Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Benny DiStefano was an outfielder/1B who the Bucs tried to make into a catcher. He threw left.

Checking BR, he caught a total of 6 innings in 1989. I remember him but get half way to work before realizing I don't have my lunch...
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

545859020B020A07001F05320 wrote: Jason Castro has signed with the Angels. The veteran free agent catching depth is becoming less and less.
So much for me thinking that the managerial connection between Shelton and Castro would carry some weight. If it was a bidding war, of course the Pirates lost. I just wonder how much they might have lost by.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

587279497E6868640B0 wrote: Jason Castro has signed with the Angels. The veteran free agent catching depth is becoming less and less.
So much for me thinking that the managerial connection between Shelton and Castro would carry some weight. If it was a bidding war, of course the Pirates lost. I just wonder how much they might have lost by.

IMHO, I believe they felt they had addressed their catching need when they signed Maille. :(
mouse

Post by mouse »

I don't think they are building toward 2020. They will likely add catchers at the minor league levels as products of trades and perhaps in the draft.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah, i always thought that a main catcher acquisition would be a trade for a younger guy.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is some thought out of the White Sox group that they might be willing to trade catcher James McCann for bullpen help. Possibly a trade of Kela for McCann could benefit both teams.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

There just has to be more. I understand not wanting to spend crazy money on 2020 I suppose, but there just has to be something else. I don't buy Stallings as a real mid-term option, and heaven forbid he gets hurt. There isn't anyone who projects as a "real" starting catcher anywhere in the organization that I can see.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6460685F49596C4B442A0 wrote: There just has to be more. I understand not wanting to spend crazy money on 2020 I suppose, but there just has to be something else. I don't buy Stallings as a real mid-term option, and heaven forbid he gets hurt. There isn't anyone who projects as a "real" starting catcher anywhere in the organization that I can see.
I look at this from BC's perspective. He was hired to be better at building a good team on minimal money than NH was. I'm sure BC wants that challenge but can't immediately tell his boss that he needs more money to get a catcher. Instead, he used his experience with Toronto to identify Maile as a low cost, good defensive catcher who BC probably feels has potential. It's the kind of move that infuriates fans who are tired of seeing the talent ebb away to save money but would be a feather in BC's cap if it actually works out. So I think he wants to give this a try instead of acquiring a more established player.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0D0F151305600 wrote: I don't think they are building toward 2020. They will likely add catchers at the minor league levels as products of trades and perhaps in the draft.

They are obviously punting 2020 based on activity or lack there of. Have a feeling 2021 will be a punt job too. So, who is the odds on favorite being the 2021 top overall pick? we will be in there.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Even the Rockies have managed to find and sign a catcher (minor league contract) -- https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/ ... -diaz.html