I'd consider moving Corey Dickerson for a good SP

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, file under "won't be popular." :D

But you have to give to get, and Polanco isn't going to get anything at this point. I think Dickerson is at his height of value right now; and while losing him would suck, I think we might be able to overcome the missing offense with better pitching.

I wouldn't say I WOULD do it, but that I'd consider. ;)
notes34

Post by notes34 »

NONONONONONONO!!!!!
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

he's not a FA until 2020, trade him for a controllable young pitcher, not someone thats going to be gone in 1-2 years.

By the way, did you know his name is McKenzie? I just noticed that on baseball-reference.com
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm sure they could get a return for Dickerson. But at what point do their players become part of a contending Pirate team instead of a trading chip? It goes back to NH's confusing messages before the season when he said they were rebuilding, but not really rebuilding, that the odds weren't good but they could possibly contend. The young starting pitchers certainly have the look of a rebuilding team. Letting Bell hit 4th everyday and bumping better players for Polanco has the look of a rebuilding team just trying to develop players at the MLB level rather than focusing on winning.

But if they're going to contend, one good pitcher that they could get for Dickerson probably wouldn't have as much impact as Dickerson playing every day (or at least 3 of every 4 days so the .210 hitter can also play). I'm tired and suspicious of so many players being traded over the years in exchange for guys who are supposed to add to the team's talent only to see the team tread water until the acquired guys suffer the same fate and become the next trading chip for the next future star who will in term become the next trading chip for the next future star, etc, etc. It seems TBMTIB has hitched its wagon to these young starters. Kingham, Glasnow and Keller could also be in the mix. I'm not even sure team mgt knows what direction they want to take. But they better figure it out before they trade significant players.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just keep thinking about how this is by far his best season of his career, and that last season he had a pretty steep dropoff the second half. I hope it isn't the case but he might be at the height of his power right now.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

That may be true but even if he drops off to his career norms that is still a decent player. Unless someone is willing to overpay I say no.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I really like Dickerson.

He is hitting for average, has really cut down on his strike-outs, he appears to know how to hit (choking up on the bat with two strikes), is hitting reasonably well against both lefties and righties, he catches balls that he should catch, he is a good baserunner (even though he isn't a barn-burner) and he appears to be the most sound player on the Pirate team. The only downsides to date are that his power has dropped off this year compared to last, and his arm is clearly substandard.

Having said all of that, if the Bucs could turn Dickerson into a long-term starting pitcher with a good upside, I would consider making the move. In short, you are not shopping Dickerson, but you would trade him for a good return. Dickerson could be an ideal #2 hitter for a lot of teams and he is still cheap and comes with another year of control, albeit at a greater cost.

If the Bucs do fall out the contention over the next 2 - 3 weeks, trading Dickerson may be one way to infuse more talent into the team. Some times you gotta give to get.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: I'm sure they could get a return for Dickerson. But at what point do their players become part of a contending Pirate team instead of a trading chip? It goes back to NH's confusing messages before the season when he said they were rebuilding, but not really rebuilding, that the odds weren't good but they could possibly contend. The young starting pitchers certainly have the look of a rebuilding team. Letting Bell hit 4th everyday and bumping better players for Polanco has the look of a rebuilding team just trying to develop players at the MLB level rather than focusing on winning.

But if they're going to contend, one good pitcher that they could get for Dickerson probably wouldn't have as much impact as Dickerson playing every day (or at least 3 of every 4  days so the .210 hitter can also play). I'm tired and suspicious of so many players being traded over the years in exchange for guys who are supposed to add to the team's talent only to see the team tread water until the acquired guys suffer the same fate and become the next trading chip for the next future star who will in term become the next trading chip for the next future star, etc, etc. It seems TBMTIB has hitched its wagon to these young starters. Kingham, Glasnow and Keller could also be in the mix. I'm not even sure team mgt knows what direction they want to take. But they better figure it out before they trade significant players.   

This is 100% accurate. Besides, what does Dickerson bring in terms of a pitching prospect coming back? Some low A guy that will or might be ready in 3 years? Chances are you will have to wait on the pitcher to make it up and that isn't even a given. Dickerson has more value right now.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7767665147474B240 wrote: Besides, what does Dickerson bring in terms of a pitching prospect coming back? 

well that's the question. if it's as you say of course I wouldn't do it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

487A76766250737A77727D7A1B0 wrote: I just keep thinking about how this is by far his best season of his career, and that last season he had a pretty steep dropoff the second half.  I hope it isn't the case but he might be at the height of his power right now.
Actually, he'll have to top his 2014 season for it to be the best.