Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

A Second Slow Free Agent Offseason

Post by Roberto218 »

Markakis keeps getting better.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I wish the Pirates would just announce WE ARE NOT TRYING TO WIN.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

755744595A5F58577443555559360 wrote: I wish the Pirates would just announce WE ARE NOT TRYING TO WIN.

If you read between the lines, they've already done that. >:(
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

27253F392F4A0 wrote: It seems like they are pained at the thought of moving payroll over 70 MM -- no way they offer any top free agent.

I would say that their payroll ceiling is more like $100M. the reason it's so low in 2019 is the number of pre-arb players occupying prominent roles on the team. It's a matter of timing, Taillon, Williams, Bell, Musgrove, Diaz and Frazier will all be arbitration eligible in 2020. If Taillon and Williams repeat 2018, they would be looking at very large raises.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: I wish the Pirates would just announce WE ARE NOT TRYING TO WIN.

If you read between the lines, they've already done that.  >:(

It is sad that they cannot sign a couple players,like a pitcher and shortstop, which would make their team more competitive. They make the two big trades at the July 31 deadline, and tell the fan base the trades were made not just for the 2018 season,but beyond. They are in a very tough division, and in order to compete with the 4 other teams in the division they need to add to the roster, or else it is going to be a very long season.
BenM

Post by BenM »

5B57560D040D05080F100A3D0 wrote: I wish the Pirates would just announce WE ARE NOT TRYING TO WIN.

If you read between the lines, they've already done that.  >:(

It is sad that they cannot sign a couple players,like a pitcher and shortstop, which would make their team more competitive.

The can, they just choose not to.

(Internal options)
notes34

Post by notes34 »

1F223C313E343F1D3522333534500 wrote: No reason to even dream about this. They aren't going to commit $25M plus to a guy when they are not expressing any desire to move to a payroll over 100M. If they were to make a decision to boost their target payroll, it would still be questionable, as then you are committing way to high of a percentage to one player.
That's fine but they also have to know who they aren't keeping and what salary will be shed. There's no reason not to at least go after a SS.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E6F7465733334000 wrote: No reason to even dream about this. They aren't going to commit $25M plus to a guy when they are not expressing any desire to move to a payroll over 100M. If they were to make a decision to boost their target payroll, it would still be questionable, as then you are committing way to high of a percentage to one player.
That's fine but they also have to know who they aren't keeping and what salary will be shed. There's no reason not to at least go after a SS.
If I try to look at the SS situation from the standpoint of TBMTIB, I think they are satisfied with the "internal options." Their priority is to maintain a very low payroll. They demonstrate this every year. They put together what they consider the best roster they can based on a shoestring budget and I'm sure they would prefer to win but only under that constraint. The flip side to that is that they would prefer losing with a low payroll to winning with anything even approaching an MLB average payroll. The Pirate roster doesn't realistically compare to the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and now even the Reds and the shortstops they would consider won't make enough of a difference anyway. So they probably feel it would be a waste of several million just for a moderate upgrade over Gonzalez/Newman. They gave up players for Gonzalez and invested a 1st rd pick in Newman so they probably want to get something back on those investments. And if those guys fail to be adequate, Tucker may be the answer a year later anyway. And if 2019 is the year before they bridge that gap, they don't figure to be a post season contender even if they paid a few million to bring in a better SS. So I suspect they plan to sink or swim with what they have now.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: No reason to even dream about this. They aren't going to commit $25M plus to a guy when they are not expressing any desire to move to a payroll over 100M. If they were to make a decision to boost their target payroll, it would still be questionable, as then you are committing way to high of a percentage to one player.
If I try to look at the SS situation from the standpoint of TBMTIB, I think they are satisfied with the "internal options." Their priority is to maintain a very low payroll. They demonstrate this every year. They put together what they consider the best roster they can based on a shoestring budget and I'm sure they would prefer to win but only under that constraint. The flip side to that is that they would prefer losing with a low payroll to winning with anything even approaching an MLB average payroll. The Pirate roster doesn't realistically compare to the Cubs, Cards, Brewers and now even the Reds and the shortstops they would consider won't make enough of a difference anyway. So they probably feel it would be a waste of several million just for a moderate upgrade over Gonzalez/Newman. They gave up players for Gonzalez and invested a 1st rd pick in Newman so they probably want to get something back on those investments. And if those guys fail to be adequate, Tucker may be the answer a year later anyway. And if 2019 is the year before they bridge that gap, they don't figure to be a post season contender even if they paid a few million to bring in a better SS. So I suspect they plan to sink or swim with what they have now.   
So why did they even bother with the Archer trade? That makes zero sense if they didn't plan on improving the rest of the roster. I like Archer, but wouldn't having Meadows in RF look good right now? I get so frustrated with this organization. It seems they have no idea which direction to go, except with the bottom line.
Quail

Post by Quail »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: No reason to even dream about this. They aren't going to commit $25M plus to a guy when they are not expressing any desire to move to a payroll over 100M. If they were to make a decision to boost their target payroll, it would still be questionable, as then you are committing way to high of a percentage to one player.

Bobster, your logic is depressingly perfect. :'(