2017 Outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

2017 Outlook

Post by mouse »

I agree as well. I really expect the Pirates to be back in the thick of it next year. Ninety wins is certainly do-able for them.

Incidentally, I blame the White Sox for our problems. The Cubs were perfectly content to amble along as the lovable losers until the White Sox won the World Series whatever year that was. Fans reacted so that the Cubs ownership twitched and finally decided to stop just making profits and start trying to win. That led to Theo.
rucker59@gmail.com

2017 Outlook

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

From the clarity of the offseason, it's easier for me to see: the window for the Pirates is not nearly as big or real as some think.  Neal has an extremely difficult job ahead of him if he wants the Pirates to compete in 2017. 

To win 90 games playing in the NLC is going to be really hard.  The Cubs owned the Pirates last year.  And the Pirates historically go about .500 against the Reds, Brewers and  Cardinals.  I see no reason to expect that to change in 2017.  ThePirates are quite likely to be 10 games under in the Central.  To play 10 games over with the rest of the schedule (including ALE) will be tough, and that gets the Pirates to .500. 

How to get to 90?

I expect a better lineup.  Kang will have a big season as will Bell.  I'd like to see Neal sign Sean (The Babe) Rodriguez to replace Marte who will be traded for Pitching and prospects  (It's affordable, the most important requirement!). (Clint can pick and chose between Bell and Sean for 1st and the OF).

Tallion and Kuhl are locks.  Trading Marte nets another 2-3 type guy. They will find #5 from within. 

The season hinges on Cole and Cutch.  I don't feel good about either and I think they will be on the trade block. If they are on the team in the spring they HAVE to have big rebounds. 

Bottom line, the Pirates season hinges on Jung Ho and Bell adding big bats to the lineup (and Polanco continuing to progress) and either MAJOR bounce back seasons by Cole and Cutch or/and the success of Neal's combined trades.  That's a lot of hoping and a pretty small window for a WC spot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Outlook

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree with you. Well, except for trading Marte (trade some minor leaguers).

In 2015 the Pirates were 24-9 against the NL East and 27-6 against the NL West. They were under .500 in the NL Central (34-42) and still won 98 games. They are not far removed from that season as most are the players are back.

I do expect Kang to be a top player. I expect McCutchen to get back to .285 and drive in runs. I expect Cervelli to hit too. I think Bell will be better than Jaso.

I am not just being a homer fan. I have my reasons on why I think they can compete next year with some additions.
Ecbucs

2017 Outlook

Post by Ecbucs »

I'm basically hopeful every season that the Bucs can compete. It is just my degree of certainty of whether that will happen or not that fluctuates.

This year I expected better than what team produced but though their ceiling was 86-93 wins (pretty big spread).

I did not expect them to have a losing record. I can see them improving to at least a winning record next year and would like to feel confident that they had a 70 or 80 percent chance (in my mind) of making the wild card.

Most teams going into the season have a decent chance of making one of the wild cards if things break right for them.

At this stage we know the Pirates are going to make changes for next year as players always come and go. We'll see if the team makes a bold move (like dealing Marte or Meadows or Glasnow) or if they hope to make more incremental changes.
mouse

2017 Outlook

Post by mouse »

Here's an interesting note from MLB Trade Rumors on Dexter Fowler. First, he's electing free agency again. But more interesting is this bit --

"Fowler recently told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale that teams last winter weren’t convinced of his ability to play center field, but [highlight]he altered his positioning this year[/highlight] and drew slightly above-average marks from both Ultimate Zone Rating and Defensive Runs Saved for the first time in his career."

Makes me wonder once again how much that shallow positioning for Cutch affected his fielding results.
Roberto218

2017 Outlook

Post by Roberto218 »

I think that in addition to starting pitching, the Bucs need to upgrade at SS. Mercer's defense regressed last year and the offense is below average. This would require bringing in new blood since Newman isn't ready yet.
fjk090852-7

2017 Outlook

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am somewhat baffled when I hear or read that Mercers fielding has regressed. I know he is not the next Ossie Smith, but he is a very steady shortstop. You don't hold your breath when a ball gets hit to short much like we did with Cedenio or Frankie Traveras. Mercer in my opinion is a solid defender.
Ecbucs

2017 Outlook

Post by Ecbucs »

676B6A3138313934332C36010 wrote: I am somewhat baffled when I hear or read that Mercers fielding has regressed. I know he is not the next Ossie Smith, but he is a very steady shortstop. You don't hold your breath when a ball gets hit to short much like we did with Cedenio or Frankie Traveras. Mercer in my opinion is a solid defender.

I agree with this about Mercer. He is very steady on both offense and defense. He probably makes less than he deserves. If he was flashier or had one very good offensive season he would cost a lot more. I like that he makes few errors. If the ball is hit near him he gets it and makes the play.
Bobster21

2017 Outlook

Post by Bobster21 »

436564736575060 wrote: I am somewhat baffled when I hear or read that Mercers fielding has regressed. I know he is not the next Ossie Smith, but he is a very steady shortstop. You don't hold your breath when a ball gets hit to short much like we did with Cedenio or Frankie Traveras. Mercer in my opinion is a solid defender.

I agree with this about Mercer.  He is very steady on both offense and defense.  He probably makes less than he deserves.  If he was flashier or had one very good offensive season he would cost a lot more.  I like that he makes few errors.  If the ball is hit near him he gets it and makes the play.

Agreed. I think Mercer is underrated.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Outlook

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Locking up Mercer will and should be the first move of the off season. Believe it or not, Mercer has been my favorite player fro years. I like his attitude, always having fun, super nice guy, and a solid all around player. I am never afraid when a ball is hit to him. He is very smooth at SS.