Arizona game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Arizona game

Post by JollyRoger »

I hope all the good folks who live in Pittsburgh went to bed and did not watch this disaster. It doesn’t matter who Hurdle brings in from the bullpen; no lead is too safe. Musgrove cruising with a 5-0 lead only to see the BP give up 5 in the 7th and give away the lead in the 8th. Santana sucked, Crick blew chunks, and the Lithuanian put icing on the cake.

As bad as the bullpen is; Bell is even worse at 1B. Definitely the slowest and most defensively challenged First Baseman in the league.

As I type this the 3rd wild pitch in the inning scores another run. It is now 9-5 and I can’t watch any more!

Disgusting!
skinnyhorse

Arizona game

Post by skinnyhorse »

This team needs to start with new leadership.  It is hapless and hopeless, right now, no one takes responsibility for what's going on, just excuses and pretense that everything is fine.  Nothing is fine about this sorry mess. If Huntington doesn't fire Hurdle then they both have to go right now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Arizona game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

We also know why Diaz isn't a starting catcher. He makes so many mental errors and yeah they were wild pitches but I thought he could block some of them.

Bad lead to blow. Musgrove could have stayed in longer in my opinion. Not sure if it would have mattered, he wasn't going all nine innings.

Biggest lead they have given up all year.
rucker59@gmail.com

Arizona game

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I am literally stunned. The bullpen AGAIN!

What a complete mess.

I’m sitting here trying to put words to this, and I can’t even comprehend what’s going on right before our eyes.

They may not win another game this year. The fans....we don’t deserve this. Nutting’s Problems just got a lot deeper...
Bobster21

Arizona game

Post by Bobster21 »

7F676562627564637E7F690C0 wrote: This team needs to start with new leadership.  It is hapless and hopeless, right now, no one takes responsibility for what's going on, just excuses and pretense that everything is fine.  Nothing is fine about this sorry mess.  If Huntington doesn't fire Hurdle then they both have to go right now.
The organization knew what they had in Hurdle and NH when both were extended 4 years. An organization that's committed to winning wouldn't put up with their incompetence. But obviously it's good enough for Nutting's purposes. :(
dmetz

Arizona game

Post by dmetz »

I could have SWORN I was told repeatedly that Diaz was a very good defensive catcher?

I guess the bloggers were right at the time and Diaz just forgot how to play defense when called up.
SteadyFreddy

Arizona game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Another devastating loss that should have easily been a win. Like I mentioned yesterday a bunch of times this team I feel is basically done and has no chance of being above .500 for the rest of the year. I expect them to be buried in the standings by the end of June as they are already close to being so right now.
Osushawn

Arizona game

Post by Osushawn »

Getting tired of "manning up" during a game to by drilling a batter after our's gets hit. Wait until after the game and go punch someone in the face. Win the damn game first and then defend your team.
rucker59@gmail.com

Arizona game

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Not holding a 1 or 2 run lead is a killer. Not holding 3 or more run leads is an organizational embarrassment.

We all know baseball is a game of endurance; everything has to be earned through the reality of games played daily for six months. It is hard to fool or hide from time.

I truly hate that this is true, but it is the harsh reality of this great game: Time is proving that the Pirate’s run of 2013-2015 was lightening in a bottle, luck. It was not the result of a sustainable plan that can be “turned over” every few years. Everything that looked like genius in 2015 looks like incompetence in 2018.

Remember when Neal could pick out the undervalued rebound? Ray was the “Doctor”? Clint was a players manager that guided the clubhouse into a sanctuary of clam and confidence? The BMT ever assembled was undeniably pretty darn good?

None of that is true. The 2013-1015 teams were good. But it was lightening in a bottle. It was not the result of a sustainable or repeatable planning process. 162 game schedules sort out the pretenders Each season. 100+ years of history sorts out the pretenders over a generation.

Neal is no closer to building a sustainable winner than Dave Littlefield was. Neal caught lightening, but can’t catch it again. I certainly like Neal’s plan better, but there is no magic: baseball is built upon steady superior performance. That comes from the better players. The better players are strategically supplemented with better role players.

For every AJ Happ the Pirates uncover, there is going to be a steady stream of middling millionaires providing, ultimately, a middlingly team. And when the Pirates do uncover AJ Happ, but let him walk after 3 months, a player that could represent a “better player, with steady performances” and replace him yet another project....there is no chance.

2016 represents reality crashing in: building teams around names like Neace and Vogelsong is not a plan at all; it does not build a sustainable winner. No one can build a sustainable plan playing craps. Neal got a lucky on a couple throws of the dice, but the House ALWAYS wins....

I’ve held on to the belief that 2018 was going to be a good, competitive team. I was wrong. It could only work if Neal was a genius and Ray was indeed The Doctor and Clint was Magic. None of these guys are better than their reality: a middling team is bound, ultimately, to playing middling baseball. That’s all there is here. I was wrong this year. I was right in 2016 as I railed against broken trust and broken promises. But I was wrong this year.

Wholesale changes must be made. Neal’s plan, sadly, won’t work. Playing craps is not a plan.
Quail

Arizona game

Post by Quail »

Another nice outing by Mosgrove. I really like his mound presence and the way he's stepped up to protect his teammates. Hopefully the other young pitchers are taking notes.

Just read this morning that Mosgrove has recently incorporated a slider into his repertoire that Chad Kuhl taught him. Coincidentally, the slider Taillon is now using was also taught to him by Kuhl. So what exactly are we paying Searage for?

And then there's the bullpen. Or should I say where's the bullpen. It's one giant hot mess.