Official 2022 Pirates Owner/Front Office Bitching Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

626E6F343D343C31362933040 wrote: The Twins have according to sources, signed Correa to a 6 year contract for 200 million dollars. That is roughly 33 million dollars per year. The Twins are not a large market team, and they are spending a lot of money on one player. Why cannot the Pirates give Reynolds 6 years at 120 million dollars, or 20 million per year ? Nutting should not be allowed to own an MLB franchise.

If Nutting agreed to pay Reynolds $20 million per year, history indicating that being very unlikely, the other 25 players would have to share about $40 million, an average of $1.6 million each.  That would mean about 15 of those guys would have to be earning the minimum so that the few veterans on the team could be paid, but they wouldn’t get much, either.  Odds aren’t good that the team would be very competitive.

Nutting has been in charge of the franchise since 2007.  The next time he “spends a lot of money on one player”, or even spends money like an owner who tries to win, will be the first time.  His 15 years of ownership gives us a pretty good idea of what we can expect.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: The Twins have according to sources, signed Correa to a 6 year contract for 200 million dollars. That is roughly 33 million dollars per year. The Twins are not a large market team, and they are spending a lot of money on one player. Why cannot the Pirates give Reynolds 6 years at 120 million dollars, or 20 million per year ? Nutting should not be allowed to own an MLB franchise.

If Nutting agreed to pay Reynolds $20 million per year, history indicating that being very unlikely, the other 25 players would have to share about $40 million, an average of $1.6 million each.  That would mean about 15 of those guys would have to be earning the minimum so that the few veterans on the team could be paid, but they wouldn’t get much, either.  Odds aren’t good that the team would be very competitive.

Nutting has been in charge of the franchise since 2007.  The next time he “spends a lot of money on one player”, or even spends money like an owner who tries to win, will be the first time.  His 15 years of ownership gives us a pretty good idea of what we can expect.

don't forget that Neal H. said the team did a study and no team was a winner (not sure if he was just talking about World Series winners or teams in the playoffs) if one player makes 15% or more of the payroll.

That doesn't make sense but since it is based on a study I guess it is easier to be rationalize it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

456362756373000 wrote: The Twins have according to sources, signed Correa to a 6 year contract for 200 million dollars. That is roughly 33 million dollars per year. The Twins are not a large market team, and they are spending a lot of money on one player. Why cannot the Pirates give Reynolds 6 years at 120 million dollars, or 20 million per year ? Nutting should not be allowed to own an MLB franchise.

don't forget that Neal H. said the team did  a study and no team was a winner (not sure if he was just talking about World Series winners or teams in the playoffs) if one player makes 15% or more of the payroll.

That doesn't make sense but since it is based on a study I guess it is easier to be rationalize it.

I can imagine NH went to great lengths to rationalize not spending Nutting’s money. Doing so is what kept him employed for so long. He was very good at following his boss’s direction that maximum profit was the priority, winning be damned.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

643224303F25353E332416313B373F3A7835560 wrote:

I can imagine NH went to great lengths to rationalize not spending Nutting’s money.  Doing so is what kept him employed for so long.  He was very good at following his boss’s direction that maximum profit was the priority, winning be damned.

I've always wondered if BN would have loosened the purse strings a bit under NH, especially when they started to improve. I feel that NH wanted to be a more successful Billy Beane. The A's had numerous MVP and Cy Young candidate types even in the moneyball era, the Pirates essentially had only Cutch. Had NH pulled off the miracle of winning it all, he could have punched his ticket anywhere, and I think that's what he was trying to do.
2drfischer@gmail.c

6D4B4C59505C4B5D553E0 wrote:

I can imagine NH went to great lengths to rationalize not spending Nutting’s money.  Doing so is what kept him employed for so long.  He was very good at following his boss’s direction that maximum profit was the priority, winning be damned.

I've always wondered if BN would have loosened the purse strings a bit under NH, especially when they started to improve. I feel that NH wanted to be a more successful Billy Beane. The A's had numerous MVP and Cy Young candidate types even in the moneyball era, the Pirates essentially had only Cutch. Had NH pulled off the miracle of winning it all, he could have punched his ticket anywhere, and I think that's what he was trying to do.

NH's biggest problems were that he was a poor talent evaluator and he hired poor player developers. I'm not sure he'd have succeeded even if Nutting agreed to spend more.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

In what I think is fairness, I wouldn't rate him poor in talent evaluation.  He may have been weak in evaluating suspects, but few are excellent at that, anyway.  A run of success makes just about anyone look good, but there's often a run of lesser results, too.  If we count the Rays, Cardinals, Dodgers, Yankees, and maybe A's, that's five teams of 30.

A poor talent evaluator wouldn't have done nearly as well.  To me, that would have described his predecessor.

I'd say that Huntington was better at evaluating more established players, but agree that he should've been better on suspects.

When you rely on suspects, you deserve to get what you get in the first place.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Excellent article in todays PG Which centers around

how Cherington has used the Tampa model since Ben

arrived on the scene. I think you will find it interesting

and informative