Do Free Agent Players Want To Play For The Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We just heard that Freddie Galvis has signed with the Blue Jays for 5 million dollars. In baseball money that is not a very large amount. There were some rumors several weeks ago that the Pirates had an interest in Galvis, but a deal did not materialize. Earlier this month many of us thought the Bucs would be a perfect fit for Tulo, but he signed with the Yankees. We will never know the discussions the Pirates FO has with free agent players and their agents, but possibly the players are turned off with Pirate Management. The Pirates can have the best ballpark and quality facilities, but possibly when talking to current and former Pirate players they may discover it is not a franchise in which one wants to be a part of.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

this is your response to Galvis essentially taking a veteran minimum deal? There is basically no upside to either Galvis, Iglesias or Hechevaria. So they might as well wait till one caves to whatever contract the Pirates are offering to be a stop-gap in 2019.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think that plays a big part. Certainly Nutting has a reputation as a miser who ties the hands of his GM by an unwillingness to spend even average amounts. That eliminates every free agent seeking top dollar. But even those receiving moderate contracts tend to get them from other teams unless it's someone looking for a chance to resurrect his career (i.e., reclamation project pitchers or someone like Chisenhall trying to come back from injuries). Players are naturally very competitive and if given a choice of significant playing time on a team committed to winning vs one that isn't, usually prefer the situation that looks best.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6A5749444B414A684057464041250 wrote: this is your response to Galvis essentially taking a veteran minimum deal? There is basically no upside to either Galvis, Iglesias or Hechevaria. So they might as well wait till one caves to whatever contract the Pirates are offering to be a stop-gap in 2019.
To me the five million which Galvis took appears that he has caved. Five million to us is a lot of money, but to a veteran baseball player that is not very much. If the Pirates want to have a stopgap shortstop this season, I don’t believe they will get one for very much less than what Galvis received. They could get Hechavarria for maybe three million, but I doubt much less.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I suspect they were offering $2MM for a one year deal.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Given the free agent market the last two years, I don't think any players not named Machado or Harper can be too picky.

Based on what management has said, I just think that the team is not in the market for free agents.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

I would assume that a very large portion of the 25 man roster do not want to be here.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ah, but you can't say that about Erik Gonzalezs -- https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/1/29/18 ... re-is-back
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Sad indeed that the front office is so concerned about $$ instead of putting the best team on the field. Granted overpaying is ridiculous and never does the team get the total value for their big investment. I agree with Bobster, the Pirate Front Office has set a precedent and players are more eager to go to other teams than to ply their trade with the penny pinching Nutting and Company. The Bucs better work to develop their talent through scouting and player development because under this ownership group, even a fringe benefit is out of the picture...Beat'em Bucs :(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3E3C262036530 wrote: Ah, but you can't say that about Erik Gonzalezs --  https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/1/29/18 ... re-is-back
Nice article. Gonzalez was traded so it wasn't his choice to be a Pirate. But he's exactly the type of player whose preference is to go somewhere where he has a chance to play instead of sitting on the bench. Similarly, Chisenhall signed as a FA because he could start at least part of the season. I doubt he would have the opportunity elsewhere. We see it as dumpster diving because the Pirates focus on such players rather than established, productive players who come with higher salaries. But it's good for players like that who are looking for a chance to play.