Looking Ahead To The 40 Man Winter Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Around November 20th each year teams have to set a roster to add players in order to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Currently the Pirates have several players like Taillion, Burdi, and Evans on the IL which will need to be added to the 40 man roster by November along with a few minor league players. In my opinion the following 7 players could be released to bring the roster to 40 without adding any minor league players. Archer, Murphy, Neverauskas, Riddle, Holland, Kela, and Rios. Let’s assume the Bucs add 4 minor league players to protect from the Rule 5 draft and it becomes a little more difficult to determine which players may get released. The 4 players could be Osuna, Kramer, Tropeano,and Bashlor. Before the November date the Bucs could make a 2 player for 1 player trade which would open a spot on the roster. It is going to be an interesting offseason for the Pirates.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

707C7D262F262E23243B21160 wrote: Around November 20th each year teams have to set a roster to add players in order to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Currently the Pirates have several players like Taillion, Burdi, and Evans on the IL which will need to be added to the 40 man roster by November  along with a few minor league players. In my opinion the following 7 players could be released to bring the roster to 40 without adding any minor league players. Archer, Murphy, Neverauskas, Riddle, Holland, Kela, and Rios. Let’s assume the Bucs add 4 minor league players to protect from the Rule 5 draft and it becomes a little more difficult to determine which players may get released. The 4 players could be Osuna, Kramer, Tropeano,and Bashlor. Before the November date the Bucs could make a 2 player for 1 player trade which would open a spot on the roster. It is going to be an interesting offseason for the Pirates.

I am likewise always interested in who we'll keep and who we'll cast off, fjk.

Position players I let go are Maile and Riddle. Then I give up on 8 pitchers, in alphabetical order:

Archer

bashlor

Feliz

Holland

Kela

Neverauskas

Rios

Waddell

Of course the Bucs will also try to peddle their higher priced talent, but who's willing to take a flyer on Polanco?

Damn shame about Evans and Alford. Hope they can recapture their 2020 performances next season.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4F656E5E697F7F731C0 wrote: Around November 20th each year teams have to set a roster to add players in order to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Currently the Pirates have several players like Taillion, Burdi, and Evans on the IL which will need to be added to the 40 man roster by November  along with a few minor league players. In my opinion the following 7 players could be released to bring the roster to 40 without adding any minor league players. Archer, Murphy, Neverauskas, Riddle, Holland, Kela, and Rios. Let’s assume the Bucs add 4 minor league players to protect from the Rule 5 draft and it becomes a little more difficult to determine which players may get released. The 4 players could be Osuna, Kramer, Tropeano,and Bashlor. Before the November date the Bucs could make a 2 player for 1 player trade which would open a spot on the roster. It is going to be an interesting offseason for the Pirates.

I am likewise always interested in who we'll keep and who we'll cast off, fjk.

Position players I let go are Maile and Riddle. Then I give up on 8 pitchers, in alphabetical order:

Archer

bashlor

Feliz

Holland

Kela

Neverauskas

Rios

Waddell

Of course the Bucs will also try to peddle their higher priced talent, but who's willing to take a flyer on Polanco?

Damn shame about Evans and Alford. Hope they can recapture their 2020 performances next season.
I agree with you about Evans and Alford. I expect both to join the Club out of ST in 2021, and play important roles on the team.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Any word on Alford's recovery time? I'm wondering if he won't even be available at the beginning of the year.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

A few other thoughts.

I would not keep Crick on the roster. No control.

And, if roster spots become a problem, I would move on from Burdi. Burdi has flashed some talent, but he unfortunately has not been able to avoid devastating injuries.

Based on their anemic performances this year, I doubt that Ben will experience any real success in moving Bell or Polanco. Perhaps if Frazier keeps hitting someone will show some interest, and if Rodriguez continues to get folks out, he too could draw some suitors.

Looking forward, two other issues that MLB will need to address before too long are:

1) What happens if COVID is still running amok come February of next year? The recent projections of 400,000 deaths by the 1st of the year should be causing baseball to examine (now) where it will be at for next year, including what they are going to do about minor league ball.

2) Does the DH in the NL survive? A scary thought --- we have witnessed Shelton's management under the current rules. Shudder to think if his first season would have been under traditional NL rules. Double-switches, pinch-hitters, et al, a true field day for someone who likes to over-manage.

Also, hard to analyze talent to draft when players are not playing regularly. Not a major concern if COVID does not linger, but COVID has now actively been on the American scene for 6+ months, and has yet to show signs that it is going to be abated soon.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2D212825326E34292D2F342839727000272D400 wrote: Any word on Alford's recovery time? I'm wondering if he won't even be available at the beginning of the year.
I thought I heard yesterday that they expected him to be ready for ST in 2021. I am hoping he will be because I liked what I saw of him in the few games that he played. He definitely will be at least the #4 outfielder in 2021.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the waiver claim of Carson Fulmer today, and the addition of Jared Oliva the Pirates have 50 players listed on their 40 man roster. As I noted in a previous post there are some players such as Holland, Murphy and Kela which are free agents that will come off the roster at seasons end. Between the end of the season Sunday, and the date in November when the winter roster needs set will be an interesting period.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just looking at the Pirates roster, and here is a list of players I don’t think will be with the team next season.

Archer

Bashlor

Crick

Feliz

Holland

Neverauskas

Rios

Murphy

Frazier

Gonzo

Moran

Osuna

Riddle

Kuhl or Musgrove
shedman

Post by shedman »

Archer - Replaced with a LMG

Bashlor

Crick- Replaced with a LMG

Feliz- Replaced with a LMG

Holland- Replaced with a LMG

Neverauskas

Rios

Murphy

Frazier- Replaced with a LMG

Gonzo

Moran- Replaced with a LMG

Osuna

Riddle

Kuhl or Musgrove - Replaced with a LMG
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ben might have to put in some time to do all that.