Kevin Pillar Non Tendered By Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If the Bucs would trade Marte, Pillar might be a player they would want to sign to play centerfield.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Likely a bit too costly for a team that has a limited horizon next year like the Bucs. If it takes $4 - $5 mil to sign Pillar, that (should be) is too steep for the Pirates.

My main concern with Pillar's release is that his availability may result in eliminating a team that could have interest in trading for Marte.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

this is from MLB Trade Rumors story on Pillar, I can't see the Pirates wanting him, offense is bad, defense is slipping.

Frankly, it’s not surprising to see the Giants pass at that price. Pillar is a gritty performer who still makes his share of highlight-reel plays and has good pop for an up-the-middle player. But advanced analysis suggests he has lost a step in the field and he continues to turn in cringeworthy on-base numbers.

[highlight]Last season, Pillar slashed just .259/.287/.432 (85 wRC+). That marked his fourth consecutive season of offensive performance more than ten percent below league average. When Pillar was an elite defender in center, that perhaps would have sufficed, even at a relatively lofty price point. However, he’s rated as a mere average center fielder the past two season, combining for -7 defensive runs saved [/highlight]and +2 runs per Ultimate Zone Rating. Statcast, meanwhile, pegged him as a 51st percentile outfielder in 2019. Combined with his lackluster bat, that defensive downturn proved too much for the Giants.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

The Cubs non-tendered Addison Russell. Not sure I want him with his baggage and I don't know how much he would cost but he is a talented player.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E666572646468070 wrote: The Cubs non-tendered Addison Russell.  Not sure I want him with his baggage and I don't know how much he would cost but he is a talented player. 

Yeah, I hope he never sees the diamond again though . . .
BenM

Post by BenM »

71434F4F5B694A434E4B4443220 wrote: The Cubs non-tendered Addison Russell.  Not sure I want him with his baggage and I don't know how much he would cost but he is a talented player. 

Yeah, I hope he never sees the diamond again though . . .

After Vazquez, I doubt the franchise will even look in his direction.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

There are some names I'd consider kicking the tires on

Blake Treinen

Domingo Santana - good bat, lousy OF

CJ Cron

Junior Guerra

Maikel Franco

Cesar Hernandez

Souza - I realize he missed 2019, but he was pretty darn good in Tampa before being traded. Plays hard

T. Walker - young reclamation project coming off injury

Travis Shaw - bad 2019, but could play 1st if Bell is dealt, or spell Moran at third

Gausman - as a RELIEVER
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7F6F6E594F4F432C0 wrote: There are some names I'd consider kicking the tires on

Blake Treinen

CJ Cron

Junior Guerra

Maikel Franco

Cesar Hernandez

Souza - I realize he missed 2019, but he was pretty darn good in Tampa before being traded.  Plays hard

Travis Shaw - bad 2019, but could play 1st if Bell is dealt, or spell Moran at third

Gausman - as a RELIEVER
Couple other pitchers I would kick the tires on would be Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

060A0B5059505855524D57600 wrote: There are some names I'd consider kicking the tires on

Blake Treinen

CJ Cron

Junior Guerra

Maikel Franco

Cesar Hernandez

Souza - I realize he missed 2019, but he was pretty darn good in Tampa before being traded.  Plays hard

Gausman - as a RELIEVER
Couple other pitchers I would kick the tires on would be Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha.

The guys above were non tendered. I wasn't talking about free agents.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

According to BC he is going to look for a center fielder now that Marte is gone. One of the names that have been rumored is Pillar who has a past relationship with Cherington. Pitchers and catchers report in about two weeks so I would expect a player to be acquired or signed before then.