5/1 Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

5/1 Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Glasnow's Not Ready for Prime Time inning:

Center cut 2-0 FB to Kendrick for single.

Ks Taylor on 3 pitches (great!) but seems to forget there's a runner at 1B who steals on slow delivery (not so great).

1-pitch grounder to 2B by Wieters (things are looking good).

Falls behind Scherzer 2-1 and gives up RBI-single (things are looking less good).

Falls behind Difo 3-1 before walking on 3-2 pitch.

Falls behind Harper 3-1 before walking on 3-2 pitch.

Falls behind Turner 3-1 and then yields 3-run double (things are looking awful).

Gives RBI-single to Adams on 0-2 pitch (awful just got worse).

Another cringe-worthy performance.

Season totals:

16.1 IP, 16 hits, 14 ER, 12 BBs, 23 Ks, 3 WP, 7.71 ERA, 1.714 WHIP.

Scored upon in 5 of 8 appearances. Still being used like a Rule 5 player in low leverage situations. Still unable to sustain any level of competence. 

Formerly touted as a future ace, we now breath a sigh of relief and celebrate any time he's not rocked. 
OrlandoMerced

5/1 Game Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I was a Kuhl backer for a long time, I am now ready to see him replaced by Musgrove. So now we need Kingham to stick.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/1 Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Glasnow's Not Ready for Prime Time inning:

Center cut 2-0 FB to Kendrick for single.

Ks Taylor on 3 pitches (great!) but seems to forget there's a runner at 1B who steals on slow delivery (not so great).

1-pitch grounder to 2B by Wieters (things are looking good).

Falls behind Scherzer 2-1 and gives up RBI-single (things are looking less good).

Falls behind Difo 3-1 before walking on 3-2 pitch.

Falls behind Harper 3-1 before walking on 3-2 pitch.

Falls behind Turner 3-1 and then yields 3-run double (things are looking awful).

Gives RBI-single to Adams on 0-2 pitch (awful just got worse).

Another cringe-worthy performance.

Season totals:

16.1 IP, 16 hits, 14 ER, 12 BBs, 23 Ks, 3 WP, 7.71 ERA, 1.714 WHIP.

Scored upon in 5 of 8 appearances. Still being used like a Rule 5 player in low leverage situations. Still unable to sustain any level of competence. 

Formerly touted as a future ace, we now breath a sigh of relief and celebrate any time he's not rocked. 

Incredibly disappointing.  He had worked his era into the 4s.  I’ve been a believer (more like a hoper) but He’s now in the total unrealible catagory.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/1 Game Thread

6D504E434C464D6F4750414746220 wrote: I was a Kuhl backer for a long time, I am now ready to see him replaced by Musgrove. So now we need Kingham to stick.

Bad week for Kuhl when Kingham is factored in!
MaineBucs

5/1 Game Thread

Post by MaineBucs »

Bobster

Great synopsis of Glasnow's meltdown when he was facing quite a few hitters that should have provided him an opportunity to work through an inning.

I have been encouraged by some of Glasnow's performances this year but last night surely is one which would try anyone's patience. He has now fallen from a # 1 or # 2 starter (top 20 ranking among all prospects in baseball) to someone who is sadly trending to a fungible reliever.

With respect to Kuhl, he appeared to try and be the Pirate's version of Scherzer last night, but without the same arsenal. His control was also off, and he was fortunate that last night's ump actually often had a generous strike zone.

Bad loss.

One last thought --- I know it was the 9th inning in a bad loss, but Moroff continues to flash some occasional power. In short, I really question if Frazier (who is a real minus on defense) is really the better option at 2nd than Moroff. Moroff was hitting pretty well in extended duty at the end of last season.

dmetz

5/1 Game Thread

Post by dmetz »

Alex Dickerson is really looking like quite a hitter.   He's not cooling off.   He's short to the ball, and not even striking out much like he used to in his career. The at bats are quality, even when unsuccessful.  His defense is solid.

Glasnow may not make it in MLB at all.  I cannot imagine a guy unable to succeed as a mop-up long man being able to turn it around and become a successful starter.   

Josh Bell is deeply concerning to me.  His GB rates are way too high over a significant ML sample now.   His swings always have been ackward, but he's got to find a way to get the ball off the ground to succeed as a power hitter.  I think he needs a new swing as much as anyone.   He's one of the faces of the franchise now and with his sub-par defense, really needs to take steps forward with his power to have good value. Because of the position he plays, he's unfortunately been about replacement level as a ML player now. That is troubling.

Cervelli is killing it.  If the season turns south soon, as I expect it to, I'd try to trade him ASAP this year for a reasonable return.   Don't chance the inevitable injury.   Diaz looks more than capable to take over.

rucker59@gmail.com

5/1 Game Thread

222B23323C460 wrote: Alex Dickerson is really looking like quite a hitter.   He's not cooling off.   He's short to the ball, and not even striking out much like he used to in his career. The at bats are quality, even when unsuccessful.  His defense is solid.

Glasnow may not make it in MLB at all.  I cannot imagine a guy unable to succeed as a mop-up long man being able to turn it around and become a successful starter.   

Josh Bell is deeply concerning to me.  His GB rates are way too high over a significant ML sample now.   His swings always have been ackward, but he's got to find a way to get the ball off the ground to succeed as a power hitter.  I think he needs a new swing as much as anyone.   He's one of the faces of the franchise now and with his sub-par defense, really needs to take steps forward with his power to have good value. Because of the position he plays, he's unfortunately been about replacement level as a ML player now.  That is troubling.

Cervelli is killing it.  If the season turns south soon, as I expect it to, I'd try to trade him ASAP this year for a reasonable return.   Don't chance the inevitable injury.   Diaz looks more than capable to take over.

Bell has become my biggest concern....
OrlandoMerced

5/1 Game Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Alex Dickerson?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 Game Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7548565B545E55775F48595F5E3A0 wrote: Alex Dickerson?

He was traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the San Diego Padres for Jaff Decker and Miles Mikolas after the 2013 season.
OrlandoMerced

5/1 Game Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Right, did that post mean to bring up Alex?