Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Well, we have a lockout. In Manfred's letter to the fans, it sounds like the players are the bad guys, not willing to accept the gracious offerings of the owners, which should be expected. I'd like to read the Association's response to it, if there is one.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I put my best men on it. They gave me an advanced copy of the letter:

Dear fans,

By now, you know that we have been locked out. We don't want to call the owners 'bad guys', so we'll just say that we are the 'good guys.'

We made exceptional suggestions, but the owners have been unwilling to accept them. We were both surprised and disappointed by them. We hope that they will come around soon.

Hope to see you at spring training!

Regards,

Every Player
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers. They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most. The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others. They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher.

BC is putting together good stuff at the bottom of the organization so that when these players reach the big leagues they’ll be much better prepared. It’ll take a little more time, but we all knew that.
fjk090852-7

Off Season Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3F697F6B647E6E65687F4D6A606C6461236E0D0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

BC is putting together good stuff at the bottom of the organization so that when these players reach the big leagues they’ll be much better prepared.  It’ll take a little more time, but we all knew that.
I read the article as well. It really appears that the current Baseball Ops. Department lead by Ben Cherington and Steve Sanders are bringing in talented instructors and coaches to develop their players to become solid major league players for the Pirates organization. I may be more optimistic than most, but I believe better days are ahead for Pirate fans.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

How far ahead? ;)

I'd hate to see it if they aren't!
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

3B37366D646D65686F706A5D0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

BC is putting together good stuff at the bottom of the organization so that when these players reach the big leagues they’ll be much better prepared.  It’ll take a little more time, but we all knew that.
I read the article as well. It really appears that the current Baseball Ops. Department lead by Ben Cherington and Steve Sanders are bringing in talented instructors and coaches to develop their players  to become solid major league players for the Pirates organization. I may be more optimistic than most, but I believe better days are ahead for Pirate fans.
I found it disturbing that such a common sense approach was just now being implemented.
rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

I read the article as well. It really appears that the current Baseball Ops. Department lead by Ben Cherington and Steve Sanders are bringing in talented instructors and coaches to develop their players  to become solid major league players for the Pirates organization. I may be more optimistic than most, but I believe better days are ahead for Pirate fans.
I found it disturbing that such a common sense approach was just now being implemented.

More good articles today. A piece on some of the young arms and the impact Henry Davis is already having just in leadership. It’s clear the young guys look up to him.

Also a hopeful piece on Yean.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

After 2015, Huntington set the organization back 10 years.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3E687E6A657F6F64697E4C6B616D6560226F0C0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

After 2015, Huntington set the organization back 10 years.
Most definitely
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

3C3B2D252B3C7B770E29232F2722602D21234E0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

More good articles today.  A piece on some of the young arms and the impact Henry Davis is already having just in leadership.  It’s clear the young guys look up to him. 

Also a hopeful piece on Yean. 

Like you I am a glass-half-full rather than a glass-half-full guy with a hole in the bottom. It is time to move beyond those guys. Hi, to Mrs. VaPirate and J for us.