Lonnie Chisenhall signs with Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

427F78627F78160 wrote: Seems that Chisenhall could be taking over the Serpico role.
Prior to this move, I thought Reyes would play RF until Polanco returns and that Gonzalez could be the starting SS or else the new Serpico if they obtained a starting SS to hold the fort for a year or so until Newman or Tucker arrives for good. I think this changes things now.

Chisenhall has primarily played RF and 3B. He has very briefly played 1B, LF and CF in the majors with no 2B or SS. So I don't see him as another Serpico, but I can easily see Reyes that way. I think Chisenhall becomes the LH bat in RF until Polanco returns. Reyes probably becomes Serpico and starts in RF vs LHP. And Gonzalez starts at SS for a year (more if he excels).
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A272A3B3C2D3A7A79480 wrote: Seems that Chisenhall could be taking over the Serpico role.
Prior to this move, I thought Reyes would play RF until Polanco returns and that Gonzalez could be the starting SS or else the new Serpico if they obtained a starting SS to hold the fort for a year or so until Newman or Tucker arrives for good. I think this changes things now.

Chisenhall has primarily played RF and 3B. He has very briefly played 1B, LF and CF in the majors with no 2B or SS. So I don't see him as another Serpico, but I can easily see Reyes that way. I think Chisenhall becomes the LH bat in RF until Polanco returns. Reyes probably becomes Serpico and starts in RF vs LHP. And Gonzalez starts at SS for a year (more if he excels).   

I was thinking mostly the same things Bobster
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The bench is shaping up nicely. Chisenhall will be there after Polanco returns and it could very likely be Kang and Reyes there as well. Add the 2nd catcher and there's still room for 1 more. Possibly Osuna or maybe Newman backs up Gonzalez (altho he should probably play everyday in AAA). Maybe start the season with Tucker at AA and Newman at AAA and promote them both at mid season.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: The bench is shaping up nicely. Chisenhall will be there after Polanco returns and it could very likely be Kang and Reyes there as well. Add the 2nd catcher and there's still room for 1 more. Possibly Osuna or maybe Newman backs up Gonzalez (altho he should probably play everyday in AAA). Maybe start the season with Tucker at AA and Newman at AAA and promote them both at mid season. 
Bobster, I'm 98% sure that Cole Tucker will be our SS at Indy next year. He's our best SS prospect and they won't hold him back to further season Newman. Newman's time is now: he'll battle Gonzalez for the MLB SS job and the loser will be the utility infielder.

Chisenhall will be an adequate placeholder for Polanco if, as almost everyone has noted, he can stay healthy. I think it's obvious that he'll be in some type of platoon with Pablo Reyes in RF. We have options with Chisenhall's versatility after Polanco's return. Always good to have some injury insurance.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E545F6F584E4E422D0 wrote: The bench is shaping up nicely. Chisenhall will be there after Polanco returns and it could very likely be Kang and Reyes there as well. Add the 2nd catcher and there's still room for 1 more. Possibly Osuna or maybe Newman backs up Gonzalez (altho he should probably play everyday in AAA). Maybe start the season with Tucker at AA and Newman at AAA and promote them both at mid season. 
Bobster, I'm 98% sure that Cole Tucker will be our SS at Indy next year. He's our best SS prospect and they won't hold him back to further season Newman. Newman's time is now: he'll battle Gonzalez for the MLB SS job and the loser will be the utility infielder.

Chisenhall will be an adequate placeholder for Polanco if, as almost everyone has noted, he can stay healthy. I think it's obvious that he'll be in some type of platoon with Pablo Reyes in RF. We have options with Chisenhall's versatility after Polanco's return. Always good to have some injury insurance.
You may be right about the SS situation. It'll be interesting. Tucker is coming off a good AFL and has to get to AAA this year. But in 1+ seasons at AA his hitting has been mediocre at best (.259/.337/.361/.698). And Newman failed in his first look at MLB pitching. Both need to play so having them both at AAA would be problematic. Maybe Newman opens the season with the Bucs and Tucker at Indy. But I think both would benefit by starting out with Tucker at AA and Newman at AAA and making the promotions 2-3 months into the season.

OTOH, if Newman looks great in ST, maybe he opens the season as the Pirate SS with Gonzalez on the bench and Tucker playing SS at Indy. Or if they sour on Newman and see Tucker as the SS in another year, maybe Tucker opens the season at AAA and Newman sits on the Pirate bench as a utility infielder instead of enhancing his development with Bucs mgt feeling he is not in their future with Tucker not far off. Lots of possibilities.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Hope Reyes gets a lot of time in center during spring training. Marte is banged up alot!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Alex McRae DFAed to make room for the deal. I thought we had dropped him like a month ago.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I haven't checked in since this happened. But, personally, I like this signing. Chisenhall seems like the ideal guy to fill in for Polanco, and then provide depth as a fourth outfielder.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Agree Good 4th outfielder but if Reyes does not make the team out of spring who is the backup center fielder?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1E372B3E333C36636B666A520 wrote: Agree  Good 4th outfielder but if Reyes does not make the team out of spring who is the backup center fielder?
Just a guess, but if Marte got hurt during a game, Frazier would move to centerfield, and I would expect a phone call would be made to Indy to recall Reyes for the following day. I am including Reyes in my projected opening day roster.