A Look at the Indianapolis 2021 Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I live in a AAA town, and I’ve been thinking about the Indianapolis team I’d like to see visit Syracuse this year. I’m trying to temper optimism and realism in these posts. This one focuses on the Indy pitching staff.

Until the Musgrove trade I thought JT Brubaker would be the easy choice for AAA ace and the first man called up. But now that he projects for the Pittsburgh rotation, that distinction goes to Wil Crowe, who we acquired in the Josh Bell trade. Crowe’s scouting reports do not excite me, but Cherington saw something in the guy and will give him every chance to succeed.

Cody Ponce provided some promising results in a small 2020 sample, and is the best holdover choice to see MLB innings in 2021. Ponce’s stuff outshines the other organizational options. James Marvel simply doesn’t throw very hard, though he gets by AAA batters with solid command. Cam Vieaux hasn’t matched Marvel’s stats but is that rarity in our system: a lefty starting pitcher.

Minor league free agent Chase De Jong posted some awful numbers in 2019, but he was successful in 2018, producing Ponce-like number in a small sample, so he should get a chance to complete the Indy rotation, at least at season’s opening. His primary competition should be Jeff Passantino, a righty with decent stats who we acquired in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

I’m not sure when Cody Bolton will reach AAA this season, but we should all be disappointed if he doesn’t. Bolton is our 13th ranked prospect, and the only other Top 30 guy knocking on AAA’s door is recently acquired David Bednar at #30. Bednar’s relative difficulty handling lefty hitting has him pointed at the bullpen. Maybe I’m cynical, but Bednar has an inside track to an MLB roster for two reasons: he’s Cherington’s guy, and he’s a Burgh guy.

Speaking of which, the Pirates overhauled their MLB and AAA bullpens, and I predict that the 40-man guys who open at Indianapolis might be decided by who has a remaining option. Back from injury and a suspension, Edgar Santana is a prime example. Geoff Hartlieb seems less likely to slip back to AAA after a decent year in Pittsburgh, but I think they’ll stash Blake Cederlind until injuries demand his callup. Tyler Bashlor also has one remaining option, and was kept on the 40-man despite poor results at the MLB level with the Mets and Pirates. Somebody likes his stuff! Nick Mears has plenty of stuff, but I see him as the top reliever at Altoona as the season begins.

Clay Holmes and Jandel Gustave both remained in the organization after being dropped off the 40-man. Both big righties have had a smattering of MLB success but should open in the Indy bullpen. Blake Weiman reached AAA in 2019 and has put up strong numbers as he’s risen through the system. As the only lefty, it’s his job to lose. Finally, Shea Spitzbarth was acquired in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft, so I’m sure he’ll have backing for a spot in Indy or Altoona.

Carson Fullmer and Sean Poppen are currently on the 40-man and out of options. Unless we trade someone, there’s no room for them on the active roster in Pittsburgh. Will they make it through waivers? Will they accept a AAA assignment? Does Mr. Huge, AKA Matt Eckelman, start at Altoona or Indy? At some point even this guesser throws his hands up and says, “I just don’t know.”

In summary, who are the 7 or 8 guys opening the 2021 season in our AAA Bullpen? It’s not an easy call but (1) the lefty Weiman has no current competition. (2) Santana has options, as do (3) Cederlind and (4) Bashlor. (5) Clay Holmes and (6) Jandel Gustave should stick and may even get a spot start or two. (7) Spitzbarth has nothing to prove at a lower level. (8) I’ll take Passantino as a swing man to round out the 13-man staff, which will undoubtedly change as the season wears on.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Again, this is going to be a major roller coaster the next two or three years. A bunch of fringe MLB guys or AAAA guys that are better suited for the minors will be here. Since this year is going to be another rough one and its setting up like we will be drafting first overall in 2022 (hello Spencer Jones from Vandy - I see you ... starting pitcher and 1Bman).

This is another evaluation year on guys like Ponce, Fulmer, Crowe and such. All three have shown some degree of promise over the course of their careers in college or the minors or even MLB. Its time to see what you have in them. Crowe is blah to me right now. He was acquired in the bell deal for a reason. Fulmer was dumped and resigned by the Pirates twice for a reason. Ponce showed promise last year for us.

The bullpen is even more interesting. I can see Santana and Rodriguez both dealt at some point; moving arms up. Just can't get a grasp on what to expect here.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

4B616A5A6D7B7B77180 wrote: I live in a AAA town, and I’ve been thinking about the Indianapolis team I’d like to see visit Syracuse this year. I’m trying to temper optimism and realism in these posts. This one focuses on the Indy pitching staff.

Until the Musgrove trade I thought  JT Brubaker would be the easy choice for AAA ace and the first man called up. But now that he projects for the Pittsburgh rotation, that distinction goes to Wil Crowe, who we acquired in the Josh Bell trade. Crowe’s scouting reports do not excite me, but Cherington saw something in the guy and will give him every chance to succeed.

Cody Ponce provided some promising results in a small 2020 sample, and is the best holdover choice to see MLB innings in 2021. Ponce’s stuff outshines the other organizational options. James Marvel simply doesn’t throw very hard, though he gets by AAA batters with solid command. Cam Vieaux hasn’t matched Marvel’s stats but is that rarity in our system: a lefty starting pitcher.

Minor league free agent Chase De Jong  posted some awful numbers in 2019, but he was successful in 2018, producing Ponce-like number in a small sample, so he should get a chance to complete the Indy rotation, at least at season’s opening. His primary competition should be Jeff Passantino, a righty with decent stats who we acquired in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

I’m not sure when Cody Bolton will reach AAA this season, but we should all be disappointed if he doesn’t. Bolton is our 13th ranked prospect, and the only other Top 30 guy knocking on AAA’s door is recently acquired David Bednar at #30. Bednar’s relative difficulty handling lefty hitting has him pointed at the bullpen. Maybe I’m cynical, but Bednar has an inside track to an MLB roster for two reasons: he’s Cherington’s guy, and he’s a Burgh guy.

Speaking of which, the Pirates overhauled their MLB and AAA bullpens, and I predict that the 40-man guys who open at Indianapolis might be decided by who has a remaining option. Back from injury and a suspension, Edgar Santana is a prime example. Geoff Hartlieb seems less likely to slip back to AAA after a decent year in Pittsburgh, but I think they’ll stash Blake Cederlind until injuries demand his callup. Tyler Bashlor also has one remaining option, and was kept on the 40-man despite poor results at the MLB level with the Mets and Pirates. Somebody likes his stuff!  Nick Mears has plenty of stuff,  but I see him as the top reliever at Altoona as the season begins.

Clay Holmes and Jandel Gustave both remained in the organization after being dropped off the 40-man. Both big righties have had a smattering of MLB success but should open in the Indy bullpen. Blake Weiman reached AAA in 2019 and has put up strong numbers as he’s risen through the system. As the only lefty, it’s his job to lose. Finally, Shea Spitzbarth was acquired in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft, so I’m sure he’ll have backing for a spot in Indy or Altoona.

Carson Fullmer and Sean Poppen are currently on the 40-man and out of options. Unless we trade someone, there’s no room for them on the active roster in Pittsburgh. Will they make it through waivers?  Will they accept a AAA assignment? Does Mr. Huge, AKA Matt Eckelman, start at Altoona or Indy? At some point even this guesser throws his hands up and says, “I just don’t know.”

In summary, who are the 7 or 8 guys opening the 2021 season in our AAA Bullpen? It’s not an easy call but (1) the lefty Weiman has no current competition. (2) Santana has options, as do (3) Cederlind and (4) Bashlor.  (5) Clay Holmes and (6) Jandel Gustave should stick and may even get a spot start or two. (7) Spitzbarth has nothing to prove at a lower level. (8) I’ll take Passantino as a swing man to round out the 13-man staff, which will undoubtedly change as the season wears on.

I have a chance to change this with the Taillon trade, but I've decided that Miguel Yajure has a better shot at the Pirates' rotation than Wil Crowe does, so I'm leaving my "Indy 13" alone. I see Contreras as a AA guy, at least as the start of the season.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

052F241423353539560 wrote: I live in a AAA town, and I’ve been thinking about the Indianapolis team I’d like to see visit Syracuse this year. I’m trying to temper optimism and realism in these posts. This one focuses on the Indy pitching staff.

Until the Musgrove trade I thought  JT Brubaker would be the easy choice for AAA ace and the first man called up. But now that he projects for the Pittsburgh rotation, that distinction goes to Wil Crowe, who we acquired in the Josh Bell trade. Crowe’s scouting reports do not excite me, but Cherington saw something in the guy and will give him every chance to succeed.

Minor league free agent Chase De Jong  posted some awful numbers in 2019, but he was successful in 2018, producing Ponce-like number in a small sample, so he should get a chance to complete the Indy rotation, at least at season’s opening. His primary competition should be Jeff Passantino, a righty with decent stats who we acquired in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

Speaking of which, the Pirates overhauled their MLB and AAA bullpens, and I predict that the 40-man guys who open at Indianapolis might be decided by who has a remaining option. Back from injury and a suspension, Edgar Santana is a prime example. Geoff Hartlieb seems less likely to slip back to AAA after a decent year in Pittsburgh, but I think they’ll stash Blake Cederlind until injuries demand his callup. Tyler Bashlor also has one remaining option, and was kept on the 40-man despite poor results at the MLB level with the Mets and Pirates. Somebody likes his stuff!  Nick Mears has plenty of stuff,  but I see him as the top reliever at Altoona as the season begins.

Carson Fullmer and Sean Poppen are currently on the 40-man and out of options. Unless we trade someone, there’s no room for them on the active roster in Pittsburgh. Will they make it through waivers?  Will they accept a AAA assignment? Does Mr. Huge, AKA Matt Eckelman, start at Altoona or Indy? At some point even this guesser throws his hands up and says, “I just don’t know.”

In summary, who are the 7 or 8 guys opening the 2021 season in our AAA Bullpen? It’s not an easy call but (1) the lefty Weiman has no current competition. (2) Santana has options, as do (3) Cederlind and (4) Bashlor.  (5) Clay Holmes and (6) Jandel Gustave should stick and may even get a spot start or two. (7) Spitzbarth has nothing to prove at a lower level. (8) I’ll take Passantino as a swing man to round out the 13-man staff, which will undoubtedly change as the season wears on.

I have a chance to change this with the Taillon trade, but I've decided that Miguel Yajure has a better shot at the Pirates' rotation than Wil Crowe does, so I'm leaving my "Indy 13" alone. I see Contreras as a AA guy, at least as the start of the season.

Let's hold that thought for a bit. Wouldn't be stunned if Kuhl or Brault is moved. I saw something on Twitter that two teams are interested in Kuhl including the Twins.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

4353526573737F100 wrote: I live in a AAA town, and I’ve been thinking about the Indianapolis team I’d like to see visit Syracuse this year. I’m trying to temper optimism and realism in these posts. This one focuses on the Indy pitching staff.

Let's hold that thought for a bit.  Wouldn't be stunned if Kuhl or Brault is moved.  I saw something on Twitter that two teams are interested in Kuhl including the Twins.
Wow, I think they're close to the bone now. If they make such a trade, they'll have to sign a FA starter if only for appearances' sake.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Obviously, anything goes this year. Nothing is being done to strengthen the pathetically weak Pirate roster. In fact, it's been made even weaker. It appears BC took the job of rebuilding very seriously and isn't going to use any trading chips for guys who will add a few meaningless wins to the noncompetitive roster before they are gone when he could use his chips to strengthen the organization with the intent of becoming competitive in a few years. I suspect he would have a starting rotation of Little Leaguers if need be if he could get prospects for Kuhl and Brault. And it's not exactly like Kuhl and Brault are going to lead the team to glory.

I get the concept of what BC is trying. Time will tell if he succeeds or fails. But they are certainly sacrificing the part of the organization that the fans watch---the major league roster. Necessary as that may be, I wonder how they plan to market, advertise, etc. Other than "Come see Hayes" that's going to be a challenge for the marketing dept.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: Obviously, anything goes this year. Nothing is being done to strengthen the pathetically weak Pirate roster. In fact, it's been made even weaker. It appears BC took the job of rebuilding very seriously and isn't going to use any trading chips for guys who will add a few meaningless wins to the noncompetitive roster before they are gone when he could use his chips to strengthen the organization with the intent of becoming competitive in a few years. I suspect he would have a starting rotation of Little Leaguers if need be if he could get prospects for Kuhl and Brault. And it's not exactly like Kuhl and Brault are going to lead the team to glory.

I get the concept of what BC is trying. Time will tell if he succeeds or fails. But they are certainly sacrificing the part of the organization that the fans watch---the major league roster. Necessary as that may be, I wonder how they plan to market, advertise, etc. Other than "Come see Hayes" that's going to be a challenge for the marketing dept.   

as far as fans go, I think with covid still around this year, there couldn't be a better time for the Bucs to go into the tank at the major league level than 2020 and 2021. This year's marketing will probably focus on PNC Park, promotions and the opponent.

However, the team is going to have to show some promise for 2022 by getting most of the 2022 lineup and pitching staff ready this season.
PMike

Post by PMike »

250302150313600 wrote: Obviously, anything goes this year. Nothing is being done to strengthen the pathetically weak Pirate roster. In fact, it's been made even weaker. It appears BC took the job of rebuilding very seriously and isn't going to use any trading chips for guys who will add a few meaningless wins to the noncompetitive roster before they are gone when he could use his chips to strengthen the organization with the intent of becoming competitive in a few years. I suspect he would have a starting rotation of Little Leaguers if need be if he could get prospects for Kuhl and Brault. And it's not exactly like Kuhl and Brault are going to lead the team to glory.

as far as fans go, I think with covid still around this year, there couldn't be a better time for the Bucs to go into the tank at the major league level than 2020 and 2021.  This year's marketing will probably focus on PNC Park, promotions and the opponent.

However, the team is going to have to show some promise for 2022 by getting most of the 2022 lineup and pitching staff ready this season.

Exactly. Covid is going to stifle attendance again. It is a perfect time to retool the system and tank at the top level. No one will be able to write lame articles about empty seats at PNC Park. This was the right move anyway, but Covid is making it a lot easier.