Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

We're immune.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Vin Scully noted: in the year that #44 Hank Aaron passed, the Braves won 44 games before the All Star break, 44 games after the All Starr break, and won the World Series in the 44th week of the year.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

6B5E4949427B49494245492C0 wrote: Because there isn't much in terms of other discussions, copied & pasted the summary from an article on MLB.com that's their final Power Ratings for the year and so far, heading toward next season.  I dnk how they determined their rankings.  They offered commentary on the top five.  I didn't paste that, but you can read that on your own if you're so inclined.

1. Braves

2. Dodgers

3. Rays

4. Brewers

5. White Sox

Astros

Yankees

Giants

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Padres

Cardinals

Mariners

Mets

Phillies

A’s

Tigers

Marlins

Angels

Twins

Reds

Cleveland

Cubs

Royals

Nationals

Rockies

Rangers

Pirates

D-backs

Orioles

If these are rankings relative to best to worst teams, I think the Orioles are light years better than us, but the only reason they are where they are is because the tough division they play in. I would love to have their bullpen and their hitting lineup over ours. We would only supply two of nine hitters.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

615F5A52415959527257405304360 wrote: "Pirates All-Star CF Bryan Reynolds is drawing significant interest in the trade market, with the Yankees and Mariners among potential suitors, but the team feels no pressure to move him. He won’t be a free agent until after 2025, and an extension remains possible." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/14 ... 4805029890

"Price tag on Pirates star CF Bryan Reynolds is thought 'astronomical.' It probably should be. Outstanding two-way player with years to go before free agency. Yankees, Marlins, Phillies and many others looking at CF." - Heyman

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/14 ... 5420618756
Obviously the fan base would be in a uproar

If they traded him this offseason, I'm moving onto be a fan of Toronto and will never talk Pirate baseball again. It would send another of many wrong messages to the fan base on trying to field a competitive team. We shouldn't be in the mode of collecting prospects now. We should be in the mode of trying to be more competitive. Trade Reynolds, you may as well trade Hayes and Bednar.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

If these are rankings relative to best to worst teams, I think the Orioles are light years better than us, but the only reason they are where they are is because the tough division they play in.  I would love to have their bullpen and their hitting lineup over ours.  We would only supply two of nine hitters.

IMO, this makes for an interesting conversation. I dnk whether I agree or disagree.

Scott Boras brought up the point that the Braves were essentially a .500 club @ the TDL. What brought them over the top was their 5(?) key additions. Surg mentioned them at one point, too.

Five players......in only two months.....helped the Braves go from a .500 club to division winner....to world champions, even after losing some key guys along the way. And, it's not as if their division was a cake walk.

In one sense, we can say- to your point- that we're "light years" from them.

But.....how much "closer" would we have been if it was the Pirates who found five "stud" castoffs during this past off-season and the Braves kept their same cards and didn't pick anyone up?

Take our three weakest positions....or take our three worst pitchers.....and, replace them with three capable players. I would think that it would help us. We might not be world champions, division winners, or even a wild card team, but wouldn't we be better than a club that lost 101 games?

That is what frustrated me. I was critized for it before the seaon started and don't really want to go through it again. We're "light years" away.....but, I will always maintain that it's by our choice.

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

7363625543434F200 wrote: "Pirates All-Star CF Bryan Reynolds is drawing significant interest in the trade market, with the Yankees and Mariners among potential suitors, but the team feels no pressure to move him. He won’t be a free agent until after 2025, and an extension remains possible." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/14 ... 4805029890

"Price tag on Pirates star CF Bryan Reynolds is thought 'astronomical.' It probably should be. Outstanding two-way player with years to go before free agency. Yankees, Marlins, Phillies and many others looking at CF." - Heyman

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/14 ... 5420618756
Obviously the fan base would be in a uproar

If they traded him this offseason, I'm moving onto be a fan of Toronto and will never talk Pirate baseball again.  It would send another of many wrong messages to the fan base on trying to field a competitive team.  We shouldn't be in the mode of collecting prospects now.  We should be in the mode of trying to be more competitive.  Trade Reynolds, you may as well trade Hayes and Bednar.

If fans don't fully understand the Pirates' ways by now (2021), I submit that they never will. Enjoy Reynolds and every other player the team has while they're here, regardless of how long they are. It's why I don't fall in love with players.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0D2B2C39303C2B3D355E0 wrote: Vin Scully noted: in the year that #44 Hank Aaron passed, the Braves won 44 games before the All Star break, 44 games after the All Starr break, and won the World Series in the 44th week of the year.
Giants extend Manager Gabe Kapler thru 2024
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Those large market, first place Milwaukee Brewers hired two guys I've never heard of to be Hitting Coach A and Hitting Coach B.

Meanwhile, Ben Cherington hasn't hired anybody for our last place club, but got a LMG from the Yankees for one of our minor league towns.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

251007070C3507070C0B07620 wrote: Those large market, first place Milwaukee Brewers hired two guys I've never heard of to be Hitting Coach A and Hitting Coach B.

Meanwhile, Ben Cherington hasn't hired anybody for our last place club, but got a LMG from the Yankees for one of our minor league towns.
Houston is another team reportedly interested in Marte
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Brewers acquire INF Mike Brosseau from Tampa for High A pitcher Evan Reifert.