Dickerson injured, could miss a month, J. Martin called up

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

From DK:

Pirates Gold Glove left fielder Corey Dickerson is expected to miss approximately a month because of a strained right shoulder, multiple sources told DKPittsburghSports.com on Thursday.

Dickerson is expected to be placed on the injured list prior to tonight’s game with the Reds at PNC Park. The Pirates are expected to recall Jason Martin from Triple-A Indianapolis to take Dickerson’s roster spots.

That would give the Pirates three outfielders on the IL.

Gregory Polanco is in extended spring training in Bradenton, Fla., while he continues to rehab from shoulder surgery. Lonnie Chisenhall, who was expected to replace Polanco as the starting right fielder, sustained a broken right hand while hit by a pitch three days before the opener.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Not good news at especially with Polanco out at least another month still and not a lot of outfield depth to begin with. The Pirates are gonna have to play Jason Martin now it looks like a bunch. You can’t be starting garbage like JB Shuck or Reyes everyday. The Pirates might need to seriously consider with Dickerson out now moving Bell to RF and playing Moran at 1st. I know they probably won’t do it but at this point you definitely need to seriously consider it.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Situations like these is the reason the Pirates should sign better veteran players during the offseason to strengthen their bench. Reyes, Martin, Shuck, Newman and Stallings is a very young and weak bench.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yep they definitely should sign better veteran free agents and not Minor League garbage free agents nobody wants like Shuck. There is no way the Pirates can justify playing a guy like Shuck everyday in the outfield while Dickerson is out. Martin needs to play everyday or move Bell to right and play Moran at 1st those are your two best options period.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2A26277C757C74797E617B4C0 wrote: Situations like these is the reason the Pirates should sign better veteran players during the offseason to strengthen their bench. Reyes, Martin, Shuck, Newman and Stallings is a very young and weak bench.

To be fair isn't that what they did when they got Melky and Chisenhall?  How many veteran outfielders should they have signed?

Polanco, Marte, Dickerson, Lonnie, Melky, even if 1-2 of them are injured/have "injury history" seems like they did a lot to cover their bases. Those are all "Veteran Outfielders" but just about anyone's standards.

MI is a different story in my mind but blaming them for outfield depth sounds like monday morning quarterbacking to me.   
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

497B77776351727B76737C7B1A0 wrote: Situations like these is the reason the Pirates should sign better veteran players during the offseason to strengthen their bench. Reyes, Martin, Shuck, Newman and Stallings is a very young and weak bench.

To be fair isn't that what they did when they got Melky and Chisenhall?  How many veteran outfielders should they have signed?

Polanco, Marte, Dickerson, Lonnie, Melky, even if 1-2 of them are injured/have "injury history" seems like they did a lot to cover their bases. Those are all "Veteran Outfielders" but just about anyone's standards. 

MI is a different story in my mind but blaming them for outfield depth sounds like monday morning quarterbacking to me.   
Yea but the reality of it now is that JB freakin Shuck and Pablo Reyes are both gonna start a lot now with Dickerson out and we are gonna have to sit here and listen to both Clint and Neal try to justify that and it’s gonna be insufferable to listen too. I’m sorry that’s not good enough when you have better options you can currently do on the roster now if you either play Martin everyday in Left, or move Bell to RF, play Melky and Martin in Left and play Moran at 1st. That makes the most sense there and of course the Pirates won’t even consider it for one single second.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm pretty sure Martin will play plenty. They're already replacing Melky defensively because they don't really like his D these days.

The Chisenhall injury happened literally the day before the season started, and was not because of something they could foresee or because of his "injury prone" history. It was an accident that could have happened to anyone. I remember a few years ago when they went into the season with literally two real outfielders, and they knew that and they should have done something. I just don't think this is the case this year.

Now starting pitcher? Absolutely they should have gotten someone.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

If you want a few names of Outfield free agents that would look better then guys like Melky, Shuck and even Chisenhall how about Hunter Pence who is hitting .400 with the Rangers and signed a Minor League deal, or a guys like Carlos Gonzalez who signed with Cleveland or Dietrich from

The Marlins who sighed with the Reds. Gonzalez would have costs a bit more but he definitely was not out of the Pirates price range. These are a few names they should have went after not Melky or Shuck
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

But you're cherry-picking from the entire league, and Hunter Pence had played 9 innings in the outfield.  He IS hitting .400, but another way of saying that is that he's 4 for ten with two chances in the outfield over the course of six games for the Rangers. I'm sure that's about how much the management would have preferred Melky to have played at this point too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Reyes only has 7 PA in 4 games. Last year he played fairly regularly in September, had 63 PAs, hit .293 with 3 HRs in 58 ABs and made some good plays in the OF. I think the Pirates felt he was part of their OF depth this year and he hasn't had an opportunity to prove them wrong. I'm ok if they give him a lot of PT with Dickerson and Polanco both out. If he doesn't do the job, then give more time to Martin and Shuck but Reyes looked like he could be a good fill-in when he got a chance last year.