Post by JollyRoger »

Currently:

10 IP

5 hits

2 runs

3 BB

17Ks

Who is he?

If you guessed Tyler Glasnow you are right.

Those are his stats with TB so far through 3 inning today

We probably had our Ace all along.

Time will tell
JollyRoger

Stats

Post by JollyRoger »

Update:

Through 5 innings today

Total with TB

12 IP

6 Hits

2 Runs

3 BB

20 Ks
dmetz

Stats

Post by dmetz »

Dominant numbers. He never had a stretch of that many innings here with those results, and they're the first innings he has in Tampa?

Hope he keeps it going and Searage is finally replaced.
JollyRoger

Stats

Post by JollyRoger »

If Glasnow turns into the next J.R. Richard and given the success of Morton and Cole with the Astros; then the Bucs need to look long and hard at the coaching and talent evaluators.

I know this is a small sampling from Glasnow; but giving up on 3 arguably aces that could be starring for the Bucs is not acceptable
Wrathchild

Stats

Post by Wrathchild »

I remarked on this board multiple times that Glasnow was pitching much better for the Pirates than his ERA suggested. It was clear to me than he was taking the brunt on poor infield defense more than most of our pitchers. I was disappointed he was traded. Therefore, I don’t think this start in Tampa says a lot about Searage, but it may be indicative of Glasnow having an overall better situation in Tampa.
Bobster21

Stats

Post by Bobster21 »

The pitching coach in TB is 6'8" which might give him an edge in helping Glasnow.
PMike

Stats

Post by PMike »

3B323A2B255F0 wrote: Dominant numbers.  He never had a stretch of that many innings here with those results, and they're the first innings he has in Tampa?

I don't think it is Searage's fault that Glasnow goes there and immediately is successful. I mean, if the coaching there had a chance to work with him and then he improved, that would be one thing. TB has even admitted that they weren't messing with him until they had a chance to watch him pitch a little bit. He just simply went to a new setting and has been dominant. How is that Searage's fault?
dmetz

Stats

Post by dmetz »

It's not worth arguing about over a 12 inning sample.   However they are the best consecutive 12 innings of his career!  I figure that's probable worth an eyebrow raise since they're the first 12 in a new organization.

As a general point of conversation what WOULD constitute grounds for changing the pitching coach?

"Uncle Ray" sure did get all the accolades with Burnett, Lirano, Vasquez, even Happ.  How does he get credit for Happ, who spent a hiccup of time here and avoid criticism if Glasnow becomes an ace right away?

Let's say Glasnow falls to pieces again, and then over the course of a season puts it all together and ends up TOR starter.   Since his success wasn't immediate, how about then?

How do you all know for sure it wasn't Jim Benedict the whole time, and not Searage at all? The results certainly point to that as a possibility
Ecbucs

Stats

Post by Ecbucs »

0B1632303E5B0 wrote: Dominant numbers.  He never had a stretch of that many innings here with those results, and they're the first innings he has in Tampa?

I don't think it is Searage's fault that Glasnow goes there and immediately is successful.  I mean, if the coaching there had a chance to work with him and then he improved, that would be one thing.  TB has even admitted that they weren't messing with him until they had a chance to watch him pitch a little bit.  He just simply went to a new setting and has been dominant.  How is that Searage's fault?

I don't blame Searage either. Maybe Glasnow needed a change to feel comfortable out there (not to say that it couldn't have happened some time in Pittsburgh as he has shown flashes). If Glasnow does turn into a great pitcher for Rays though it brings into question the Bucs ability to identify and develop talent.

Last game Archer was ill, if he can turn into a top starter then it was worth dealing for him. If the Bucs have not evaluated Archer correctly then that is a problem.
dmetz

Stats

Post by dmetz »

706D494B45200 wrote: Dominant numbers.  He never had a stretch of that many innings here with those results, and they're the first innings he has in Tampa?

I don't think it is Searage's fault that Glasnow goes there and immediately is successful.  I mean, if the coaching there had a chance to work with him and then he improved, that would be one thing.  TB has even admitted that they weren't messing with him until they had a chance to watch him pitch a little bit.  He just simply went to a new setting and has been dominant.  How is that Searage's fault?

He already said he's been told to pitch differently. Changing eye levels . https://www.draysbay.com/2018/8/7/17653 ... can-change