Next 16 games for the Pirates...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I truly believe will tell a lot about this team and if they will truly compete for a wildcard spot come August and September. The next 16 games consist of only 5 home games and 11 road games. The 5 home games are with the A’s and Rangers which are two very winnable series where the Pirates I thick need to go 4-1, and the 11 road games are murderers row with 4 at St Louis, 3 at Arizona, and 4 at San Diego. So I would be thrilled if they could get out of this 16 game stretch at 9-7 which would put them at 23-21 almost 45 games into the season. I think the key to winning 9 games in this stretch is going 4-1 on this 5 game homestand with the A’s this weekend and the 2 with the Rangers next week. Then if you can go even 5-6 on the road trip to St Louis, Arizona, and San Diego that will put you at 9 wins. So we say it all the time but I really feel this is a key 2-3 week stretch for the Pirates to keep their head above water going into June and July. They can’t afford another long losing streak. They have to at least play around .500 in this 16 game stretch.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

The Diamondbacks scare me. They're our kryptonite.

I'm still pissed about a game late last May where we were up 5 runs with Musgrove on the mound and managed to blow it.

Wanted some payback last week and instead we got slapped around four games straight.

Last year the team imploded in May and June. If we can keep this year's implosion to the recent 8-game stretch, we'll be okay.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Cardinals are very hot right now. Possibly by next weekend some of their guys may cool off, and the Bucs could win a series in St Louis. That would sure be a great start to a road trip.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Baseball does seem to go in streaks that way.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

30170602071A25110607071A630 wrote: I truly believe will tell a lot about this team and if they will truly compete for a wildcard spot come August and September. The next 16 games consist of only 5 home games and 11 road games. The 5 home games are with the A’s and Rangers which are two very winnable series where the Pirates I thick need to go 4-1, and the 11 road games are murderers row with 4 at St Louis, 3 at Arizona, and 4 at San Diego. So I would be thrilled if they could get out of this 16 game stretch at 9-7 which would put them at 23-21 almost 45 games into the season. I think the key to winning 9 games in this stretch is going 4-1 on this 5 game homestand with the A’s this weekend and the 2 with the Rangers next week. Then if you can go even 5-6 on the road trip to St Louis, Arizona, and San Diego that will put you at 9 wins. So we say it all the time but I really feel this is a key 2-3 week stretch for the Pirates to keep their head above water going into June and July. They can’t afford another long losing streak. They have to at least play around .500 in this 16 game stretch.

The last couple of years the West has just beat up on us:

2018   12-21

2017   11-21

We are already 2-8 against the West and 13 games out of the next 22 are against the West as we come home from the 16 games you mention to play the Rockies and Dodgers. If we don't want to see our season slip away in May, then we need to start beating these guys at a .500 clip from here on out.

I'll take 11-11 in these games. And continuing to play well against the AL in these next 5 games will be key.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I wouldn't get too invested in any particular set of games.

Injuries have placed the 25 man roster in a constant state of flux, and to everyone's surprise, the only guy that has proven to be a staple for this 2019 offense, has been Josh Bell. Chaos does create opportunity, and in this case, Bryan Reynolds has looked like a possible starter, which would could make Dickerson's rehab an afterthought.

My point is simply that the lineup they run out tonight vs Oakland could be unrecognizable in a month or two months. Tucker will be back in Indy as it doesn't seem he is quite ready yet. Kang will be DFA'd if he doesn't show signs of life by June, and Diaz may emerge as the everyday catcher sooner, than later.

Basically, the entire offense, outside of Reynolds, Bell and Melky is pathetic. It's also extremely concerning and any run of bad pitching is a losing streak. This season is turning quickly into another development season, which will be frustrating for the fans, but important for the team if they are looking to ease Tucker, Hayes, Keller, Reynolds, and Diaz into full time roles going forward.

But I don't agree with that approach, right now I'd be on the horn with the cellar dwellers that have established starters in the infield on short term contracts that they'd be willing to deal. There is value in adding some stability to 3B, SS and 2B right now. Frazier and Moran are better suited for part time bench roles, Reyes, Kang and Shuck need to be on shorter leashes and they need to plug these holes on the 25 man.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6864653E373E363B3C23390E0 wrote: The Cardinals are very hot right now. Possibly by next weekend some of their guys may cool off, and the Bucs could win a series in St Louis. That would sure be a great start to a road trip.
It appears the Cards are going to be swept by the Cubs this weekend. I was hoping they would be cooled off next weekend when the Bucs play them, now I have to wonder whether the Cards may be back to winning by the time Friday rolls along.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

So far the Pirates are 4-4 in this stretch of playing 16 out of 21 games on the road until May 19th. Winning these next two against the Rangers and pushing that record to 6-4 before this 11 game road trip to St Louis, Arizona and San Diego can hopefully carry over to playing pretty good baseball on this road trip.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Well, I just looked at the schedule for after this Texas series (where Kingham and Brault are the starting pitchers), I predict that this is the last time they will be over .500 this season.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Has anyone else noticed how quirky the schedule has been this year? The Pirates have played 32 games this year (with one rainout) whereas the Brewers have played 38 games already. Last week, the Pirates were off Monday-Thursday-Monday. But now, we're playing 27 games in 27 days. Just seems odd to me.