As anybody ever seen, or even heard, of a 3 run wild pitch?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Surprised no one mentioned this, but the Sunday game that included the Brewers scoring 3 runs off a wild pitch - I couldn’t believe what was happening. Even in Little League, I’ve never even heard of such a crazy play.

I’m not sure I’ve seen two runs. Has anyone ever seen bases cleared with a WP? :o
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

First time I ever saw it. But technically, it was 2 runs on the WP and the 3rd run on an error when Feliz couldn't catch Diaz' throw. The 3rd runner had stopped at 3B but came in when the ball got past Feliz covering the plate. So if any stat bureau has info on 3 runs scoring on a WP they probably won't include the Pirates for that instance.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: Surprised no one mentioned this, but the Sunday game that included the Brewers scoring 3 runs off a wild pitch - I couldn’t believe what was happening. Even in Little League, I’ve never even heard of such a crazy play. 

I’m not sure I’ve seen two runs.  Has anyone ever seen bases cleared with a WP? :o

With our wild pitch count, I'm surprised it didn't happen to us.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1F0F0E392F2F234C0 wrote: Surprised no one mentioned this, but the Sunday game that included the Brewers scoring 3 runs off a wild pitch - I couldn’t believe what was happening. Even in Little League, I’ve never even heard of such a crazy play. 

I’m not sure I’ve seen two runs.  Has anyone ever seen bases cleared with a WP? :o

With our wild pitch count, I'm surprised it didn't happen to us.
just think if it would have been with two outs and strike three on the batter. Could have scored 4 and have a record that could never be broken.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Yes.

According to Webster’s Dictionary it is called a “Feliz Navibad” named after the Pittsburgh Pirate pitcher who perfected the pitch.

The pitcher must throw a pitch that travels between 50 and 55 feet with sufficient spin to carom off the outside of a catchers shin guard. The pitcher must then walk casually to home plate and completely miss the throw from the catcher. Once the ball bounces off the backstop he must very casually walk towards the ball and slide it gently into his mitt. Once all 3 runners have crossed home plate he can meander back to the mound.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I watched this play for the first time last night. Brown, Walk, and Wehner have calls for the ages on that play. They are less than endearing to the Pirates.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I put this in another thread but it's worth mentioning here. WP vs PB can be up to the discretion of the official scorer. I've seen some WPs I though the catcher should have blocked. But I was surprised to see how evenly the home vs away scorers have called them.

The Pirates have only 8 PBs, all by Cervelli. 4 home, 4 away. The Pirates now have thrown a staggering 93 WPs. 46 at home and 47 away. There's really no incentive for a scorer, home or away, to prefer calling a PB vs a WP, as they might when it comes to hits vs errors. I guess the WPs are so evenly divided because they throw them so often regardless of where they are playing.