Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Baseball can resume this season. There's now (predictably) this ....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/ ... c#comments

Up until this news I was thinking a season might get done at the spring training sites. Now, not so much. They will not agree on the money.

I understand ownership’s side much more than MLBPA’s on this. If you’re ownership you can’t lose 40 to 45 % of your revenue stream and still pay at the same RATE that you were. Yes, salaries were going to be prorated to the number of games played — if there were fans. But with no fans the payroll amount also has to be reduced from the prorated amount to 40 to 45 % less than said amount.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

654E5C664E53424844674449442B0 wrote: Baseball can resume this season. There's now (predictably) this ....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/ ... c#comments

Up until this news I was thinking a season might get done at the spring training sites. Now, not so much. They will not agree on the money.

I understand ownership’s side much more than MLBPA’s on this. If you’re ownership you can’t lose 40 to 45 % of your revenue stream and still pay at the same RATE that you were. Yes, salaries were going to be prorated to the number of games played — if there were fans. But with no fans the payroll amount also has to be reduced from the prorated amount to 40 to 45 % less than said amount./2020/04/union-league-spar-over-interpretation-of-agreement-on-resumption-of-play.html?fvtc_order=desc#comments

I am on the players side on this. IMO, the owners can lose money this year easier than the players (unless owners are going to pay minor leaguers and all employees - which it looks like they don't expect to do). At the major league level it is easier for a team to lose money than a player. Other than the players making millions a year for at least a couple years (which leaves out all the Pirates) most players aren't going to have saved much money. The players will still be losing a lot of their income.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

There is no doubt in my mind that both parties indeed understood how the pay was going to go. My guess is some of the players balked and their negotiator was caught in the middle.
shedman

Post by shedman »

5970767A78150 wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that both parties indeed understood how the pay was going to go. My guess is some of the players balked and their negotiator was caught in the middle.
______

My experience is that it is very difficult to get people to back up. Slow down the rate of increase - OK. back up - no way.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

7F646968616D620C0 wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that both parties indeed understood how the pay was going to go. My guess is some of the players balked and their negotiator was caught in the middle.
______

My experience is that it is very difficult to get people to back up.  Slow down the rate of increase - OK.  back up - no way.

[/quote

I doubt we ever negotiated a contract like this one. It is hard to believe that as important as pay is that it was not negotiated let alone understood how the players would be paid. They do get paid to play and when you lose 1/3 or 1/2 the season even the MLB union would understand some reduction in pay .
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"MLB union would"

and

"understand some reduction in pay."

Those two phrases are mutually exclusive, regardless of circumstances.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

053027272C1527272C2B27420 wrote: "MLB union would"

and

"understand some reduction in pay."

Those two phrases are mutually exclusive, regardless of circumstances.

the MLB Trade rumors site says the players expect to get paid by the game (or percentage of full season) not that they expect to get paid as if nothing had happened.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Good for them. Whatever they can get. Helps pay the butlers, maids, landscapers, and pool cleaners.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

If there is an 80 game regular season schedule with no fans, then owners will make roughly 28.5% of what they made. The calculation used to arrive at this is that they would play about 50% of the regular season at roughly 57% of the revenue (no fans, concessions, parking, etc.). To be fair, players should make the same proportion. The playoffs should be a revenue split at the same proportion of owner revenue versus total payroll was for 2019.

I listened to a weak complaint about all of this from MLBPA executive director Chris Ianetta. He said none of this is fair because players are taking additional risk. B.S., there will no fans in the stands!

MLBPA will come out of this looking very bad to the "average Joe" worker or small business owner who loves baseball and also lost his livelihood because of this unfortunate pandemic.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The MLBPA looks just fine when a team has the kind of selfish, greedy, miserly, penny-pinching kind of  carpetbagging owner WE do, no matter how many games are played.