Everyday outfield

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Everyday outfield

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I like rotating a four person OF and I said so before we knew we were keeping Meadows up. I'd keep Rodriguez out of the starting lineup though. If you have four players playing three positions they are going to play most games anyhow.
Bobster21

Everyday outfield

Post by Bobster21 »

0A3834342012313835303F38590 wrote: I like rotating a four person OF and I said so before we knew we were keeping Meadows up.  I'd keep Rodriguez out of the starting lineup though.  If you have four players playing three positions they are going to play most games anyhow. 
Most teams go with the same 3 OF starters. If you're going to stray from that, why do it with 3 good hitting, good fielding (yes, despite his weak arm, Dickerson has otherwise been fine defensively) and 1 weak hitting, weak fielding OFer? I don't see the unnecessary inclusion of Polanco as a plus.
notes34

Everyday outfield

Post by notes34 »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I like rotating a four person OF and I said so before we knew we were keeping Meadows up.  I'd keep Rodriguez out of the starting lineup though.  If you have four players playing three positions they are going to play most games anyhow. 
Most teams go with the same 3 OF starters. If you're going to stray from that, why do it with 3 good hitting, good fielding (yes, despite his weak arm, Dickerson has otherwise been fine defensively) and 1 weak hitting, weak fielding OFer? I don't see the unnecessary inclusion of Polanco as a plus.

Nope doesn't make any sense. Polanco should only get a start when one of the other 3 really need a day off. Not this rotation crap. He is the only one not playing at a high level.
SCBucco

Everyday outfield

Post by SCBucco »

363F372628520 wrote: Hurdle hasn't been playing the bench that much this year.  Unlike previous years.  I don't think a platoon is happening with Rodriguez and Dickerson.

Interesting.  Dickerson was just rested a few days ago.  What is your explanation for SRod getting that start in the OF over a rested Dickerson?

I'm hoping they are already showcasing certain players for trades and SRod being one of them. It's the only thing that makes sense.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Everyday outfield

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Polanco is in tonight (Thursday may 31st) and Meadows is out. I am starting to question Hurdle now. I didn't even look at the match-up stats. No one knows Meadows yet, not enough film on him. Dickerson, Marte, Meadows should be playing.

Come on Hurdle...
CarolinaBucco

Everyday outfield

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Polanco over Meadows at this point makes ZERO sense.

MEMO TO PIRATES: You are allowed to play the same 3 guys in the outfield two games in a row, or 3, or 4 or even 7 games in a row. Dickerson, Marte and especially Meadows are all playing VERY WELL right now.

So frustrating. Polanco does not belong in the lineup right now ahead of any of those three.
Bobster21

Everyday outfield

Post by Bobster21 »

I guess they were encouraged yesterday when Polanco hit a ball all the way to shallow CF.
notes34

Everyday outfield

Post by notes34 »

This is inexcusable! How can Hurdle justify playing Polanco over Meadows?
Ecbucs

Everyday outfield

Post by Ecbucs »

maybe Meadows is tired from being on base all the time.
Bobster21

Everyday outfield

Post by Bobster21 »

2E2F3425337374400 wrote: This is inexcusable! How can Hurdle justify playing Polanco over Meadows?
It goes back to Freese's comments before the season that there is no premium placed on winning. Hurdle is treating these key series with the Cubs and Cards like Grapefruit League games. Just rotate a bad player with 3 good ones to see if he can rebound. If they lose, they lose. Who cares? And I'm sure this bizarre decision was made in conjunction with NH. Winning would be nice but it's more important to them to see if Polanco can hit. They don't use the strategy that when the games count, you have to make the decisions that give the team the best chance of winning. Clearly, this insane 4-man rotation that replaces a .300+ hitter with a .201 batter is not being done to enhance the team's chances of winning. Freese was right.