercise the option. They can't do it secretly.

I think they probably did, but the more time that passes after the deadline, the more I wonder.