What's up with Cervelli

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

What's up with Cervelli

Post by skinnyhorse »

Have watched several games and it seems to me FC is having lots of trouble catching these days. From dropped pitches to flat out missing pitches it was embarrassing the other night with Rivero/Vazquez. I was blaming that FV but thinking back FC has been having a terrible time in basically every game. I know our pitchers have had many strikes called a ball with him dropping pitches to reaching back to catch a ball in the zone. Haven't seen that much of Diaz but don't remember seeing him having these troubles, and I sure don't see the opposing teams catchers having these kinds of trouble. I'm not sure this is fixable but it is not helping this team. Anyone else seen the same?
dmetz

What's up with Cervelli

Post by dmetz »

I'm no fan of Cervelli defensively or attitude wise, but the guy is driving the baseball now, for some reason.   He's had a good start and both catchers have done very, very well so far. 

Defensively, meh.  Hit like he has, and it doesn't matter to me at all. 

dogknot17@yahoo.co

What's up with Cervelli

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I have noticed some lapse by Cervelli, but the pitching has been so wild this year. They lead the league in wild pitches. Cervelli is actually blocking a lot of pitches too. He has been crossed up so many times this year too. These limited mound visits might be hurting him. How is he not communicating with his pitcher better? Diaz has had a bunch of wild pitches thrown to him too. Cervelli is throwing better than career norms. Diaz is not.

On offense, the Pirates lead the league in OPS by Catchers. Cervelli has a new swing. He should be batting third with Polanco being moved out of the two spot.
IABucFan

What's up with Cervelli

Post by IABucFan »

Yeah, this seems to me to be grasping at straws. I've many times stated that I think Diaz is our better catcher, certainly defensively and perhaps offensively. But, Cervelli is having a great start to the year. The Pirates have plenty of problems to deal with. Off the top of my head:

1. Bullpen

2. Unproven arms in rotation

3. Two bad starts in a row from Taillon

4. Polanco slumping

5. Bell slumping

6. Low attendance

132. Cervelli
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What's up with Cervelli

131B182F391C3B345A0 wrote: Yeah, this seems to me to be grasping at straws. I've many times stated that I think Diaz is our better catcher, certainly defensively and perhaps offensively. But, Cervelli is having a great start to the year. The Pirates have plenty of problems to deal with. Off the top of my head:

1. Bullpen

4. Polanco slumping

5. Bell slumping

6. Low attendance

132. Cervelli

Not every post has to be about the importance of the problem/issue.

The Wild Pitches are still a problem. They lead the majors. Cervelli is getting beat up back there and is having some problems. I think it is mostly the pitcher's fault. I don't know why he is getting crossed up that much. Seems like every outing Vazquez has, he crossed up Cervelli. That is not good.

I think Cervelli is pretty good at blocking pitches. So far this year, he is having to block more and more. Of course he is going to miss some. It just so many based on the wildness of the pitchers. I don't think he has recorded a Passed Ball yet.
skinnyhorse

What's up with Cervelli

Post by skinnyhorse »

494142756346616E000 wrote: Yeah, this seems to me to be grasping at straws. I've many times stated that I think Diaz is our better catcher, certainly defensively and perhaps offensively. But, Cervelli is having a great start to the year. The Pirates have plenty of problems to deal with. Off the top of my head:

1. Bullpen

4. Polanco slumping

5. Bell slumping

6. Low attendance

132. Cervelli
That will definitely change if he keeps missing pitches, can't have a catcher who can't catch, that's why they're called catchers. Diaz has been having great games and not the trouble of missing pitches, however of course his is a small sample. The other night with FR/FV it was down right embarrassing to watch him and Cervelli.
IABucFan

What's up with Cervelli

Post by IABucFan »

786062656572636479786E0B0 wrote: Yeah, this seems to me to be grasping at straws. I've many times stated that I think Diaz is our better catcher, certainly defensively and perhaps offensively. But, Cervelli is having a great start to the year. The Pirates have plenty of problems to deal with. Off the top of my head:

1. Bullpen

4. Polanco slumping

5. Bell slumping

6. Low attendance

132. Cervelli
That will definitely change if he keeps missing pitches, can't have a catcher who can't catch, that's why they're called catchers.  Diaz has been having great games and not the trouble of missing pitches, however of course his is a small sample.  The other night with FR/FV it was down right embarrassing to watch him and Cervelli.

IDK...your opinion, and you're entitled to it. This just strikes me as looking for something to complain about.
GermanTownship

What's up with Cervelli

Post by GermanTownship »

What's wrong with his attitude?
SammyKhalifa

What's up with Cervelli

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, i agree with the sentiment that for now, we got 99 problems but a catcher position ain't one
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What's up with Cervelli

486A7D626E615B6078617C67667F0F0 wrote: What's wrong with his attitude?

I don't really think it is attitude. His antics are tiring at times. Always talking to the umpire, making faces. Most catchers are close with umpires (they do protect them), but Cervelli seems to do it a lot more and with a lot more drama.

I do agree with dmetz on this. Accept the call and move on. Cervelli seems to be well liked and probably why he gets away with this stuff. He is always joking with opposing players and talking on the base paths.